Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • debs66
    • 30th Jun 08, 3:29 PM
    • 30th Jun 08, 3:29 PM
    hi, i always take my straighteners and any other electrical appliance (hairdryer etc) in my hand luggage.

i think (though not 100% sure?) that you should take them as hand luggage anyway. i'm always cautious of putting them in a case. i think that if they show up a bit odd when scanned, then the case could be interfered with/opened etc. my reason for thinking this is that one year, my partner had a small travel hairdryer in his hand luggage, and when the bag went through the x-ray scanning machine, we could clearly see it on on the monitor that the guard was checking - and i kid you not it looked exactly like a small gun!

he saw it, stopped us, and the hairdryer was revealed. we were just pleased he was doing their job though.
  • sarzzz
    • 30th Jun 08, 3:32 PM
    Hair straighteners
    • 30th Jun 08, 3:32 PM
    I flew with Easyjet from Gatwick a few weeks ago and was not sure about this. In the end, I packed them to be checked into the hold. There was a notice saying please let them know about any electrical items in the hold, so I was worried they wouldn't let me take the straighteners at all, but I advised the girl at check in and she said they were fine. Does anyone else know about hand luggage?
    • busiscoming2
    • By busiscoming2 30th Jun 08, 3:58 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 11,511 Thanks
    busiscoming2
    • 30th Jun 08, 3:58 PM
    • 30th Jun 08, 3:58 PM
    My daughter carries them in hand luggage, I pack them in the suitcase.
  • donny osmonds mad fan
    • 30th Jun 08, 7:14 PM
    • 30th Jun 08, 7:14 PM
    it's not sharp, it isnt a liquid...shouldnt be a problem. I last took some hand luggage in 2006 and took them round the world in and out of japan, oz, nz, usa with no issue...just dont try and plug them in if there is an electrical point on board lol as mine smell of burning at times and can just imagine the panic now!!
    • clarabell1984
    • By clarabell1984 30th Jun 08, 7:35 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    clarabell1984
    • 30th Jun 08, 7:35 PM
    • 30th Jun 08, 7:35 PM
    I take my GHd's in my hand luggage all the time for the same reason as your saying. I took them recently a few weeks ago to lanzarote and have never has a problem! x
    • choccyface2006
    • By choccyface2006 30th Jun 08, 8:06 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    choccyface2006
    • 30th Jun 08, 8:06 PM
    • 30th Jun 08, 8:06 PM
    I have taken them both in my hold luggage and in my hand luggage in the past, no probs either way

Sarah
    Quidco - £572.82Other cashback - £150 (Nikon x 3) Competition winnings - £100 cash + £3000 of Canon cameras for my team
  • thatsfabulous
    • 30th Jun 08, 11:33 PM
    • 30th Jun 08, 11:33 PM
    Carrying hair straighteners is absolutley fine. Its just liquids (100ml)and pointy instruments,such as nail files,scissors, that are banned. (I still cant beleive that vaseline and sudocrem are still banned , but, hey ho, there you go!) x
    Originally posted by garlicbreadxxx
    100% agreed! Hair straighteners are fine to carry in your hand luggage.

The only type you would need to ask about is the portable ones with the cartriges, If i remember right you cant carry any spares in hand luggage.
  • gouldilocks
    • 2nd Jul 08, 7:32 PM
    • 2nd Jul 08, 7:32 PM
    The only type you would need to ask about is the portable ones with the cartriges, If i remember right you cant carry any spares in hand luggage.[/quote

Anything with the gas cartridges can only have one attached to it and no spares in either checked or hold luggage, they are considered dangerous goods.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 2nd Jul 08, 9:10 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    sheilavw
    Hand luggage for us. About 3 years ago we flew to Dalaman airport in Turkey. Our holdall came through with zip bust and the straighteners smashed to bits (ghds) ended up getting about £30 back after knocking excess and wear and tear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,307Posts Today

8,740Users online

Martin's Twitter