can anyone confirm?

Comments

• Bromley86
    Bromley86 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    At a guess, it's not binding until the end of the auction
  • Jockey666
    Options
    They say they are, but who would it bee down to, to enforce it?

I think the Police would have better things to do than chase up bidders who don't pay!
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably need some precedent set in court to find out for sure.

You up for paying to find out pinkgem, I'll chip in a fiver if you like :)
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a strange one this, yes they are legally binding, but as far as I know it hasn't been tested in court. In fact it very rarely gets tested in bricks & mortar auction rooms.
    The main problem is that if someone doesn't pay, then the probable rason is they haven't got the money so taking them to court is pointless. The usual route is to resell the item and sue for the shortfall (if there is any) this has happened and is usually found in favour of the auctioneer.
  • Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    Options
    Is eBay really an auction?

Under the Sale of Goods Act, a bidder at an auction may retract his or her bid at any time before it finishes.

Yet, you're not allowed to do this on eBay.

Surely if it were really an auction, it would have to comply with the law regarding auctions?
  • heskpesk
    heskpesk Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    Options
    If it was legally binding in theory you could sue each non payer for breach of contract- sounds good although a little costly!!
  • under-the-thumb
    Options
    Marty_J wrote: »

Under the Sale of Goods Act, a bidder at an auction may retract his or her bid at any time before it finishes.

Surely if it were really an auction, it would have to comply with the law regarding auctions?

You can retract your bid on ebay. Go to buyers resources in my ebay and you will see the link.
    All hail the Moyesiah.
  • Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    Options
    You can only retract your bid under certain circumstances:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/questions/retract-bid.html
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    pinkgem wrote: »
    i used to think they were but have since read that they weren't

can anyone confirm?

Ebay law vs. real law...
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    heskpesk wrote: »
    If it was legally binding in theory you could sue each non payer for breach of contract- sounds good although a little costly!!

In theory you can sue anyone for anything, its winning that's the hard bit, there's all those lawyers and judges getting in the way.

There's the odd case every so often of someone suing a big company and winning as the company had mislaid the summons or something similar.

MARTY_J wrote:

Its a lot easier to withdraw your bid on Ebay than in an auction room. The whole law concerning sales and auctions both on and offline is a very grey area and probably needs a complete overhaul. Most auction rooms have as part of their terms that the auction is "Not a consumer sale", from a law passed in the 19th century and covers 'sold as seen', 'buyer beware' etc. There are quite a number of laws relating to auctions, and a few can be considered contradictory. If anyone had withdrawn bids during an auction I was running (unless it was a genuine error) I would ignore all their future bids, a lot of salerooms I know would have them removed.

Having said that, not being a consumer sale has not stopped auction houses being prosecuted by Trading Standards!

Auctions on Ebay are covered by some of the laws relating to non online auctions, the major difference is that an item needs to be able to be viewed before an online auction can be considered to be on a par with an offline one. Again it is only "in theory", but if you offer a viewing day for items on Ebay then you can be covered more by law.

A lot of the time, 'the law' uses common sense, so whether a bid was binding would depend on the circumstances and why the person couldn't or wouldn't follow their bid with a payment.

Offline auctions tend to take deposits and non paying bidders forfeit their deposit, so it cuts out the need to go to court.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure