PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Noise from chicken

Options
Hi, I moved into a property about 3 months ago and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when one I began hearing a cockerel crowing in the early hours of the morning, this starts at around 4:30/5 am and continues until around 7 am so sleeping with the window open is pretty much impossible.

Speaking to my neighbour they said it used to happen regularly but then the cockerel seemed to disappear before returning again a few weeks ago.

The area I live in is a residential area with allotments to the rear of property, so I am unable to confirm weather is is a property or the allotments which the noise is coming from.

Just wondering if this had anything to do with why the previous owners moved out and should this have been disclosed?

I have raised this with the council but not sure what they can do considering I am unable to identify the specific property, just hoping others on the street have also raised it. I'm by no means a light sleeper, but this has happened on a daily basis and in this weather sleeping with the window shut isn't really an option.

Comments

• marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    How eggsarsparating.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is no National Law about keeping chickens or cockerels in a residential area, unless it is a commercial enterprise.

There is also the laws relating to "Nuisance" - whether from noise or otherwise, and the laws relating to cruelty to animals.

some good points here about complaining-

http://www.poole.gov.uk/environment/pollution/noise-nuisance-faqs/
  • Mossfarr
    Mossfarr Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Next time it wakes you at 5 o'cluck (sorry, couldn't resist) get up and follow the sound.
    You should easily find where its coming from.
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2016 at 10:33AM
    Options
    Just guessing, but if this is a repeating occurrence someone might be regularly replacing their chickens with young ones - or homing the local schools ones ( eg http://www.livingeggs.co.uk/hatch-a-chick/), and only finding out the usual way which are hens and which are cockerels . In which case they may well be figuring out how to dispose of the latter (and they can be a real pain to catch - in the case of the chickens my parents kept when I was a kid, one turned out to be a cockerel, un-catchable and was vicious with it. Ended up with getting a friend to come over and blow its head off with a shotgun. Got a real insight into the minds of my sisters that day too - one ran inside, the other tried to grab the running headless body.)

It might have something to do with the neighbour moving out. It probably didn't. But if they never complained then it wouldn't be a dispute and nothing to declare. They might not have even cared / liked the sound - it certainly never bothered me at the last house (town location, but the pub behind kept a menagerie in the garden - chickens, ducks, guinea pigs, rabbits, goat. The cockerel didn't know all the words ... cuck-a-d-urrgggggg ... the goat used to get noisy after the pub closed Sunday afternoons ... I think it missed having the children feeding it. Quite missed it all when the pub changed hands, the animals went and the grass became a gravel car park.).

You, by complaining, of course will have to declare a dispute when it comes to selling ...
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    Easiest solution is to buy a fox.
  • Miss_Samantha
    Miss_Samantha Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2016 at 11:13AM
    Options
    There is no National Law about keeping chickens or cockerels in a residential area, unless it is a commercial enterprise.

There is actually a law that entitles anyone to keep chicken on their land.

But it should not cause a nuisance or health and safety problem. The issue is that, as I understand, nuisance cases in general are rarely simple from a legal perspective.
    A cockerel, especially not right under your window, may not be considered a nuisance.
    JP08 wrote: »
    You, by complaining, of course will have to declare a dispute when it comes to selling ...

I think that the threshold is a bit higher than that.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    owainlfc wrote: »
    Hi, I moved into a property about 3 months ago and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when one I began hearing a cockerel crowing in the early hours of the morning, this starts at around 4:30/5 am and continues until around 7 am so sleeping with the window open is pretty much impossible.

Speaking to my neighbour they said it used to happen regularly but then the cockerel seemed to disappear before returning again a few weeks ago.

The area I live in is a residential area with allotments to the rear of property, so I am unable to confirm weather is is a property or the allotments which the noise is coming from.

Just wondering if this had anything to do with why the previous owners moved out and should this have been disclosed?

I have raised this with the council but not sure what they can do considering I am unable to identify the specific property, just hoping others on the street have also raised it. I'm by no means a light sleeper, but this has happened on a daily basis and in this weather sleeping with the window shut isn't really an option.

Not if they didn't mind it...
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Learn to love it. I think the sound of cockerels is great - much better than some artificial noise like trains, roads, music!

And you get used to it after a while - it may still wake you but you'll just go back to sleep.

You live near an allotment so it's just a fact of life.

I can never understand people who move in near a church and then compain about the church bells.......
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love the sound of the cockerel crowing, though it rarely wakes me. I do think they're the nicest alarm clocks. The 6 donkeys braying at 5am in the field next door is much louder :).

It must be awful if it does disturb your sleep OP. I guess you're in quite a rural area and cockerels just come with the territory. If it's an allotment, I'm sure there's some law that allows poultry keeping. Have you tried ear plugs? Perhaps you could use a fan during the night instead of keeping the window open. The white noise from it might also help to drown out the crowing.

The cockerel won't be up so early as the days get shorter so at least you'll get more sleep then. There's a good chance anyway that it won't wake you once you're used to it.
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    There is actually a law that entitles anyone to keep chicken on their land.

The Law allows the keeping of Hens not Chickens ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure