PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Save Money Good Food ITV

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Just watched it, n quite enjoyed tge fornat.Matt is really likeable, n came up with some great tips n recipes.Will deffo be trying the roasted cauliflower :)
    He is, I like him in Saturday Kitchen.
  • mrsyardbroom
    mrsyardbroom Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a great programme for most people but I will still be throwing away food that has the slightest chance of being off. My husband has had a kidney transplant and the advice he had from the hospital was never to use anything that has gone past it's sell by date or best before date.
    I liked the look of the recipes and may try them out with different spices that aren't so hot. Some good money saving tips. I usually throw broccoli stalks away. I've never thought of grating them and using them in anything.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pork was shown as £3.06 a kg, they had at least that Cauli was fresh out of the supermarket,mans it's only now they have dropped in price since Christmas so we can say 99p.

What they showed was what they spent at the supermarket for that meal, pork, Cauli, bulb of garlic, large bar of chocolate , bag of flour, an onion

What they didn't count in were the herbs and spices , tinned tomatoes, the bananas , the pomegranate

It was pretty misleading tbh. Sure when you have store cupboard ingredients things do start to cost pennies per a meal , the the initial outlay can be very expensive. One meal they made to be very cheap had saffron and arborio rice

Now us oldstylers who cook from scratch more then likely have these ingredient so can knock up a meal for pennies. Yet this family supposedly spent nearly £200 a week on convenience foods before they were shown the error of their ways

Yes.I dont think it is helpful for them to lump in store-cupboard ingredients for free.
    You might as well say that my Easter dinner for five will only cost £1.50, the price of carrots and cauliflower, seen as I already have the goose, the spuds and the pudding in the freezer!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The chap who was the presenter was OK and a lot more likeable than the gurning Greg Wallace ,but the woman presenter remined me of a prefect at school or a girl guide captain ,very irritating at times I half expected her to put the grown ups on the naughty step !!! Wish they would get 'normal' families on ther that really struggle to streeetch their cash out. But then I guess they wouldn't have beautiful all mod -con kitchens and photogenic houses
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That cake thing he cooked up looked very pale and uninteresting.
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was a little obsessed with Eat Well For Less and despite being far from Susanna Reid's biggest fan this will fill the void left by Eat Well For Less nicely.

I like the overall 'let's cut down on food waste' message, and that past its sell by date cafe/supermarket place sounds like a great idea.

I do agree that you should really be costing the store cupboard ingredients, it is very misleading to say all the meals were under £5 when they might have used double that cost in the store cupboard items.

I actually found the content more interesting and informative on this show, I never knew how discount stores could make their profit before. And seeing professional foodie people eat own brand beans and cornflakes without combusting might finally convince people that it is nothing to fear.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Bumblebear
    Bumblebear Posts: 105 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    And seeing professional foodie people eat own brand beans and cornflakes without combusting might finally convince people that it is nothing to fear.

It would, except sadly I expect that the vast majority of the population who need to understand this probably weren't watching the programme/paying attention/don't care :( I think sometimes because it's food, and we need food to live, it sort of becomes "OK" for some people to shove high grocery bills on credit cards that aren't instantly paid off, if you know what I mean.

DH comes from a bit of a "stick with the brands you know" family. I think I've worked my magic with him!
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Will deffo be trying the roasted cauliflower :)
    On Super-6 offer at Aldi atm.
    Bumblebear wrote: »
    DH comes from a bit of a "stick with the brands you know" family. I think I've worked my magic with him!
    I usually go with generics but thought twice this afternoon. I stopped by a Lidl for some salted butter, at 99p its the same price as Aldi's and considerably cheaper than other SMs. Except it wasn't the usual "Morning Fresh" as the shelf-talker stated, but some other generic brand (Dairy Churn?). The unsalted - which I don't buy - at £1.09 was Morning Fresh. My suspicions were immediately raised :cool:; somehow I didn't trust it and I left the store without any butter.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    I do agree that you should really be costing the store cupboard ingredients, it is very misleading to say all the meals were under £5 when they might have used double that cost in the store cupboard items.

I agree they shouldn't mislead but one of the things they've demonstrated in the first two shows is that the people have loads of food in their fridges/freezers/cupboards that would make meals and they should use it up instead of just buying more. They started the programmes by cooking a meal from what they had in already.

I am finding it irritating that the recipes don't seem to be available online.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Think the recipes are only going to be available if you buy the book for the series. Read it on another thread on MSE but can't remember which one!

Denise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport