Go a letter warning of redunancy today

Options
Will my boyfriend did and didn't do a very good job of hiding it from me although he tried lol.

He's been cut from a 5 day week to a 4 day and the letter warns of redunancies taking place soon.

He's 28 we're co habiting. In regards to Job Seekers Allowance - is it £60.50 fortnightly?

This has been stressing me out all day, it's next to nothing considering we're renting a house and all the rest, thank you

Comments

• ravravrav
    ravravrav Posts: 110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like a pain, are you working? Just do your best to cut your costs down and tighten the belt like we're all doing..
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £60.50 per WEEK. For those who are married/cohabiting this is (basically - assuming one is paid up okay on N.I. contributions) - payable for 6 months and then nothing:eek: . Single people continue to get the benefit and their Council Tax covered and the cost (or most of the cost) of accommodation paid. Reason - the assumption is still made that couples support each other financially - hence why the unemployed partner gets literally nothing after 6 months.
  • bunny999
    bunny999 Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options
    Do you both have to have paid NI to get the couple rate of contributory jsa ?
  • sunshinejoclaire
    Options
    there is no couple rate of contributions based JSA AFAIK
  • bhpride
    bhpride Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. So the fact we live together works against us. Great, that is not helpful..penalised for working and living together or at least that's how it feels. If I popped a baby out we'd be entitled to a lot more. Enough in fact for him to stay at home whilst I work.

JSA is no where near enough even when paid weekly, his outgoing for the rent and council tax is £270.

Christ, perhaps turning to crime for money would be an option lol and don't worry, I don't intend to have a baby lol. Anyway if he's made redundant before March (referred period for redundancy policy is March 18th) we're screwed. We'd probably have to move back to the parents.
  • sunshinejoclaire
    Options
    you might be entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit if you are renting depending on you overall income (yours included) :)
  • Sazzyukrafc
    Options
    My fiance is currently out of work and on jsa. We're both 23 and I am the only one earning, with a mortgage to pay and we are getting on fine. It's just about cutting costs and not spending money when you don't need to.
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nice to see a positive post in the circumstances Sazzy! Well done for battling on.
  • Sazzyukrafc
    Options
    :) of course, things always work out! We ask ourselves...do we really need a takeaway? Do I really need another pair of jeans? Etc! Also, getting rid of stuff we've never used or worn, I've made about £500 from this over the past couple of months.
  • bhpride
    bhpride Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    no sorry but I am very good with budgeting and very good with my money. I'm very very tight already without money problems. But I have debt from my younger days - that's what would make it difficult and even if the building society reduced my payments - put running a car, insurance, bills, tv licence and the million other things to pay for including £450pm rent £90 council tax out of a £1000 wage??? Could I really manage that? No I couldn't and trust me, like I said I'm tight now let alone if partner lost his job lol (we don't even have sky or freeview lol)!

Stressed out just thinking about it lol sorry. Gonna go for a fag lol thank you for the replies though :rolleyes: Fingers crossed the worst doesn't happen or it's back to daddy's house lol :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure