Solar PV quote

Options
Had a quote of £5,595 for a 4 kW system on my south facing roof from GreenEnergy Nationionwide.
Panels - SolarWorld sunmodule plus - 16 x 250 W
Samil inverter

The quote include EPC, MCS/DNO registration, VAT.

Anyone had any experience with this company.
The quote sounds reasonable?

Also any suggestions for a monitor for the system. Should I ask them to fit one. They offer a Geo at £50 off for £149, the model seems to be available on Amazon for £99.95 but might not be the same one.

Comments

• tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Price looks good for a 4kWp system, do you have any shading issues though? What sort of returns are they quoting too?

Just post a bit more info up. As i said, price is bang on the money but don't know anything about about the company so can't comment on them.

There's also plenty of monitors about, all depends what you want from one as to what's probably the best. The Wattson solar plus is good and allows add ons(optiplug) to make use of excess generation,will you be in in the day to make use of it?
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No shading issues.
    They estimate a yield of 3870 kW year 1, 3270 kW year 25
    FIT £557 to £936 year 20
    Fuel saving £271 to £2254 year 25
    Export income £92 to £155 year 20
    Total £920 to £2541 year 20 £2254 year 25

I'm ignoring most of that though as it depends on inflation and my usage.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hiya nrsql. Good looking price!

Generation estimate suggests the roof is fairly south facing, is that right.

The interesting thing about those numbers is that the FiT and export appear to be based on 2.5% inflation compounded. Which seems fair ...... anyone's guess, but not unreasonable.

However, the leccy savings seem to be based on 10% compounded (allowing for some panel degradation), and that doesn't seem reasonable. But sounds like you'd already spotted that.

If you take a look at the PV FAQ, you'll be able to double check the generation estimate, from which FiT and export can be calculated.

Suggest you work on leccy savings of about £120 (£80 to £160). You might be able to do better, but best to be cautious at first.

BTW, nice price. :)

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • nrsql
    Options
    Within about 10 degrees of south.

I don't use a lot of electricity so suspect the estimates are way out (alone in a 4 bed house). Not too worried about that. Suspect it will pay for itself in under 10 years but who knows.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With the quote you have you may as well "invest" in the right type of monitor/add on.
    You have a very competitive quote and with a couple of extras that can be bought and your total still be under £6k its worth getting the right kit first time and making use of the 5% VAT rate at the same time.

Do you have a hot water tank/immersion?
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • nigelpm
    nigelpm Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    FWIW, they quoted me the same before the tariff change - so reckon you can shave £100 off. I liked them, really professional and a good price however I went for a local firm who used better quality kit.

I'd be nervous about the Samil Inverter - purely because it's Chinese and a long way to be sent back if it fails.
  • nigelpm
    Options
    nrsql wrote: »
    Also any suggestions for a monitor for the system. Should I ask them to fit one. They offer a Geo at £50 off for £149, the model seems to be available on Amazon for £99.95 but might not be the same one.

Might just be me but I wouldn't bother. Go for solar immersion (iboost is cheap) if you have a HWC and you get a handle on how much you are generating surplus.
  • nrsql
    edited 25 April 2014 at 4:46PM
    Options
    nigelpm
    What better quality kit did you go for?
    I had to ask which models they supplied as they just gave the manufacturer

Samil SolarRiver 3680TL

SolarWorld 250w Mono panels
    which must be the Sunmodule Plus SW 250-275 mono black

I git a quote from another local company which came in at £6995 for the same kit.
  • nigelpm
    Options
    nrsql wrote: »
    nigelpm
    What better quality kit did you go for?

Inverter - Steca SG-3600

Panels - REC 250PE-BLK

System is performing very well so far.
  • reloaded25
    reloaded25 Posts: 34 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2014 at 7:11PM
    Options
    Evening All, been getting a few quotes and I am looking for some experienced opinion as I am a bit of a novice here. They should all be 4kw systems and our roof faces pretty much due south ( within a couple of degrees) and the roof has a 40 degree angle. The roof is only shaded at all during december and this is only very slightly until about 10am.

Quote 1 16 Canadian solar mono 250 panels, power one Aurora inverter, schletter fixings £5700

Quote 2 16 833 Solar Gallium mono 250 panels, power one Aurora inverter, schlepper fixings £6400

Quote 3 16 833 Solar Gallium mono 250 panels, 16 Enphase microinverters, schletter fixings £7400

Any help give would be gratefully received.
    16 x 250w mono 803 Eternity Panels, Aurora 3.6 inverter, owl intuition pv monitoring facing due south in sunny Norfolk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure