What small DFW things will you do this week? W/C 15 May

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning guys - just spent the last 1/2 hour catching up with everyone over coffee. Sorry to hear that there have been such ups and downs over the last few days for so many of you. Thinking of you all and hoping for a break from whatever is going on for you x

We had a fantastic time at the festival, drank and danced into the early hours both Friday and Saturday. Took it easy Sunday and left at 5. Madam got home about 8 but I was already in bed! :)

I spent a lot of my time trying to work out if I want the job I applied for on Friday and I think on balance I don't! But I am now thinking I am ready & recovered enough from my breakdown to return to a more demanding job. So will now start the process of looking for work again. Groan! I guess I can take it fairly easy as unlike over the last 5 years when I have been looking for work there is no urgency so I don't have to do job searching so intensively....

What do I need to do today?

* unpack and do washing
    * polish & vacuum madam's room - only room we didn't do before going away
    * hope to get to the allotment after work for an hour or so
    * put out veggies to harden
    * I've put a load in the machine but looks like it's going to have to go on the drier as forecast says it's going to rain
    * need to make lunches - don't know why I'm not doing that instead of wasting time on here!
    * pick up some oat milk - need to check where's the best place to get it
    * get some veggie peelings out of the freezer and give to worms
    * take book to read in lunchtime
    * need to sit down and work out finances with oh before it becomes too long and too messy

Ok after a weekend of hedonism work seems like a big drag! Hope Monday is gentle on you all xxx
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning determined glad you had a lovely time away, sounds wonderful and a perfect opportunity to give you some headspace to think about future job. Hope the one for you comes along at the right time.

I was about an hour ago so have already done some chores and made a raspberry bakewell cake that's current,y baking in oven. I will also:

Check banking, update sheet
    Check surveys (made about £6 yesterday from one site :T)
    Check FPL (falling out of the habit)
    Possibly go collect an order and take something back if I manage to leave work early (I'm not feeling the love already :o)
    Leftover meatballs for lunch and a chunk of French stick we didn't finish yesterday
    Quick tidy round before work, may try and vacuum lounge as only room I didn't manage yesterday
    Yesterday's planned tea for tonight
    Yoga on YT later as DH working so I won't be able to go out for a run
    Fill in wraparound care forms
    Spend some time tonight looking at budget with an approximation of income from DH second job and how we might allocate it :A:D
    Check what else I want to achieve in may and write them down (if not already on my list ) as I did quite a few on list this weekend and I don't want to loose momentum

Enjoy your day folks, at least the rain is good for the garden ;)
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    wow I'm impressed that you've been so productive and done some baking Perps!

Yes it was good and by all accounts madam was good for the outlaws so we're thinking over night babysitting is available now :j

after catching up on last week's thread I reckon I've accrued some additional hours al from doing the ot I've been doing the last few months :j I'm going to email hr and ask ;)
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

DNMS - Thanks for starting us off today, sounds like a lovely weekend

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Cool and raining this morning, today's plans:

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank & make PAD - Done
    RM Surveys -
    Ironing -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -

Have a great day all!

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 May 2017 at 9:37PM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Thanks for the start DNMS, glad you had a lovely weekend away :)
    Well, I went to bed before 9 last night, and have only just got up, which is most unlike me. Slept for pretty much all that time, so must have needed it :)
    Today's plans are as follows:
    3 ebay parcels to drop off at the post office, 4 if the final buyer pays up in time Done, only 3 posted as the 4th buyer has only just paid now.
    Sort out sales unit, put new things in, take some of the unsold things out etc Done
    Small shop, need to make a list Done, went to Mr S, used a triple points coupon, also bagged some free wine boxes for ebay packaging. Got rid of junk mail in paper recycling bin and begged some newspapers from a lady who arrived to recycle them while I was there (useful for extra padding in packages, saves using so much bubble wrap!) :)
    HM meals from stores, I intend to make a big pan of bolognese today, and also some scones for treats Bolognese done, plenty left for another meal. Not done scones, will reschedule for tomorrow!
    Some housework Not done this either :o
    Anything that needs doing in the garden - unlikely to be watering as it rained heavily again overnight Or this, but realistically, there isn't anything urgent with all the rain!
    Do some work on ebay shop Listed a couple of new items, at least!
    New shredder may arrive from Amazon today - I bit the bullet and ordered one yesterday. It cost £23.99, but I had £15 in gift cards from surveys, so only £8.99 to pay :T OH has prime membership as he likes to watch some of their TV stuff on his tablet, so we get 1 day delivery with that. It arrived and I put it to work straight away to shred the paperwork I sorted out the other day. Put the shredded paper into the compost bin!

More coffee first I think!
    Still need to pay the milk bill online, and top up my post office drop and go account - and pack a parcel for the ebay buyer who has just paid :)
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good morning all,

A busy work day for me , buying and auctions. Todays plans include

-using up the leftover salad for tea tonight
    -do Aldi shopping. Follow the list I wrote yesterday and stick to the meal plans for the week
    -check bank account
    - check Paypal and Issue a refund done
    -put the dishwasher on
    -post the CCA requests to all our creditors
    -post 7 ebay parcels sold over the weekend (I have an ebay business)
    -speak to our son in Australia
    -source some cheap plants for our empty flowerbed
    -source some flags for the small patio we want to put our garden furniture on
    -plant the french beans that are ready to go out
    -drop bags of donations at the charity shop

that's about all for today. Hope its brighter where you are. Have a good Monday all x
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all! Thank you for starting DNMS - It sounds like you had a fab time away!

It's a grey and wet morning here today! I'm going to join our local library now we've moved and pop into town as I desperately need some new clothes, I'm wearing the same 3 jumpers and 3 pairs of leggings since LO was born!

I also might have to look after my SIL LO for an hour but he will scream the house down the whole time she is gone so I'm not looking forward to that!

Otherwise today I will be:

- Check bank accounts
    - Eat healthily from home
    - Hoover living room & kitchen
    - Find the cheapest place to get a duvet washed & dried

Have a lovely day all x
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 May 2017 at 11:06AM
    Options
    Hi May Marvelousos,

It's my day off. :heartpuls And it's raining hard, again.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Checked the Broadband allowance and wrote down the very complicated final payments schedule we have til the last payments of the old contracts in July.
    It annoys me that companies make it so hard to end contracts.

* Listed old Broadband router-thinga-me-gig on eBay.

* Checked online banking.

* Checked Nectar Points.

* Did RMS Surveys.

Onwards and upwards.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

Thanks for the kick off DNMS. :A Glad you had a good weekend. :) I like your thinking re your job situ - you'll get a perfect one soon I'm sure.

Mmm Purps, send some cake this way - our cupboards are bare!

I'm WFH today. Plan to get through another couple of loads of washing and put the dry stuff away.

Would also be good to do an online shop to come tonight - Prime Now groceries are what dreams are made of. Delivered in 2 hours for an optional £2 tip. :T

I'm meant to be going away with work tomorrow overnight but my boss has just emailed to say that I don't need to as I've also got a 2-day client workshop on Thurs and Fri. Mmm, will have a think. On one hand I want to go as will be a bit different etc but on the other hand it's easier to stay at home... :think:

I checked banking and some extra money I was waiting on has come in :T

Checked a house up for sale too - up for over £30k more than we paid 2 years ago so happy about that now remortgage time is nearly here. :D

Take care my lovelies.
    :beer:
  • uphillstruggler
    uphillstruggler Posts: 152 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2017 at 9:55AM
    Options
    Morning, everyone.

Hope you've had a good weekend. Thinking about those who need it.

Have three days off from work so looking forward to doing lots of admin-type things around the flat and some more work on our balcony garden :)

I need to make sure I relax at some stage, too - my work is very high-pressure and I'm trying to achieve a better work-life balance at the moment.

This week I have/will:

*[STRIKE]check accounts and move money around[/STRIKE] done
    *[STRIKE]sell some bits and bobs on FB/gumtree[/STRIKE] done - there are some cheeky people out there! Managed to put some bits and bobs on freegle too to save going to landfill
    *[STRIKE]sort cheaper energy[/STRIKE] done - should save around £300 each year. Have managed to convince other half to keep boiler off and not on the timer as we're lucky that our flat is very warm
    *[STRIKE]sort storage for garage[/STRIKE] found the unit we need but getting it delivered is proving tough
    *look at second income ideas
    *list goals for second half of 2017 :T

Hope you all have a great day,
    US
    Emergencies account: £500/500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts