Grants for new boiler

Options

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Michelle

Thanks for your response. It now seems to me that the idea of an interest-free loan, which you've arranged for your Dad, would have been the best option for us. Of course we could take on an ordinary loan - even as wrinklies DH and I are incredibly credit-worthy (LOL) - but we really didn't want to. The more I think about it, the more I think that the WarmFront grant will be a case of THEM telling US what they think we should have and the maximum they're prepared to do. For example, we've been put down to receive a hot-water-tank jacket. Big deal - these things cost a fiver. Also some 'compact fluorescent light-bulbs' - we have these throughout the house anyway. Again - big deal!

It seems ironic that WarmFront are sending an installer whom we don't know, maybe from a distance, just because they have their list of approved installers. Where we live we're surrounded by craftsmen! Our recent roofing job was carried out by a roofing contractor recommended by Dave the builder who lives 2 doors up. DH has just had discussions with Darren the builder 2 doors down and he'll come and give an estimate for putting down more flooring in the loft and also an industrial-type fluorescent light - to have a boiler in the loft, which we want, there are certain pre-requirements: adequate lighting, adequate flooring for where the boiler is to go, and a proper loft-ladder. Darren fitted the loft-ladder for us last year, he's been in our loft and knows what needs doing - he just has to do some more measuring-up. We want a Vaillant combi boiler and the plumbing/heating engineer, Richard, lives just at the back of Darren!

So really, it's just a question of scraping all the money together that comes in from all sources over the next couple of months or so. It will be a bit tight this year, but not impossible, and the most important thing - it will save us a shedload of money in heating costs over time.

We are a lot more fortunate than many people of our age-group - just goes to show, having a little bit of spare money can't buy you happiness but it can add choice, convenience, you having the say in what's done, when, how, by whom etc.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Further to the above, I'm almost persuading DH for us to go for a loan from smile. 6.9%, 12 months £172.77 a month, £2,073.22 in total, to pay it off earlier it's 1 month's interest. We could probably pay it off in half that time.

DH insists on 'thinking about it'. To me it's a no-brainer! What's to think about? We've been thinking about it for ages!

Still, I'd rather have him like this than the type of DH that unthinkingly 'sticks it on the plastic'. It takes him ages to come to a decision, but once he does, that's it.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • mleonard79
    mleonard79 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Margaret Claire,

Yeah I think you're right about the warm front grants - the more I think about it the more I think my dad probably wouldn't even be eligible but if he was they'd be sending whoever they choose and be making all the decisions which is a scenario I don't like either especially when it comes to our heating. My main concern is getting the cost of heating down and I think a combi boiler like you're talking about will do that job - of course we also want a good working heating system! I have a nasty feeling although these people will fit decent working systems they'll probably go for the cheapest available too since they're paying for it. It is a shame the interest free grants aren't around down south, I think its a very good idea. Although the EEAC did recommend some contractors to us we are able to use anyone we want so long as they comply with corgi standards etc and we wouldn't exactly be looking for someone who didn't so you have a lot of choice.

I actually decided to go with one of the recommended installers in the end though as I found their quote and manner very good. I find it quite hard picking tradesmen as I'm not as fortunate as you with tradesmen on the doorstep who you can trust!! I'm very envious of that! We've had nightmare after nightmare over the years with unscrupulous tradesmen doing bad jobs and charging fortunes for the priviledge. My mum's been trying to get a joiner to fit a little cupboard in our kitchen for 2 years and no joy, we got a new bathroom less than 2 years ago and it was fitted badly, our windows were fitted wrongly and we had to get someone out just this week to adjust them - God the list goes on. That's great to have trustworthy people on your doorstep - I'd pay a premium for that! Let me know how it goes with the loan and the boiler.

Regards

Michelle
    :hello: :hello: :hello:
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Hi Michelle

When looking for someone to do a job, ask around, other people round about may have had work done and can recommend good workers who charge a fair price.

Unfortunately, as people get older there are people out there who can only be described as rip-off merchants. The local paper is always full of horror stories. Above all, never accept a 'cut-price' offer by someone canvassing door-to-door - 'just in the area today, mister, got some spare left over from a council job'. 'Can offer you a good deal/a discount but only if you sign up for it/pay a deposit right now'.

I've learned a lot from my DH, from the way he goes about things following his decades in business. He never pays a deposit, for a start. He won't pay up-front 'I've got to get the materials, mister'. The most he'll do is to pay for materials to be delivered on site and on production of invoice. That way, he isn't paying for materials to go into the builder's stock.

Some good friends of ours recently had their drive block-paved by a local, reputable company. But they'd paid a 20% deposit and then were fobbed off about when the job was actually going to start! First it was this week, then it was next week...eventually an excellent job was done, they're very pleased with it, but there was incredible hassle before any of the team arrived, THEN they had to wait for the materials to be delivered!!

We've been pretty lucky. Our roofing contractor is always busy although he never advertises. We were assuming a couple of months from when we first agreed his estimate. However, one Saturday morning he phoned and said 2 jobs had been delayed and his lads would be sitting around - would we like them to start on the Tuesday morning? Of course we said 'yes'. 4 of them were here before 8 am on the Tuesday and they worked like Trojans. DH paid for the tiles when they were delivered on the Thursday, paid cash on production of invoice (not so easy to get £1400 in cash - all sorts of questions are asked, suspicions of money-laundering etc!) then paid by cheque for the rest of the job when it was completed.

Darren the builder did some work for us last year when we were doing the bedroom - I wanted the light fitting moved to the centre instead of near the window, which was a stupid old-fashioned idea. He re-boarded and skimmed the ceiling for us and fitted the loft ladder - again, he'd been delayed on another job and arrived at 8 am one morning saying 'did we mind?' Of course we were delighted. He's another one who never advertises but is always busy, so it's word-of-mouth recommendation.

We've now decided not to apply for the Smile loan - DH is right, we don't want to get into debt again, not even for the shortest period. With savings we have and money that will be coming in over the next few weeks, we think we'll have the £3K or so scraped together, without too much difficulty, by about the end of the year, and we'll go for the combi boiler in the loft. Darren will do an industrial light-fitting in the loft space for us, plus floor-boarding where the boiler is to go, but to do all that he'll have to liaise with the heating installer Richard, when the system is drained and the pipes are removed. The more I think about it, it makes no sense to have a 40-gallon tank of water sitting up there and having to be kept hot 24/7. It would make sense if we were a family with children, washing always on, baths etc, but we shower every morning and apart from a bit of washing-up and washing maybe twice a week, that's it.

But we are lucky - I know that. I'm lucky having DH with his background - he's so used to acting as project co-ordinator and getting a good deal, he does it almost instinctively nowadays. We're lucky because we have a decent income and not living on state pension alone - I can hardly imagine what that must be like. And yet we're not rich enough to have to worry about IHT - I think we're in the best possible 'happy medium'.

Best wishes

Margaret Clare
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    Bear in mind that there are criteria - she needs to be on some form of means-tested or disability benefit.

'If the gas engineer can get the part'.....this sounds as if the boiler is a bit ancient? In that case it may not be working very efficiently (ours isn't, it's 14 years old) and it might be as well to apply for a WarmFront grant - fuel efficiency is important what with the escalating cost of gas, as well as the effects on the environment.

Margaret Clare

My benefit is not means tested and last year we had a new boiler fitted. I think it would have been repaired except that there was a faint gas smell and the gas engineer from Transco condemned it. As far as I know, we can also have cavity wall insulation and loft insulation but have not brought ourselves
    round to facing the disruption yet. It is worth remembering that if a person has a new boiler it has to be a condensing one. They do not last as long as the one they took out and which we had had for 30 years but still, very nice to have except for the racket in the morning and the unsightly pipe work.
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Jake'sGran wrote:
    My benefit is not means tested and last year we had a new boiler fitted. I think it would have been repaired except that there was a faint gas smell and the gas engineer from Transco condemned it. As far as I know, we can also have cavity wall insulation and loft insulation but have not brought ourselves round to facing the disruption yet. It is worth remembering that if a person has a new boiler it has to be a condensing one. They do not last as long as the one they took out and which we had had for 30 years but still, very nice to have except for the racket in the morning and the unsightly pipe work.

Hi Jake's Gran

You're likely to live in Scotland where they offer these things on age and not on means-tested or disability-related benefits - is that right?

Yes, we know that when we change the boiler it's got to be condensing. What we want is a condensing combi boiler which has no storage tank - the water is heated as it's required. It's making less and less sense to me to have 40 gallons of hot water sitting up there in the loft all the time. We want to put the boiler in the loft.

Could you please explain the racket in the morning - why? And the unsightly pipe-work - why is it unsightly?

You'd probably find that the insulation you've been offered would make a huge difference to the cost of the gas you're using. This really has to be an important consideration the way gas prices are escalating.

We were offered cavity wall insulation only we haven't got cavity walls - this is a 1930s bungalow with single-skin brick walls, no cavities! The insulation we have in the loft already is adequate. It was one of the first things that my late husband did when we moved here in 1990. We need more floor-boards in the loft and better lighting.

Best wishes

Margaret Clare
  • Jake'sGran
    Options
    Hello Margaret, No we are not in Scotland. The North West actually.

I get a small, non means tested benefit which does qualify for the Warmfront grant. The noise in the morning is when the boiler first comes on it seems to "clang" quite a bit. I probably would not notice it except that I sleep in the room next door to where it is fitted i.e. a downstairs bedroom - this is because the bathroom is downstairs. Because of where they said the boiler had to go i.e. in the kitchen above the old boiler housing, the pipes are visible above it and where it leaves the property out of the kitchen wall there is a large gauge pipe which is mandatory because of the condensing aspect of the boiler. It was white but now, after painting, it is not so unappealing to look at. It took the engineer four days to do the work. He said it would have cost a fortune if we'd paid for it. We have a new water cistern and a large double radiator in one room that was cold in winter. We were very impressed with the quality of the work.
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Hi Jake's Gran

I relayed the information you gave to my DH, and here's what he says:

If the boiler is making a noise i.e. a 'clang' there is something wrong with it, because these boilers are virtually silent in operation. We've seen the ones that the young couples on either side of us have - one has been fitted only a few weeks ago - and there's no noise at all, either when they start in the mornings or any other time. DH says you need to get back to the installer or the company, whoever it was who fitted this for you, because it shouldn't be making a 'clang'.

'Because of where they said the boiler had to go' - I am more and more convinced that we'll be better served getting it organised ourselves, that way we might stand a chance of getting it where we want and as we want. Your engineer said 'it would cost a fortune' - we're looking at probably £2,600 - £2,800, is that a 'fortune'? Plus, we can get it done by local craftsmen that we know in the area we live in.

We got some quotes from different installers a year ago, we were thinking of it then, and we kicked one of them into touch because he said the boiler 'had to' go on the kitchen wall. What, and mess up my picture-tiles? No way!

DH is going into hospital for further knee surgery on 21st September. He wants to be able to 'climb up that bl***y ladder' as he said just now, meaning the loft-ladder, and that will take a month or two of recovery time. In the meantime we'll have got the money together so we'll probably look at getting it done the early part of next year.

Best wishes

Margaret Clare
  • Jake'sGran
    Options
    Hi Margaretclare, Sorry if this is late. I am so interested in this board now I have discovered it but must admit I am slow at finding my way around it.

Oddly enough I have not heard the clang noise for a week or so. In any case, the work was inspected twice after the engineer finished the installation and there is an automatic checkup as part of the scheme twelve months later. One thing I did insist on was in retaining my airing cupboard at the top of the stairs. Another gas fitter prior to Warmfront had said I would no longer have a cistern in there. Anyway, we do have a new one with full lagging not the type in two pieces as before.

The price you quote is reasonable. Before we discovered the Warmfront scheme we were being quoted £3000 but we would not have got as much as we now have, i.e. extra radiators. We did call them back as the radiator in our hall was the original and had been fitted sideways on due to the size of the wall. The original gas fitter said it was OK but the second said it had to be replaced and we got a very neat one, much nicer but doesn't get as hot. This just means the hall takes longer to get to the thermostat setting temp.
    I have an idea about getting round covering the pipes in the kitchen. Taking it all round we were very fortunate to get all this done for free.
  • blushred2
    blushred2 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    :j I noticed this thread a while ago, and registered my dads interest in the Warmfront scheme in early Jan 2006.
    It took them a while getting the paperwork done but eventually they sent an inspector out 4 weeks ago.

My dad is 69, retired owns his own home and he gets DLA. He had gas central heating and had always wanted to change it to oil. The warmfront guys agreed that his heating system was on its last legs. They came 8am on Thursday 3rd Aug and had the new oil central heating system all installed by friday at 2pm.

Next week they are coming out to do the cavity walls, insulate the loft and are giving him energy efficent bulbs.

He is absolutely delighted, so thank you to whoever posted all the info about warmfront/ warm homes and eaga.

And to anyone afraid that there may be lots of forms to fill in, don't be they do it all for u.
    Go for it, u have nothing to lose, and in Dad's case it saved him approx £2,500.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure