Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 23rd Jan 12, 8:52 PM
    • 2,820Posts
    • 55,952Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start
    • 23rd Jan 12, 8:52 PM
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start 23rd Jan 12 at 8:52 PM
    I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
    My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
    I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
Page 2
    • kittie
    • By kittie 25th Jan 12, 1:45 PM
    • 10,387 Posts
    • 53,336 Thanks
    kittie
    oh good, OP I love the idea of a new thread full of optimism

Allotment ( 8 x 100) planning has given me several very enjoyable days this winter. I even started a brand new A4 `posh` hardback notebook on the subject and all in pencil, so I can rub out without it getting messy. Sad I know but I even put in rotations for the next 4 years and the numbers of plants to put into it this year. Well tbh we are stuffing ourselves with cabbages day after day, just 4 more big ones to go as well as a whole bed of spring cabbage, which sprung too early because of the warm winter

I am one of the hardy winter thread lot that made rather large stockpiles for winter and we haven`t had any snow, unlike last year when we were snowed in for 6 weeks. I have completely overdone it and we are now eating our way through it but it is hardly being dented. 7 weeks so far and I have spent a total of £41 on milk and fruit and that is all. I have the stockpile and the allotment to thank for that

I also confess to getting too many goodies in for christmas and the winter `lock in` and they will be eaten over the next 8 (shhh) weeks or so. Someone please remind me not to go into overdrive next year

Butternut squash soup tonight
    butternut
    some onion
    3 garlic cloves
    2 chilis
    2 tsp grated ginger
    1 .5 pints veg stock
    1 can coconut milk
    saute, add stock cook 10 minutes, add coconut milk cook 5 mins. Add s and p and whizz. Its gorgeous
    Last edited by kittie; 25-01-2012 at 1:53 PM.
    • CCP
    • By CCP 25th Jan 12, 1:57 PM
    • 5,039 Posts
    • 92,492 Thanks
    CCP
    Thanks for the soup recipe, kittie - I've got a butternut squash that's been sitting around in my kitchen for long enough to make me - I might actually get around to turning it into soup this weekend now I've got a nice-sounding recipe.
    we all hold our own futures in our hands, so if we all hold those metaphorical hands and jump together, we can keep each other afloat - monnagran
    • flowertotmum
    • By flowertotmum 25th Jan 12, 3:29 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 12,363 Thanks
    flowertotmum
    O dear sorry you didn't like the river cobbler..but the smoked stuff is lovely..give it a go..

Kittie..hiya..ooh i love my allotment book..i sit and plan what i'm going to plant and how many..also what yield i get off them in total..sad i know but i enjoy going through it and seeing where i can improve...your not the only one who seriously overstocked for the winter(what winter)..and christmas..got lots of lovely treats all hidden away and which will at some point be brought forth for our dinner or just a slap up tea...
    Scottishminnie..hun your welcome at mine anytime for lunch...

P.s..kittie thanks for the butternut squash recipe..i have been slightly bewildered by the amount i have in my spare room..24 is an awful lot..and they seem to be weathering well too..not one has gone funny..
    take care all.
    ftm
    Last edited by flowertotmum; 25-01-2012 at 3:30 PM. Reason: carppy spelling
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..

Debt free and loving it.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 25th Jan 12, 5:39 PM
    • 10,387 Posts
    • 53,336 Thanks
    kittie
    FTM coincidence or what, I also had 24 squashes and kept in a cool room and still going strong. 2 butternut hunter plants, that`s all. Ooh I can`t wait to get back out, quietly weeding on my hands and knees in the fresh air. I can be out there for 3 hours and never think of snacking but am so tempted from time to time at home. I ordered new glasses esp for gardening and cycling ie biggish old fashioned frames with distance (not varifocal) lenses which go dark in the sun.

I have sown seeds of peppers and chillis in a propagator and have a posh seed box with dividers for the months, so am well sorted. Last week I transplanted a load of strawberry runners (mara des bois) and they are ready to take off soon, all in troughs in my patiogro

So bloomin sad or I think it is waking-up hormones kicking me out of hibernation. All I can think about is getting sorted for gardening. Arghhh, what do I do with zillions of home frozen beans. I`ve got to get everything used up by the end of the hungry gap. That reminds me, if you crave easy fresh salad veg then grow sprouted seeds. Alfalfa is best and quickest and takes only four days. All you need is a kilner jar, a stocking and something to lean the draining jar on
    http://www.backyardnature.net/simple/alf-spr.htm
  • D&DD
    FTM glad to see you back!

I wondered where we'd disappeared off to then spotted this so hellooo everyone again

My garden is still reasonably productive atm and we had some of our xmas spuds tonight for tea along with homegrown peas,runners and carrots.(Peas and beans from the freezer,pulled the carrots fresh.)

I'm trying to resist the lure of the garden centre and seed catalogues but its hard work
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 25th Jan 12, 9:03 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 55,952 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    [QUOTE=kittie;50514671]FTM coincidence or what, I also had 24 squashes and kept in a cool room and still going strong.

I have sown seeds of peppers and chillis in a propagator and have a posh seed box with dividers for the months, so am well sorted. Last week I transplanted a load of strawberry runners (mara des bois) and they are ready to take off soon, all in troughs in my patiogro

/QUOTE]

My garden is still reasonably productive atm and we had some of our xmas spuds tonight for tea along with homegrown peas,runners and carrots.(Peas and beans from the freezer,pulled the carrots fresh.)

I'm trying to resist the lure of the garden centre and seed catalogues but its hard work
    Originally posted by D&DD

Were the squash easy to grow - I'm liking the sound of having them this late.

I still have carrots which hubby says will be frosted but they are in a tub so I may pull them at the weekend and see what we have. There won't be a lot but getting anything would be a bonus.

Should I be starting to put things in propogators on my kitchen window ledge? I don't have a greenhouse but last year I got 2 of those little plastic greenhouse things from Lakeland. They are in the garage awaiting me building them. I wonder if I should start earlier this year than last. I haven't got round to reading my new gardening journal yet.

I've thrown all the seed and bulb catalogues out as soon as they arrived as I could spend an absolute fortune. Daffodil and tulip bulbs are my weakness. I bought hundreds a few years back and the wild rabbits ate the whole lot - I can only hope they had severe indigestion (or worse)
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • kittie
    • By kittie 25th Jan 12, 9:22 PM
    • 10,387 Posts
    • 53,336 Thanks
    kittie
    yes very easy just don`t sow seed too early, read the seed packet and go by what it says. Hunter and Harrier (I think that is the name) were bred for northern climes. They produce big weed-supressing leaves and the roots are just under the initial plant. You just feed and water and pick in about late september, they keep until spring. I grew 2 plants.

Carrots should keep well in soil in frost, just cover in fleece on frosty nights

Its too early to sow anything yet except peppers and chillis and they need warmth. Mine are at 28 degrees. Wait a while, sit on your hands.
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 25th Jan 12, 9:58 PM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    FTM, we're only decorating our hallway with white textured paper. It's a very dark hall and needs the brightness of the paper. It has pretty little white stars on it though so it'll be lovely when it's done.
    Wrt: seed sewing; we generally start ours off indoors around February time but the last two years we've lost nearly everything around April/May with high wind or sudden cold. The best year we ever had was our first year growing. I think it was our 4th summer here so 2008. We got started really late and I remember sewing courgette seeds on my birthday weekend with BiL in the garden chatting to DH. I popped them in individual seed cells and covered them with a plastic bag as I didn't have anything else. They were whoppers when they grew and we had absolutely tonnes of them. I was taking them into work because we just couldn't eat them as fast as they were growing!
    Oh how I wish we could get crops like that again!
    We can't grow carrots here. They do absolutely nothing. No idea why?

MiL gets a good amount from her allotment and I think she'll get more this year as she's retired now so will have more time down there. I love stuff fresh from the ground. Tomatoes warm from the vine are the best aren't they?
    Chillies we seem to get coming out of our ears too

Hoping for a later summer this year but I'm almost convinced that the seasons have shifted a little.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt £52856.59 £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 26th Jan 12, 7:43 AM
    • 10,387 Posts
    • 53,336 Thanks
    kittie
    can I remind you that seville oranges (for marmalade) are in the shops right now and they don`t stay there for long. I made 40 lb last january so am not making any this year. I did not slice the peel but I set up my mincer on a table and minced the peel coarsely and it was very quick and easy and something I will do in future. I have an os porkert mincer, a cast iron thing that you clamp on a table

have a good day all. I am going on the bus shortly to get my new gardening specs
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 26th Jan 12, 8:18 AM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    What are gardening specs kittie? (I'm very nosy! )
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT £92727.75 £49395.47 £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my £6316.14 £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 26th Jan 12, 8:26 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 28,680 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Hope you don't mind if I join in? I'm at home today, having been daft enough to fall out of the loft trap a couple of days ago & sprain my ankle. Luckily I made my marmalade just before - I used a food processor that my neighbour was throwing out to do the mincing - or I'd be throwing my Sevilles in the freezer where I'd find them again in July, when I don't have any jam jars left because I've used them all for redcurrant jam...
    What I need now is a good seed catalogue! Failing that I shall get on & make some more things to sell at the next vintage & handmade market.
    Angie

GC 03/17 - sitting this month out...
    Bulk-buying purse 2017 - £118.53/£420
    Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
  • rachbc
    I can definitely sense the sap rising'1 I don't grow much but am slowly learning what does ok. I only have a front garden so want it to look like so am attmepting a frech pttage style of growing veg and fruit amoungst the flowers - scarlet runner beans, beet spinach and beetroot, strawberries, a plum tree and an apple - hoping to add a tiny cherry this year too.

Our rear yard is my priority though - getting a better area sorted for the choocks and a few more tubs with flowers I can cut for the house. Frivilous maybe but feeding the soul is just as importnat as feeding the body and flowers in the house make my heart sing!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • D&DD
    Rach I grew tall purple podded peas last year and they were so pretty..I had sweet peas in my front garden entwined with runner beans and the purple peas and more people commented on the peas than the flowers

I also grow curly parsley out there with lipstick pink leaf beet,kale,leeks and anything else I can cram in..who says veg has to be boring

I have a set of dvd's I got from Amazon (geoff hamilton) and they have the kitchen garden series on them and he grows veg in amongst his flowers its a great series although their idea of a small town garden is my idea of a football pitch lol..
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
    • flowertotmum
    • By flowertotmum 26th Jan 12, 10:09 AM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 12,363 Thanks
    flowertotmum
    Morning all...

Kaz,that sounds lovely..our own hallay is very dark but the light paint and white accessories make it look and feel a bit brighter and bigger

Kittie,you are not the only one who can't wait to get their hands in the dirt once again..i spend ages doing back and front gardens..then off to the lotties..

Scottishminjnie,my lovely son grew all our butternut squashes..i think he did very well considering the bumper crop we had..pity he doesn't like them..

Thriftwizard,hiya..hope your ankle is ok..i have lots of seed catalogues..bit obsessive actually..i order them very year on boxing day.What kind of things do you make and sell? Do you have a website? Nosey aren't i?

Rachbc..i agree with that..i love flowers in my home,just kinda finishes it all off IYKWIM..thats a great idea about growing your fruit and veggies amongst the flowers..they seem to compliment each other.

Well i am not doing much today..i think tbh the last 3 weeks has finally caught up with me and i am shattered..i need some sleep and some one please send me some get and go..mine has left the building and is showing no sign of coming back...
    We are having scrambled eggs on toast for lunch..got lots of eggs to get through..my chooks only stopped laying for a few days and then wham back into full laying..

On out to do list..we have looked real hard at our kitchen..although well made its looking a bit orangey the pine that is..so i am going to splurge on some just off white cupboard paint and paint the knobs some different colours..jazz it up a bit..have bid on and won some nice lacey edging for my shelves in kitchen..keeping the black worktop and just a big deep clean of it all plus painting and it will be amazing..
    so off to have a cuppa with my gorgeous hubby and beautiful dd...
    have a great day all..
    see you all later
    love
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..

Debt free and loving it.
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 26th Jan 12, 11:03 AM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    Well, I've just had my wall at the front of the house repaired. The road menders came to repair the hole in the road which has been getting worse for the last 5 years. On turning around they knocked one of my massive stones of the wall, over the top and onto my strawberry pots smashing them to pieces. He denied he'd broken them at first but I showed him all the bits. The plants are wrecked too. He said he could fix the wall and was apologetic about the pots. I thought I'd try my luck and ask if they could re-cement another stone which was resting as it's been knocked out previously. They've done that for me.
    I now need to get some new pots for the front to make my strawberries happy again. I was given them by my neighbour last year and they did very well whereas mine always do badly so I want to try and resurrect the plants. It's bad enough that something large had already damaged the tub when we were out one day (no idea what or how but there were bits of plant and loads of mud everywhere!).
    Want dry weather too so that I can finish off the front bit and then it'll be easier to keep under control. My pansies are still going well as are my livingstone daisies and the geraniums. Madness, I tell you!

• robsmum
    Hello, may I join you please. I have read the thread so far and you seem right up my street. I love growing things, do the odd bits of veg(hoping to improve this year)love making jams and chutneys, love what I call"frugaling", love decorating, housework and crafty stuff also have about zero money!

So far in proagator I have chillies,leeks, basil and corriander and some pheasant eye flowers. Have a greenhouse that is in its 2nd year and so far my cuttings have survived.
    Debt at start of DMP 1/6/09: £2942 - £1942
    Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
    £2 saving plan:-
    • kittie
    • By kittie 26th Jan 12, 1:42 PM
    • 10,387 Posts
    • 53,336 Thanks
    kittie
    What are gardening specs kittie? (I'm very nosy! )
    Originally posted by Kaz2904

they are just bigger (granny) specs so the dust doesn`t blow into my eyes and I got them photocromatic ones. I cycle to the allotment and the dust blows over my narrower glasses

I had a good toddle around the outlet village and I must say that I am not that impressed with the m and s outlet. I had a good feel and the garments feel thin and cheap. Julian graves has gone, boo hoo, I`ll miss that store. Twice I heard people asking for job application forms, I felt so sad at the reality

I am made up because I found tins of sterilised cream. Let`s just say that I have been looking for this stuff for years and years, so handy to keep in a cupboard

Beautiful sunny afternoon here and sitting inside is like being abroad. I watched benidorm er last night oh dear, no wonder I woud rather holiday from home
  • Memory Girl
    OOOOhhhh!!! L**l has got their packet seeds in - I buy one packet every week to top up my poundland mulit-packs.

Splurged on chard and spinach today

MG
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE

Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 26th Jan 12, 3:38 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 14,908 Thanks
    oldtractor
    Hi everyone. Good idea ;this thread. I havnt been following the old one. Now to business; have been digging over the veg plot but its too wet now. Gone really quite cold here and hail and sleet in the rain. it is very soggy. Made a pan of soup for lunch which was nice with HM bread. its either pilchards on toast or omlettes for dinner later. We have a hen; an escaped battery hen who managed to avois being loaded onto the killing lorry. This new free "pet" is called LBH [Last Battery Hen] and we have borrowed a coop from a friend;but we need to decide what to do; i foresee a major spend for a hen house and run coming up;and she'll need some friends too. Its a gloomy old day here ;must summon up enough energy to bake later;need to make some bread and quiches and cake.
    Trying for 10 a day
    • kittie
    • By kittie 26th Jan 12, 4:04 PM
    • 10,387 Posts
    • 53,336 Thanks
    kittie
    I am wondering whether to strip beds tonight, ready for washing early tomorrow. It`s going to be cold but bright and hopefully a bit windy so may be a good chance to get flannelette duvet covers dry. I generally take them in while the sun is still out and I lay them on chairs in the lounge as any sun makes the room very warm. Its all about forward planning re drying this winter. I like to finish off indoors but not full blown drying

Second winter in this new eco house and I have been doing some experimenting re using more electric heaters v the wood pellet stove but have come to the conclusion that the stove cannot be beaten for getting all round warmth into the fabric of the building. The electric heaters and immersion are good though at the beginning and end of winter as the sun makes the house warm very quickly so the stove and heaters are not needed. I have been working out what weight of pellets we need to survive a hard winter and now I am aiming for us to have 1.5 tonnes in by next october. They get dropped at the front on pallets and then we have to cart that lot over a fair expanse of gravel and I am very glad I bought a wheelbarrow with two wide front wheels. Luckily you can get them in 10kg bags, which are very manageable as they have to be lifted several times
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,489Posts Today

9,117Users online

Martin's Twitter