PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

basic bread recipe in breadmaker! help!!!

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi EllieA,

There's an earlier thread that should help so I've added your post to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • Whitefiver
    Whitefiver Posts: 688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Topher wrote: »
    I think you'll need to let folk know the type of bread maker, any labels, code numbers etc. the recipe quantities vary from one to another.

As does the order of addition of ingredients. Some have liquid in first, others have dry goods in first. If in doubt, experiment - even failures generally make excellent toast. The liquid measurements do need to be accurate - if you don't have a way of measuring you can always weigh the water - 1g = 1ml.

However, for generic recipes, Carrs Breadmaker site has a good selection - good though expensive flour too. E.g. basic white here.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

White.
  • Sammyantha
    Options
    I now have a Morphy Richards breadmaker. Not sure what make but it's huge!!:D

I would like to start making bread my myself and other half which is comparable to the multi grain bread you can get from supermarkets.

Also, I'd LOVE to hand out around 10 fancy loaves as Christmas presents.

There are so many recipes/ ideas etc on here that I'm just confused :( Please can someone give me a "bread making for dummies" easy peasy recipe for loaves I can make for home? i.e ingredients, amounts, where to buy from etc.

Ideas for Xmas pressie loaves also appreciated :T
    The only thing we know for sure, is that we know nothing
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 November 2010 at 7:31PM
    Options
    Sammyantha wrote: »
    I now have a Morphy Richards breadmaker. Not sure what make :D

It'll be a Morphy Richards :)

We have an existing thread of basic recipes here (I'll merge this later).

To make more festive breads, you could add flavourings:
    • crushed walnuts and walnut oil
    • sun dried tomato and herbs
    • olive
    • cheese
    • roasted red onion
    • bacon and blue cheese
    • dried fruit and festive spice
    If you're giving them as gifts, you may want to bake them in the oven so as the look artisnal ;) They would then look fab wrapped in some hand decoarted brown paper :T
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Sammyantha
    Options
    Wow thanks Penelope!!:D Just bought wholemeal flour, strong white flour, yeast, sugar, oil, butter, sunflower, pumpkin, and sesame seeds from tesco. Fiver for the lot :D
  • CandyB101_2
    CandyB101_2 Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Awww, feeling rather disappointed :( I was hoping my new panny breadmaker would turn up today.
    I was looking forward to some soup and warm bread for my tea.
    A creative mess is better than tidy idleness :D
  • Sammyantha
    Options
    So the recipe I found on here for bread, is working well. But I'd love to know how to get it nice and fluffy.

Here's what I'm using:

4 cups flour (1 1/2 wholemeal, 3 1/2 strong white)
    1 1/4 yeast (the yellow one that you activate in water first)
    lemon juice squeeze
    drop of milk
    4 tbsp margarine in the corners of pan
    2 tbsp seeds (sesame and sunflower)
    tsp sugar
    tsp salt
    1 1/2 cups tepid water

Cooks for 3 hours in Morphy Richards machine.

Any suggestions/ improvements? :)
  • alamaya
    alamaya Posts: 419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

Can anyone help with a receipe for home made bread using a bread machine that is as cheap as you can get.

I used to make bread all the time but from the cost of yeast and flour worked out more expensive than shop brought. Is there any way to make it really dirt cheap.

xx
    Baby Girl Born May 2011
    Baby Boy Born Nov 2012

• valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cheaper than Value bread at 47p per loaf? (Tesco)The cheapest bread flour atm is (I think) Lidl or Tesco at 68p for 1.5 kilos which will make 3 standard loaves, though not as big as a supermarket value loaf. I usually cost basic white bread at 45-50p a loaf, including one tsp each of salt and sugar, 2tsp of dried yeast (tins are cheaper than these sachets), 1tbsp sunflower oil, water and flour. So it's comparable, not to mention far, far nicer!
    Val.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    alamaya wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can anyone help with a receipe for home made bread using a bread machine that is as cheap as you can get.

I used to make bread all the time but from the cost of yeast and flour worked out more expensive than shop brought. Is there any way to make it really dirt cheap.

xx

If you are comparing decent bought bread with homemade it's much cheaper to make than buy! Isn't bread about £1.50 a loaf? Look on your homemade food as equivalent to the Finest range (I think it was Thriftlady who said that on a thread somewhere) and don't compare it to the Value range. MrT's white bread flour is 71p which will make three loaves. Doves Farm yeast (orange packet) is £1.25 (near me anyway and we are expensive over here) and you get about 40 loaves out of that (I was sad enough to count the teaspoons once :rotfl:).

I don't have a breadmaker so I make 4 loaves at a time and freeze them, but it must still be cheaper using a breadmaker than buying bread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure