Renault Scenic losing power problem

Options

Comments

• Delivery_Driver
    Options
    To the left of the battery is some black plastic intercooler pipework with a sensor on it(map sensor).The wiring coming from the loom to this plug is too short and over time engine vibrations snaps the wires and can cause the fault you describe.Shine a torch on the sensor plug at different angles as you cannot always see if the wires have snapped from directly above.
    If it is this, then either lengthen the wires going into the plug by splicing in 3x 2" lengths or do away with the plug altogether and solder the original wires to the sensor or fit spades(will have to be very small ones) and slot them on.If you do it this way then use insulating tape to keep the damp out.
    I had this problem and it took a lot of searching on the internet before finding the solution.After fixing it, the car stopped going into limp mode and the mpg rose significantly.
  • alirob12
    alirob12 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi i thought i sorted it by changing the egr valve... but after about 2 weeks the problem came back. i have now disconnected the MAF - and it seemed perfect for about 2 weeks again but as i drove out the other day the orange fan light came on again and the revs would only go up to about 2500. it went back to normal after a second - but still it happened. I will try the above suggestion having replaced the MAF... hopefully it will get sorted.
    Thanks
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    alir!!!2 wrote: »
    hi i thought i sorted it by changing the egr valve... but after about 2 weeks the problem came back. i have now disconnected the MAF - and it seemed perfect for about 2 weeks again but as i drove out the other day the orange fan light came on again and the revs would only go up to about 2500. it went back to normal after a second - but still it happened. I will try the above suggestion having replaced the MAF... hopefully it will get sorted.
    Thanks

Turbo actuator?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    youve disconnected the MAF, now it can read the airflow.

my suggestion would be look at getting mafs replaced. tighten all pipework from intercooler to turbo then upto airinlet look for splits where air could possibly be leaking out. also if a pipe is soft and worn the can partially or fully collapse when sucking in air restricting flow.

egr was blocked last time, can cause damage to the cat converter, filling it with carbon soot, throttle housing may also be caked up in carbon deposits give throttle a good clean with carb cleaner and a soft cloth (dont scratch the surface of the shutter). while your replacing the MAFS.
  • alirob12
    Options
    Thank you everyone. MAF changed, full service done and so far so good... It even feels more dynamic so thats great. Old MAF had a load of stuff flying around inside - whether that was it - im not sure.

Lets hope it has fixd the problem for good.

Last thing to do is my reverse switch 2 things - 1st - does anyone know where the switch is on scenic mk1 1.9dci - i tried to look in the the obvious places - under the battery - underneath - by handbrake etc, 2nd - does anyone know if it is a 2 or 3 pin for 2002 1.9dci models? many thanks in advance.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Thank you everyone. MAF changed, full service done and so far so good... It even feels more dynamic so thats great. Old MAF had a load of stuff flying around inside - whether that was it - im not sure.

Lets hope it has fixd the problem for good.

Last thing to do is my reverse switch 2 things - 1st - does anyone know where the switch is on scenic mk1 1.9dci - i tried to look in the the obvious places - under the battery - underneath - by handbrake etc, 2nd - does anyone know if it is a 2 or 3 pin for 2002 1.9dci models? many thanks in advance.

depends on what colour the switch is and without locating it you cant tell.

IIRC its not ontop of the box but to the side at the rear near the linkage arms. and the battery, fuesebox, needs to come away from the area to get your hands in to get it out.

green=2 prong plug.

black= 3 prong plug. if memory serves me.

have a thread lock handy when replacing to make sure its seals back to the box properly.

i think theres a guide on renault forums! on changing one of these.
  • alirob12
    Options
    And back again, 2 weeks being perfect and it happens again!! what the heck??? Iam getting really tired of it!!! As above, fully serviced, new MAF and EGR.. 2 weeks - no problem and it happens today when i have very little diesel in the tank... could this be anything? I filled up and managed to get home without it happening again???
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    And back again, 2 weeks being perfect and it happens again!! what the heck??? Iam getting really tired of it!!! As above, fully serviced, new MAF and EGR.. 2 weeks - no problem and it happens today when i have very little diesel in the tank... could this be anything? I filled up and managed to get home without it happening again???

was the fuel filter replaced as this full service interval?

in a scenic never rely on the fuel guage when its at a low point, its quite convincing you have about 30-40 miles left in it but in reality its about 3-4 miles, coupled with dragging dirt the minute bit of water in the fuel lines and up into the injectors its not a good idea in a 1.9 DCI to let the needle dip below a quarter left so not to drag up bits in the bottom of the tank.
  • alirob12
    Options
    thanks, yes the fuel filter was changed. Normally the diesel light comes on when i supposedly have 50miles left in the tank (i dont really rely on it) and just put some diesel around then. However today for the first time ever it went down below 50 - (45 to be excat) and the light didnt come on. So this is unusual... so i decided to fill up and it seemed ok. I ll check it in the morning and will see what happens...
  • Delivery_Driver
    Options
    When you replaced the egr valve did you also clean out all the housing it goes into?I did mine and there was an absolute ton of isgusting goop in there which clogs up the channels inside and stops it working properly.Make sure you wear latex gloves when doing it as I didn't and it took about a week for my hands to be clean again.
    Also, did you check the wires I mentioned before?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure