Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans.

Options

Comments

• mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We are now at a whole week of sleepless nights. DH is away but he did give me a rest 2 nights ago. Typically last night was the worst yet and I'm on my own. Tiredness is hampering progress.

However I am now wondering what's happened to our mortgage term. We bought a house in 2005 on a 25 year mortgage. That should be ending in Feb 2030 which is 13.5 years away. Yet our term remaining is 14 years (we've been overpaying). So I somehow seem to have gained a year. We've moved once and remortgaged a couple of times so somehow must have messed up. I'm so angry as it now seems my overpayments are nothing of the sort. :mad: I need to see where this went wrong. Feeling very down heartened.
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Ever think that the bank may have made a mistake?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • mfmaybe
    Options
    Ever think that the bank may have made a mistake?

It crossed my mind. But they are also my employer so better watch what I say. ;). I will try to dig out the paper trail though and see what I can find.

• mfmaybe
    Options
    OK so more mortgage chat. Sorry. I probably should get a MF diary too :o. However the findings may prove useful for some.

First issue seems to be when we moved house 8.5 years ago. When you apply for the mortgage it's a few months until you actually complete. So I think what happened is that I gave them a mortgage term that was accurate when I applied, not when we actually moved. Therefore, the actual end date is about 5 months later than we thought. I can't be sure this is exactly what happened; but the Term was clear in our offer letter so I had a chance to query it. Can't blame the bank for this one.

Now onto the Term remaining. This hasn't gone down at all which is what threw me. Or rather, it has gone down by the appropriate amount of calendar months, not any more than that. When I called the bank, they said if you wanted to reduce the term you had to apply to do so. I was a bit confused as I presumed reducing the outstanding balance must by the very nature reduce the Term. Apparently not. Still confused? Me too. What this means in reality is that I still have a 14 year window in which to pay, so when my fixed rate ends, the new payment will be calculated based on the 14 year Term. I guess I can see why this might be so. But I asked to be told what my current end date would be, based on overpayments to date, and they said they couldn't tell me. I explained that I was about to remortgage, and I wanted the new mortgage to be based on my current "term", not the official 14 years I have left. That didn't seem possible, but she is apparently having a letter sent out to tell me that. I've also asked to be told what overpayments I've made in total. That way I guess I can work out how many months capital I've overpaid so far. I know it's at least 6 but must be more as we were on a cheap tracker back in 08/09 when base rates hit the floor.

Anyway, it was news to me that the remortgage worked this way. Essentially our new payment would be lower than we'd want. This wouldn't really matter if we were staying put, as we'd continue with the exact same £ payment each month as we are now, in which case our overpayment would be greater. However as we are looking to move and increase borrowing it confuses things a little.

Still, forewarned is forearmed.

In proper DF news, I had beans on toast for lunch. Complete with free prize winning cheese, they were delicious :rotfl:

• mfmaybe
    Options
    Gosh it's been a while since I posted. Well almost exactly as if I had written it myself, I got a completely useless letter from the bank with absolutely none of the information I had asked for. DH and I decided to leave it for now and just keep overpaying by as much as we could afford.

So on that note, I have just applied for a new fix. I held off a few days after our term ended due to waiting for the base rate announcement, but in the end decided just to go with the rate as it stands now. I didn't have to overpay in the end, as another month's payment had come out, so we are now at 60% LTV. Yippee. Should hear in 5 days. This will be £220/mth less than the SVR or £120 a month less than the old fix. So for now we will increase our overpayment by another £100 a month.

In debt news I'm sure another payment has come off my 0% card. Finances otherwise are in good shape for now. We've also got the home report done on our house and we are happy with the valuation, but need to wait another week or so before it goes on the market. Still, at least I get a break from keeping it tidy. And our tiny little baby just turned 1 :eek: Where oh where did that year go. He is just brilliant just now, so much fun! But it also means I've just started back at work, which is good financially but sad times too :(

• mfmaybe
    Options
    So we might have changed our mind about the mortgage, it's still undecided. As the house is about to go on the market, we would (hopefully!) be moving well within the ERC period, as a new fix means another 2+ years. We can port within 3 months of selling here and get that refunded; but if we didn't find our dream home* within the 3 months we'd have to pay the ERC as well as the fee for remortgaging in the first place. So that would be around £5k in fees in total, versus a saving of less than £200/month. Of course if we DO manage to move within the 3 months, we'd have overpaid on interest - but the exposure is far less that way. I'm also not sure if we'd have to pay another fee for extending the borrowing. In which case we definitely shouldn't remortgage now - the £1k fee would not be covered by reduced interest for 5 months.

*The problem is we want to buy somewhere with land and the options are often limited, so it's a real possibility we will have a gap between homes.

Anyway we have until 22nd to sign the paperwork so are sitting on it for a few more days.

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Best of luck with it all MFM - hope all goes to plan as know finding a new place thats suitable will be tricky.

With a small one as well - you're doing great

Brizzle x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hope you managed to decide on the mortgage. Any progress on sale?
  • mfmaybe
    Options
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Best of luck with it all MFM - hope all goes to plan as know finding a new place thats suitable will be tricky.

With a small one as well - you're doing great

Brizzle x

Thanks Brizzle. We've seen a few options but it's too soon to put in offers as yet.
    Hope you managed to decide on the mortgage. Any progress on sale?

Schedule in preparation so hopefully on the market in time for the weekend!

So - another long overdue update. What's been going on. I'm back at work; not yet up to full time but will be in another two weeks. I immediately alarmed myself by spending a fortune on a daily basis. So am trying to get back into the habit of bringing lunch with me and not succumbing to cake temptation. I'm not a big sandwich fan but have been trying out some home made noodle cup ideas (courtesy of pinterest). But need to be organised as I am leaving for work at 7am, DH is doing nursery drop off.

Today was a bit of a bad news day. The tenant in my flat is moving out, that's ok but timing is a bit rubbish as now need to decide whether to sell, and that might be too soon as would only sell it if I need the equity. Then got a flipping parking notice, £50 :eek: for overstaying my welcome at the shops. The irony of course is I never go to the shops as I hate it, but I was out buying bits and pieces for DS' birthday and tried to get it over and done with. Never mind. Also had the lovely septic tank emptied today so goodbye £200.

Other money news:
    Recently had to pay for the home report (still in place in Scotland) so that was nearly £600. The massive annual road tax is nearly due (as per the first posts and title of my diary!) and I have very definitely NOT used ebay to pay for it. That is also £500 :eek:

Other than that, DS is now at nursery full time so that's a mortgage payment in itself. But he loves it, and we don't have family around to help (not sure I'd ask anyway) so it has to be done.

On the house front, we'd been looking at houses that were a bit of a stretch from our current value. But now wondering if we don't want to risk going quite so high, and perhaps finding something a bit cheaper with some stuff needing done to it. The stamp duty would also be a lot less that way. We shall see.

Right, I better go and collect the little guy from nursery and hear about what he's been up to all day. I shall try to keep up a bit more and will update with house progress (or lack of it) for sure. :p

• mfmaybe
    Options
    Oh yes the mortgage. I found out that we WOULD need to pay another fee on additional borrowing. So have not remortgaged right now and will leave it for a couple of months to see what happens with the house.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family