Options
onesixfive
onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 25 July 2017 at 2:01PM in Praise, vent & warnings
:cool::cool::cool:
WARNING:
Don't Shop online when in EU !

Whilst soaking up the sun abroad recently I took the time to place an online order with my account at yours.co.uk & paid by paypal (as my card was in the hotel safe).

When I arrived home, I noticed the amount deducted from my bank was almost £10 more than the tags on the garments added up to! The statement showed I'd been charged in euros!

By then, I'd already done a straight swap on return to UK on one item for a different size, with no receipt/cash being mentioned.

Tag prices were £23.99 & £14.99 respectively (UK p&p would be £3.99 ie £42.97).
My Invoice was emailed as £28.07 & £17.54 + Delivery £5.26 which (incorrectly) totals £50.88
Finally, my bank deducted £53.00 in respect of the paypal payment for 58.00€

Up to now yours have said: This would be your bank that has charged extra for paying in a different currency as the exchange rates would be different.

I then suggested maybe I should have returned the "EU" goods for a full refund to local store, then simply bought them straight back at UK prices.
I was told : On returning the items to the store, you would have received the refund in the GBP price and not the EU price paid. As the exchange rates fluctuate we have a set rate which is what would have been applied to your order under the different currency.

My latest argument is
Why was I charged £28.07 & £17.54 for goods, tagged & priced IN STERLING ONLY at £23.99 & £14.99 respectively (excl P & P), on a .co.uk website?
Plus
I also placed my Tesco shop online whilst abroad too.
I wasn't charged in euros for that!

Any more suggestions/advice please? :money:

Thanks

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I shop online all the time when I am on holiday and its never happened to me.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Indeed some sites will auto select local currency but you can change it.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sng165 wrote: »
    :cool::cool::cool:
    WARNING:
    Don't Shop online when in EU !

Whilst soaking up the sun abroad recently I took the time to place an online order with my account at yours.co.uk & paid by paypal (as my card was in the hotel safe).

When I arrived home, I noticed the amount deducted from my bank was almost £10 more than the tags on the garments added up to! The statement showed I'd been charged in euros!

By then, I'd already done a straight swap on return to UK on one item for a different size, with no receipt/cash being mentioned.

My Invoice was emailed as £28.07 & £17.54 + Delivery £5.26 which (incorrectly) totals £50.88

Up to now yours have said: This would be your bank that has charged extra for paying in a different currency as the exchange rates would be different.

I then suggested maybe I should have returned the "EU" goods for a full refund to local store, then simply bought them straight back at UK prices.
    I was told : On returning the items to the store, you would have received the refund in the GBP price and not the EU price paid. As the exchange rates fluctuate we have a set rate which is what would have been applied to your order under the different currency.

My latest argument is
    Why was I charged £28.07 & £17.54 for goods, tagged & priced IN STERLING ONLY at £23.99 & £14.99 respectively (excl P & P), on a .co.uk website?
    Plus
    I also placed my Tesco shop online whilst abroad too.
    I wasn't charged in euros for that!

Any more suggestions/advice please? :money:

Thanks

Not tried online shopping before when abroad, Im sure I could manage it, seems easy enough to do.

My warning is to shop online when in the EU.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sng165 wrote: »

Perhaps the question you should be asking (yourself) is why you chose to pay for the items in Euros.

Perhaps the sun isn't the only thing you were soaking up.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    Perhaps the question you should be asking (yourself) is why you chose to pay for the items in Euros.

Hahaha.............
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Thanks for the warning. I've only just received my new bank cards after last weeks scare, have rung my bank again and cancelled them all, closed my PayPal account. I dealing in cash now!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 July 2017 at 10:09PM
    Options
    Thanks for the warning. I've only just received my new bank cards after last weeks scare, have rung my bank again and cancelled them all, closed my PayPal account. I dealing in cash now!

Severely limiting yourself to just buying stuff from the high street, means Mrs BoP will have to go to town for her goods lol.
  • onesixfive
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »

My point is - I had no idea it would be charged in euros - why would I be? the goods I received were not tagged in euros, they only had sterling prices and they were substantially lower than I'd been billed - I was on a .co.uk website, I naturally assumed it would be in sterling as always (like the Tesco order I placed was).

(I'll ignore your 2nd comment - if you cant say something useful/nice...)
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    When I visit yours.co.uk there's nothing to buy whatsoever at all. It just appears to be a magazine?
  • onesixfive
    Options
    The-Truth wrote: »
    When I visit yours.co.uk there's nothing to buy whatsoever at all. It just appears to be a magazine?

yoursclothing.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport