Hair help - I'm useless!

Options
For years I've had shoulder length hair but am growing it out and it's a few inches past my shoulders now.
I wear it down 99% of the time purely because I have literally no idea how to put it up. I'm not even very good at putting it in a ponytail without it looking messy - I don't know what to do with my parting when I tie it up :o
I don't know how to do a bun either, other than the type where you pull it back through the hairband after making a pontytail - I really am at absolute beginner level when it comes to hair but I'm too old to be such a scruff!

Can anyone suggest some simple but pretty up-do's I could try? Any youtube tutorials anyone would recommend?

Comments

• helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi -I am useless too, but found these very useful as I could tie my hair back then weave the ponytail in with the scrunchie to make a big messy bun. It must match well though!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hair-Scrunchie-Bun-Hairpiece-Elastic-Synthetic-Natural-Look-Hair-Extention-/182534970041?var=&hash=item2a7fee9ab9:m:mlgjhvOLVggdwYm-eSp-CFA
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to have long hair, with no problems, but have had it cut short since my forties.

At first I had a perm, which was just wash and comb through, but after a couple of unsatisfactory experiences (different hairdressers) gave that up and just went for style and colour.

However, it is a waste of effort for the hairdresser to show me the back, as I never get it right myself. (Pity wigs aren't in fashion, again.)
  • catherinekate
    Options
    Claire's sell (or used to) a bun maker which is two bits of foam, you roll your hair up around it and sort of snap it together, and it makes a bun. There are instructions on the box, it takes a bit of practice though.

You don't say whether your hair is straight or wavy, if it's wavy, you can get away with a lot more scruffiness and it'll look lovely. I'm a straight girl and that needs a bit more care!

For a nape-of-neck ponytail or barrette style I leave my parting where it is, for anything higher I tend to brush hair into the ponytail straight back from my forehead (not too severely though and not too tight! beware the ponytail-induced facelift!) - again a little scruffiness is helpful!

Hope that's of some help!
  • sam.4000
    sam.4000 Posts: 1,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are loads of tutorials on YouTube. I am lazy with my hair and it is either plait, bun, clip or ponytail and occasionally a French plait but only when it is in the mood.
  • tensandunits_2
    Options
    I'm having rather similar issues. Long hair is nice, but it takes some looking after.
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    have a look on Pinterest, plenty of ideas on there and how to do it
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    i have the perfect youtuber to recommend to you. She is a hairdresser who gives easy to follow tutorials that are simple steps but produce stunning results. It is the small things blog. https://www.youtube.com/user/K8bryan
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I find some great ideas on this blog http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/category/beauty/hair/
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure