What would you tell politicians about heating oil?

Options
We're off to a roundtable discussion about heating oil - great news as we've felt for a long time this is an area with little attention.

What would you tell politicians if you had the chance - about prices, regulation or the difficulties you face when buying oil?

Comments

• Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I'd tell them to keep their snouts out as their interference in gas & electricity markets is arguably costing the consumer at the moment - example, Labour's threat to "freeze prices" has backfired as wholesale costs are on the decline and utility prices holding steady in case Labour win the GE and actually keep a promise.

Also, the Governments regulator (OFGEM) meddled with the 2 tier tariffs to "simplify them", forcing many low users to pay more - what we have now is an equally, if not more, confusing system of prices where every supplier charges different standing charges making real comparrisons very difficult.

Domestic heating oil prices ARE in decline, unlike Gas & Electricity and I believe are currently at their lowest for 4 years or more.
  • Smiley_Dan
    Options
    I'd tell them the market appears to work well.

What we should be doing, and where Government should help, is using less of it. This can only be done by a proper national investment project in commercial and residential energy efficiency. I'm not talking about the !!!!ing in the wind like the GD.
  • Smiley_Dan
    Options
    Oh and the other thing is that this thread might be best posted in the heating oil forum...
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    Incentivise district heating systems for rural communities, villages/rural communities could own them in co ops and would deliver cheaper and greener energy
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I agree that Community Buying Schemes should be incentivised, or at least be made more high profile. This works for both the consumer and the environment as it cuts down on deliveries to an area and on costs for the consumer.

I think there should be spot checks on the calibration devices on lorries measuring the amounts delivered. Unless very sensitive measuring equipment is used by the consumer a delivery could easily be say 50 litres less and the customer wouldn't be any the wiser.

There seems to be little in the way of a mechanism for complaints - unlike the Ombudsman for gas and electricity. Certainly a 'good practice' standard for companies selling domestic heating oil with regard to pricing, complaints etc would provide a starting point so customers have a baseline to work from if things go wrong.

No idea if there is price fixing and cartels going on, but wouldn't be surprised if it is - has this ever been investigated?
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • TiredGeek
    Options
    I'd tell them to stand in 2000 litres while I light it!
    A pair of 14kw Ecodans & 39 radiators in a big old farm house in the frozen north :cool:
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My view is that the fuel oil market includes plenty of suppliers and therefore some healthy competition unlike the markets for gas and electricity. In addition one buys a tranche at a time with no cumbersome long term contract with it's associated reams of fine print. Capitalism only works well for the customer if there's competition.
  • squeakerton
    Options
    I want to know why the price in Scotland is on average 5p per litre more than England or Wales or, even more surprisingly N Ireland. Particularly when oil comes directly on shore in Scotland and there is a refinery. Am assuming heating oil has to be shipped to N Ireland, suggesting it should be more, not less expensive. Perhaps the higher % of households (if not higher numbers) using heating oil in N Ireland produces higher competition ?
  • ilikecookies
    Options
    I'd tell them to not interfere as they'd only make it worse!

"Improving" the electricity market has cost me money with the introduction of a standing charge and sticky/increased unit costs with companies fearful of a Labour freeze on prices if they win the election.

True the current system for oil isn't perfect but it's a lot better than with LPG so it's a case of better the Devil you know in my opinion!

Thinking more positively maybe a govt could help off-grid communities get connected to the grid at a more economical cost than the current system allows but no doubt those connection costs would only be passed back through higher bills ...
  • terrierlady
    Options
    I would ask why so many schemes to replace gas boilers at sub rates but why are oil boilers not included .Also a scheme to replace old oil tanks.
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport