Sainsburys advertise store as having parking but it's not free

Options
124»

Comments

• warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you think that someone is a "keyboard warrior" simply because they disagree with another poster then maybe public forums aren't for you.
    photome wrote: »
    I assume that because you disagree with me it makes you a keyboard warrior?

It's not the disagreeing, it's the rude way in which their side is put, which is usually followed by others who suddenly feel the need to join in. They wouldn't act like that in real life which makes them a keyboard warrior.
    Pants
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    It's not the disagreeing, it's the rude way in which their side is put, which is usually followed by others who suddenly feel the need to join in. They wouldn't act like that in real life which makes them a keyboard warrior.

who was rude?

its difficult to know when only being able to see rather than hear
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I might get berated for this and I hope Sainsburys have a sense of humour:

[IMG][/img]23txdh.jpg
  • societys_child
    Options
    Laz123
    If life is like a box of chocolates why do I always get the coffee creams?
    What's wrong with coffee creams? :)
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Laz123 wrote: »
    I might get berated for this and I hope Sainsburys have a sense of humour

This is so unfair on Sainsbury's.

The OP was writing about a Sainsbury's store that doesn't have its own car park, but parking is available at an adjacent private car park that you have to pay for.

Every Sainsbury's I have ever been to that has its own car park offers free parking to customers.

My local John Lewis on the other hand charges you to park in their own car park even when you are shopping there.
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    redpete wrote: »
    Not, but if the hotel advertised themselves as having parking I would be annoyed if it was an NCP car park over the road that cost £11 to use overnight.

Yeah, but you don't sleep overnight in a Sainsburys do you!
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »

Which is also what you did hence why Shaun from Africa's post got so many thanks!
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    This is so unfair on Sainsbury's.

The OP was writing about a Sainsbury's store that doesn't have its own car park, but parking is available at an adjacent private car park that you have to pay for.

Every Sainsbury's I have ever been to that has its own car park offers free parking to customers.

My local John Lewis on the other hand charges you to park in their own car park even when you are shopping there.

I suppose the situation could be dependent on the shopping area. Where I used to live in the UK there was an Asda with free parking, a Sainsburys which would refund over a £5 spend and Tescos also with free parking, plus a John Lewis with no free parking. The free parking stores were always packed whereas the latter not so. I would never shop at a supermarket where I had to pay parking. As a matter of principle I would rather spend more petrol money driving to a free parking store.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I turned up at the Sainsbury's and had to pay for parking and I was only visiting just Sainsbury's I would just go to the next supermarket that had free parking. It's also going to be cheaper in fuel to do this than pay for parking because there are usually a few supermarkets within a couple of miles of each other.

But the fact that the OP checked the website for parking before they went there must mean they were in a city and should expect to have to often pay for parking.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I'm with the OP. It wouldn't be quite as bad if Sainsbury's owned the car park and charged shoppers for using it. But supermarkets don't tend to charge their own customers for parking, hence the assumption that a supermarket with a car park would provide free parking.

I don't think it's right for them to advertise that a store has parking if they actually don't, but there just happens to be a car park nearby which is actually nothing to do with them. They should at least call it "Chargeable parking nearby".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure