ISA transfer interest question

Options
Hello MSE users

I have a Nationwide ISA that pays interest once per year, currently due in September this year. I have found another Nationwide ISA with a better interest rate, so would like to transfer to get the better rate.

The new account pays interest a year after opening the account, so this would be March 2019. So I’m trying to figure out what happens to the interest accrued in the old account - e.g. if it is paid during the transfer process, or paid in September into the old and empty account. Any ideas?

I’ve read the account details, searched this forum and searched in Google. Perhaps I’ve just not looked in the right places, and I suspect the answer is straightforward - any thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When you close the old account interest to date will be added that day and the total transferred to the new account.[/FONT]
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tom99 wrote: »
    When you close the old account interest to date will be added that day and the total transferred to the new account.
    That is what I would have expected to happen, but I've just made the transfer from Nationwide's Flexclusive ISA to their new loyalty ISA and no interest has been added on transfer.

I'm awaiting a statement before further enquiries.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    Vortigern wrote: »
    That is what I would have expected to happen, but I've just made the transfer from Nationwide's Flexclusive ISA to their new loyalty ISA and no interest has been added on transfer.

I'm awaiting a statement before further enquiries.
    Unless you specifically requested an account closure the account will remain open with a zero balance and interest accrued to date will be paid on the usual interest date.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    Unless you specifically requested an account closure the account will remain open with a zero balance and interest accrued to date will be paid on the usual interest date.
    You may be right but the old account is no longer visible online. The new account has a different account number.

There was very little in the old account, the interest will be minimal.
  • drumingrules
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I’ve completed the transfer, and selected to close the old account. The interest was calculated and added to the new account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure