Could you live without cash?

Options
Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
edited 12 September 2017 at 12:35PM in Marriage, relationships & families
New%C2%A31_Full.png

Hi everyone!

The BBC thinks Sweden is coming close to being a cashless society.

Do you think that would work in the UK?

Could you live without cash?

Could your kids? Do they need to learn about all money including coins?

Do you think it's inevitable we'll eventually go cashless?

What do you use coins for now that you don't think you could do without if they didn't exist?

Why Sweden is close to becoming a cashless economy

Related on MoneySavingExpert:

Cashback Credit Cards

Pension Credit - are you missing out on free cash?

Best Bank Accounts - £125 bonus or 5% interest
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Could you live without cash? 164 votes

Yes
42% 69 votes
No
57% 95 votes

Comments

• ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For the most part, but there are transactions that are cash only - window cleaners for example
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cash only window cleaners, handiman gardeners, certain petrol stations, certain takeaways/drug money laundering shops (or so I've been told!!). Not particularly because I want to use cash but I don't want them to have the card info or even my name in some cases.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 September 2017 at 12:43PM
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about this.

All of my income is/always has been 100% "legit":D. So I've never put a foot wrong in that respect and don't approve of others doing so either basically (excepting those genuinely on the Dole - as I know darn well they literally aren't being paid enough to live on due to no fault of their own).

On the other hand - our privacy is being invaded in way too many ways over recent years and those people who "behave ourselves" are entitled to keep our private lives private - and that includes our spending.

On the reverse direction - and with being a poorly-paid single person (poor salary prior to retirement and poor pension after retirement) means there have been occasions where I've paid workmen less than I'd have otherwise had to by paying them in cash. I admit it's something I disapprove of doing on the one hand - but I know I've had to pay out a lot more on tax/housing costs/bills over the years courtesy of being single and it's one of the few ways available to me to try and recoup some of those extra "single person costs" (eg paying 75% of a house's Council Tax bill - rather than the 50% I'd be paying if married). I haven't chosen to be single - just couldnt find The One in order to get married...so....:cool:

If our banking system got hacked or Government imposing unreasonable restrictions on getting at our own money - then it helps to know one has some cash to hand hackers and Government alike can't touch.

Or put in one phrase = There's no easy answers.
  • northwalesd
    Options
    Yes - IF we were to follow the Swedish model, where there is no minimum transaction amount. As it is, many places only allow cards over a certain value of purchases.

One takeaway I use quite often doesn't take cards at all, so have to use cash there.

Friends have window cleaners that they pay electronically, so no reason all of them couldn't do that.

I believe we will, at some point, end up as a cashless society.
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    Yes I could. So long as there were no minimum spends or extra charges added on for using cards.
  • donnac2558
    Options
    No. Small local shops near me charge for using your card and topping up electric etc has be cash only. Also you need to spend over £10 if only going in for some cheap you cannot use.
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use cash less and less these days. But no I couldn't go totally cashless, particularly where children are concerned.

What about paying £1 for the bouncy castle at the town fair, and things of that nature?

Cashless spending for kids is a problem too, there are spending cards for children but it would be too hard for younger ones to keep track of although it's probably good practice for older children.

Most schools (where I am, at least) still require payment for trips, school lunches etc. by either cash or cheques but the banks are trying to do away with cheques.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Parking. They add surcharges for paying by text.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, I put money in birthday cards.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use cards as much as possible, but I also frequently use cash because I use local independent shops. It would cost the local bakery and greengrocers a fortune to take cards because most of their transactions are a few pounds. I wonder if Swedish businesses don't have to pay the card fees businesses do here, or whether they have some other alternative that means the profit on a small transaction doesn't get wiped out by fees?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure