Replace 2002 micra with?...

Options

Comments

• Whoknowskt89
    Whoknowskt89 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Newshound!
    Options
    Unfortunately cv boots are beyond my ability (I do a lot myself but that's too much) and every time I've had it done it was one garage... Can only hope it was the garage and parts they were using.
    I've found out since that the garage can be dodgy so I'm not going back to them. Hopefully everything will be great and the car passes but I doubt it will.
    The garage im booked in with now have a decent reputation and they were great when dealing with my motorbike.
  • dodo69
    dodo69 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a new VW Up for a few days when my Polo was in for warranty work at the VW Dealer. It's a great wee car and I see the dealer has them for sale brand new for £6995. It was very nippy and seemed to do around 55 mpg.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Replace 2002 micra with?

Something that:

a) Has working headlights

b) Does more than 25mph

:cool:
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2017 at 9:05PM
    Options
    Unfortunately cv boots are beyond my ability (I do a lot myself but that's too much) and every time I've had it done it was one garage... Can only hope it was the garage and parts they were using.

You can get extra stretchy CV boots off eBay, that you can save 20 minutes on fitting (and topping up the gearbox oil) by stretching them completely over the joint with this big cone thing from the outside, rather than pulling the shaft out and knocking the joint off to do it properly with a genuine spec. part that lasts 10 years or more.

They hardly last 5 minutes though.

+1 on fixing yours, unless it is rusting badly in the bodyshell (the front subframes rusts but is replaceable) it will go on for many years.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Whoknowskt89
    Options
    OK it may not be the fastest car in the world but it does hit 70 and is a small runaround. When I want more fun on the road I jump on my triumph speed four (motorbike) but I live in town, park on the road in allocated bays and when someone damages it or it breaks most things can be done without plugging it into a pc.

I'm really hoping it gets through this year and maybe a few more but want to keep my options open so if it fails I'm not going 'argh I'll just buy that car ' without fully looking into a car, common faults, repair costs etc....
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Don't dis them micras, apart from the crossmember going they are pretty much bulletproof even when beaten. Our L 93 plate is still going and having the dreaded crossmember is around 300 quid. We got a welder to do it for 105.
  • moneybags1957
    Options
    My wife's 1994 Micra was the most reliable car I have known, my wife had it 18yrs and my daughter 4yrs.My wife replaced it with a bigger Skoda Fabia nowhere near as good, loads of little problems despite only covering 40k miles. My daughter sold it for 100 pounds after her grandmother gave up driving and gave her a Hyundai i10.The Micra still showing taxed insured and MOT'd.The Hyundai is a VERY CLOSE MATCH to the Micra and has been reliable.Don't buy the newer shape Micras as nowhere near reliable after Renault took over Nissan.
  • Whoknowskt89
    Options
    Thanks all...
    Mine is the k11, before Renault touched them and the mot is tomorrow afternoon so hopefully I'll be posting that it either passed somehow or needs easy repairs!
  • Whoknowskt89
    Options
    The car lives! Managed to get it motd, failed, fixed at another garage and retested in one afternoon!!!
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Great news.

Any advisories?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business