Diary of a single working Mumma.

Options

Comments

• StarMummy_2
    Options
    Had a rough morning with the little person. I can't remember the last day that went past without her telling me that she doesn't love me and she isn't my friend. I'm tired and this morning and it hurt more than normal. She does it when she is tired, to get a reaction, but mostly she does it after she has spent the day with her dad. It just makes me feel like I'm failing. I now she doesn' mean it we are so close and she is normally such a lovely girl. Theres just something not quite right at the moment, I've caught her crying and when I ask her why she is upset she simply doesnt know :(
    This parenting thing really is the hardest job.
    On the money side I'm trying to stay upbeat, it's 2 weeks until payday and I'm sure I can make it through. I can't wait to get that nasty number below 5000. I'm expecting a tax rebate at some point due to working 2 jobs most of last year but I have no idea how long it will take, I'm going to treat it as 'free' money and stick it straight in uni savings as it won't be long before I need to pay the next lump of tuition fees and the sooner I get these exams cracked the more money I'll be earning.

Must stay positive but my mood is much like the weather, the sun may be shining but it's bitterly cold :(
    LBM- 01/04/2014
    DEBTS @ LBM [STRIKE]£5558.08[/STRIKE] £4770.00
    House savings £240/£3000 8%
    Uni Savings £11.46/£1146 1%
  • StarMummy_2
    Options
    I really want to say something. But I' a little bit scared to say it out loud. As a single mum Job stability has always been more important than salary, But I'm about half way through my professional studies now and this job is going nowhere, no chance of promotion and I'm underpaid for the industry I'm in now. I think I need to bite the bullet and look for a new job. My studies are inline with the job I do but my boss does not contribute financially and I have to take holiday for any exams. I know if I got another job I'd get far more support with studies and potentially be on about £5k more than I'm on...It should double my current wages when I complete my final exam next December. I feel like I need to rip this sticking plaster off and take a risk.
    LBM- 01/04/2014
  • Skinnylatte
    Skinnylatte Posts: 1,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You've nothing to lose by looking for another job and see what's on offer.
    You're right parenting rally is the hardest thing isn't it, my eldest is 17 and still tells me at least weekly that she hates me, maybe she'll grow out of it one day!
    Pay off Car Loan £17,047 £10580 by Christmas 2022

Mortgage 1 @ 23/03/2019 [STRIKE]£101297[/STRIKE]
    £84457 16.6% DI [STRIKE]£6.95[/STRIKE] £6.15
    Mortgage 2 @ 12/04/2015 [STRIKE]£136121[/STRIKE]
    £100,546 26.1
    % DI [STRIKE]£9.13[/STRIKE] £6.07
    1st LBM 02/06/2013 £[STRIKE]21595[/STRIKE] Debt Free Day 27/03/2015

• StarMummy_2
    Options
    may have just completed my first job application :D wish me luck
    LBM- 01/04/2014
  • StarMummy_2
    Options
    I'm feeling far more positive today. Who wouldn't be happy at the prospect of a four day weekend?
    Me and the little person are friends again she seemed a lot happier yesterday and this morning so that is great :)
    Looking at the bank and nothing has changed, I only have £34 to get me through until Tuesday and only 70 miles in the tank which will do the journey home from work before the light comes on. I'd usually spend £200 over easter going out and doing 'stuff' and rack up some hefty mileage. I don't have the funds and I refuse to dip into my little bit of savings or take my credit card back over £4k so it will have to be home made fun. I picked up a £1 easter egg for the little person and my Nana bought her some bunny masks and an egg, my mum Frozen on DVD and my sister (Seren's favourite aunty and Godmummy and all round lovely friend) spoilt her crazy, as usual, with two Frozen barbies and a new colouring set. For the first time I don't feel the need to match these gifts, I just feel very grateful to have such wonderful women in my life and hers.
    So £34! it actually isn't a problem. It's a challenge and that can only be a positive thing :)
    I hope the weather stays nice as it would be great to get the bicycles out or trudge in the woods. I'll have to get the Boyfriend to come visit us this weekend to save fuel, we usually spend weekends at his parents lovely house as it has far more space...and the disney channel.ha ha
    I'm in two minds about canceling my Glossybox subscription atm. it's only £13 and it's lovely having a suprise box of loveliness each month but while I'm trying to save and slay the evil credit card it seems like a selfish luxury, albeit the only one. I don't drink or smoke, I stopped having my hair dyed...and actually it's a lovely colour naturally and so much healthier. It is my only vice but I can start it up at any time, or perhaps ask for a subscription for my birthday in July. That way i'd only miss 2 months.
    I've been really good with packing lunches this month and not spent a single penny on the sandwich van. I pack lunch for the little person's nursery anyway so it isn't any extra work. I've probably saved a good £20.

we had the offer for primary school come through yesterday. we didn't get our first choice but I knew we wouldn't. it's over subscribed and we are out of catchment. I feel a little gutted that she has to move away from her friends, okay a lot gutted. Just makes me more determined to get debt free and move into catchment, even if it means moving her after Christmas.
    Everything else is going well though I've finished all the tuition for one of my exams in June, so I just need to do the last 10 chapters of the other one and revise like Hermione Granger ;)

Hope everyone enjoys their easter weekend and keeps the purse strings tight.

Take care:easter:
    LBM- 01/04/2014
  • StarMummy_2
    StarMummy_2 Posts: 96 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2014 at 11:20AM
    Options
    Mot much to report over the bank holiday weekend. I got treated to a lovely lunch in a gorgeous county pub... I got ID'd for my G&T, don't think the 33 year old boyfriend was impressed. ha ha.
    Spent plenty of hours spring cleaning and listed my first ever items on eBay. Went to the park with the little one yesterday which was lovely...and free :) It was a balmy 21 degrees here yesterday afternoon. lovely.
    Only spends this weekend where a little bit of food shopping. I even spent a couple of hours making soup and penny pizza's for lunch boxes. Felt very domesticated ;)
    Feeling positive about my spendy ways and I'm really looking forward to pay day. I'm going to pay off the car repairs (had it done through work, no pressure to pay but I don't want to take the micky) and get the overdraft reduced to £750-might actually push to £700 but it depends on what this months nursery bill looks like...hopefully small-ish due to all the bank holidays, then i'll knock another £100 of he credit card and put some funds in the savings pots.
    hope everyone enjoyed the weekend :D
    LBM- 01/04/2014
  • debtfreeby30:S
    Options
    Hi StarMummy :hello:

Sounds like you've had a lovely weekend and you seem to be doing really well with your DFW journey! There will no doubt be a few of ups and downs along the way, don't feel bad, just try and remember how it'll feel to come out the other side! You're so close to dipping under that £5k mark - it's the little victories that count! :T

I hope the little one is feeling much better, we've all been there where we've said mean things to our parents - I cringe at some of the things that came out of my mouth when I was younger! I don't know how all you mums and dads out there do it to be honest!

Good luck with the job application :)
    Nest Egg Savings Target: £7300/£10,000
    Wedding Savings: £2660/£8,000
    0% Credit Card Debt Jan 2017: £2064
  • StarMummy_2
    Options
    Hi StarMummy :hello:

Sounds like you've had a lovely weekend and you seem to be doing really well with your DFW journey! There will no doubt be a few of ups and downs along the way, don't feel bad, just try and remember how it'll feel to come out the other side! You're so close to dipping under that £5k mark - it's the little victories that count! :T

I hope the little one is feeling much better, we've all been there where we've said mean things to our parents - I cringe at some of the things that came out of my mouth when I was younger! I don't know how all you mums and dads out there do it to be honest!

Good luck with the job application :)

I was just replying to your diary and you found me first :) hi:wave:
    I'm so tempted to fidle with figures to get the total below £5k but I won't. I'm terrible at taking out of savings on the promise i'll pay it back and then just not doing so. It's only 1 week until payday i'll have to wait it out. I've done the sums and taking into account the value of my car and the teeny bit of savings as soon as I dip below £5k not only will I smash my £5k target but i'll also be solvent too. That is an even greater milestone. The boyfriend is so good with money and has never been in debt, even has shares and savings. He definetly has a possitive effect on my spending habits...well apart from the last minute trip to Thailand last month, but that was paid for from an unexpected refund on an old loan, so as much as it SHOULD have gone to pay off the Credit card at least the holiday was paid with money I had and not borrowed from elsewhere.
    LBM- 01/04/2014
  • StarMummy_2
    Options
    Another day another update. The figures are still the same and probably will be until payday next Tuesday. I just thought i'd pop in to keep myself motivated.

So short term goals are to pay off all debt, To save £6k towards moving (will cost £2k for deposit and fees etc but I want to more than double incase we have to move again) and to save up the final £3500 for the rest of my Uni/course fees and exams...although if I get another job these may be paid by my employer.

Long term goals? well the happy ever after, Mortgage, marraige and maybe another little person. But all in good time. I'm not quite 26 so have 10 more good baby making years to worry about that.

I also want to travel one new place every year. I've been very lucky in the last 9 months and managed 3. Barcelona for my 25th birthday, new years in Guernsey (where the boyfriend comes from) and Thailand in March. But other than perhaps another trip to Guernsey this summer (will stay with friends again so just food and ferry/flights) there will be no more holidays untill all my money is my money and not the banks.

I've been humming and harring as to whether to spill this piece of info as I thought it would make me look silly given that i'm a 'debt free wannabe' but the uni course i keep banging on about, well, it's the ACCA (chartered accountancy qualification) which I'm doing alongside a degree in applied accounting. I guess being in debt looks bad on me given my chosen career path, but the debts arent due to being ignorant but to the life I was pushed into being left to raise baby on my own. I wasn't bad with money I just had to survive. My debts have never been a problem, I've never missed a payment or not been able to afford them, I've just decided that actually, now I have an option and I'd rather not have them.
    Anyway. I finish my degree next December and along with numerous letters after my name I should have a good job and a nice fat salary to boot. In reality the nice house and the holidays will be affordable if I stay focused. I'd be a fool to let them slip away. 20 months isn't very long at all is it :)
    LBM- 01/04/2014
  • StarMummy_2
    Options
    So all pending payments have cleared my account. I've paid the last few pounds in my account across to my Credit Card. I get paid on Tuesday and have £15 in my purse for fuel/ emergancies. I'm not going anywhere at all this weekend, so I'm hoping The fuel in my car will do for tomorrow and Mondays journey to work and I can keep the £15 as a start of an emergancy cash fund.
    All three of my items on ebay have watchers, although only one has a bid, never done it before but feeling hopeful.
    I had a meeting with a recruitment consultant this morning and it all looks very possitive. She wants to put me forward for roles I wouldn't have thought to apply for until I was further along with my course, but my experience is possitive, she also said I should be earning far more money and be getting support with my course. so fingers crossed in the next couple of month I should be making a nice leap forward in my career and have a lot more pennies in the bank. ATM my course alone costs me about £3k a year so even without a payrise i'll be £250 a month better off.
    Really can't stop smiling
    LBM- 01/04/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts