PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all
    I will be on holiday for two weeks in June, but DS3 is home alone and practising for when he goes to uni in September. So please put me back to £150. This is from 31st May until 29th June, £80 for him, and £70 for the both of us when I am home.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £323.97/1200
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    NSD again today, thank goodness for 10hr workdays stopping me wandering around town :rotfl:

Nothing fancy to eat today, just some scrambled tofu on toast for lunch (which to be fair was absolutely delicious) and baked potato with beans for dinner... which as basic and cheap as it is, it an absolute favourite here and usually features in the menu plan each week.
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Elsiepac, I'm intrigued by your menus - do you mostly eat the same thing all week? I sometimes cook something that we have twice or three times, but I'm interested in taking that further, particularly with lunches. I completely lack lunchtime inspiration!

Hi allmannerofthings, I recently started doing a menu plan based on number of portions rather than rigidly choosing what I eat on what day, as I found that quiteoften something would come up, or I would eat out, or fancy something different... I wanted to menu plan so I switched to this method. By the way, I am just feeding myself.

So now, every week I choose 3 or 4 recipes. Usually I will choose at least 2 I know and love, and I like to have at least one new one, although I don't always. The number of recipes depends on how many portions each makes, and usually I make sure at least one is freezable as I'll often have a portion or two leftover.
    That way, I do my shop based on the ingredients needed, so I can have what I want and when I want, as long as it's in these confines. I tend to also buy extra veg, as I have veggie sticks or smoothies for snacks, plus I tend to end up having roast veg with a protein on a Friday night, which uses up extra bits and is my lazy meal! Often I will do prep on a Sunday as well, chopping veg for recipes so I'm not put off cooking or making, on a worknight.

I don't usually separate into lunches and dinners, the plan I laid out was what is likely to happen, but it's always subject to change.

Each of the above recipes will make 3-4 portions.

I hope that helps?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Afternoon all

Thank you Zippy and Coxy for running the thread again.

A very warm welcome to all the new and returning peoples :hello: Please ask if you need any help and I hope you all enjoy the challenge. Good luck for June and hope we all have some 'salad' days :D

I am sticking to my usual £200 for the month, which is from first to last of the month. This is for all our food, laundry and toiletries for myself and my DH.

I am definitely starting to notice the prices rising now and it's getting harder to comfortably stay in budget. However, I'm going to persevere for now and see how we go.

In May for now but will 'see' you all soon. Have a great week.
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • allmannerofthings
    Options
    elsiepac wrote: »

Hi allmannerofthings, I recently started doing a menu plan based on number of portions rather than rigidly choosing what I eat on what day, as I found that quiteoften something would come up, or I would eat out, or fancy something different... I wanted to menu plan so I switched to this method. By the way, I am just feeding myself.

So now, every week I choose 3 or 4 recipes. Usually I will choose at least 2 I know and love, and I like to have at least one new one, although I don't always. The number of recipes depends on how many portions each makes, and usually I make sure at least one is freezable as I'll often have a portion or two leftover.

Really helpful, thank you! Great way of meal planning, I really like this!
  • FoxFace
    Options
    NSD logged for yesterday... I think this will be the majority of my posts to be honest, as I rarely leave the house :o

Nothing fancy about yesterday, made some hummus for lunch... used the leftover homemade tomato chilli sauce from the other day and served with wholewheat pasta for dinner.

Curious and very happy little side effect of this... I'm losing weight :T

As one of my main money flaws is pointless snack foods and eating out of boredom, not spending money on this food I don't need is not only saving me money, but also my waistline :D

I'm not really trying to lose weight, but as I guess I am a little heavier than I would like, it's certainly welcome :rotfl:
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Start of the month for me again today ... £300 for this month again
    I came under budget last month so fingers crossed again ;)

Just wanna say a massive thanks as this really has helped me take some control back :)
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Thanks Zippy and Coxy. Can you put me down for £110 for June?
    The budget for what has turned out to be April 20th -May 31st was £140 and I should come in £20-£30 under that. However I was VERY frugal on everyday spends; the May spends included £15 of buffet food, and I'd like more leeway.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • FoxFace
    Options
    Logging NSD today :)

Leftover hummus sandwiches today for lunch, dinner is Tofu satay with noodles... I have updated the recipe for this in my thread, link in my signature :)

Hope everyone is enjoying this lovely hot weather :)

Fox
    x
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hello again all
    can I be in for £170 this month please, £10 over my usual budget but have seen that it's worked out I need laundry detergent, loo rolls, etc etc all in the same month.
    I'm usually pretty good at staggering when I need them all so I must've taken my eye off the ball somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure