Credit card payments and interest - how does it work?

Options
paulfoel
paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Made a bit of a mistake.....

Example.

Jan spent £1000 on card.

Bill 1st Feb for £1000.

Paid £900 in Feb. Bill 1st march had interest because I didnt pay full balance. My mistake....

Feb also spent £1000 on card.

In march, cleared balance from 1st march bill (£100 not paid, plus £1000 plus interest).

Am I right in saying I will continue to pay interest on original £1000 (that I did not clear the balance) until I pay this in march?

What about spend in feb and march? Does this attract interest? Or not since this is now paid in full?
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You'll​ pay interest on a daily basis on the balance at the time.

Once you have cleared two consecutive statements in full, you won't be charged interest as long as you clear in full each month.
  • paulfoel
    Options
    You'll​ pay interest on a daily basis on the balance at the time.

Once you have cleared two consecutive statements in full, you won't be charged interest as long as you clear in full each month.

!!!!!!.. Few quid then.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Given you are spending that kind of money every month, I hope you have been using a cashback card or one that offers you rewards in some form:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-credit-card-rewards

Or if you are finding that you can't clear the balance every month, a 0% purchases card may suit your needs better as you would have no interest to pay for the length of term:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-credit-cards
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • paulfoel
    Options
    Always pay off in full. This time I paid in two parts and for some reason worked it out wrong.

(Numbers are made up BTW - acttal total was £2200 and I paid £2000).
  • skea56
    skea56 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Newshound!
    Options
    With regards to the above lime about clearing for two statements...is this the full statement balance or the purchase amount?

I have a Tesco cc on which I have a balance at 0% and I have a dd for the minimum each month. I knock off a bit extra when I can.

Annoyingly an insurance premium for £150 came off the card the month after the 0% was set up.(I thought it was coming off A diff card)
    the direct debit came off as normal plus I also sent an additional payment of £200 to clear the new purchase but which arrived a day after the payment date so I got charged interest. No biggie it was only £1.70ish but I have since been further charged on the next 2 statements.

Am I going to continue to receive interest charges until the full balance is cleared?
    Savings: £2 Jar: £804/£1000
    Debts: Santander 1211.12/1780.47 (32% Paid) Total Debt Paid Off £12871.66
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Until the interest bearing purchases are cleared.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    I think in some cases it can be cheaper to take a cash withdrawal just before the payment date, if that means being able to pay in full, and hence not have interest on the rest of it. If you have only £100 spare, and need to pay £300, you can take the £100 out and pay it back in 3 times.
    Sometimes the arithmetic makes it sensible to do that.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    I think in some cases it can be cheaper to take a cash withdrawal just before the payment date, if that means being able to pay in full, and hence not have interest on the rest of it. If you have only £100 spare, and need to pay £300, you can take the £100 out and pay it back in 3 times.
    Sometimes the arithmetic makes it sensible to do that.
    Not the generally given advice but yes a very good idea. If the OP had done this he would have paid only the £3 cash advance fee and a very small amount of interest each month.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    skea56 wrote: »
    With regards to the above lime about clearing for two statements...is this the full statement balance or the purchase amount?

I have a Tesco cc on which I have a balance at 0% and I have a dd for the minimum each month. I knock off a bit extra when I can.

Annoyingly an insurance premium for £150 came off the card the month after the 0% was set up.(I thought it was coming off A diff card)
    the direct debit came off as normal plus I also sent an additional payment of £200 to clear the new purchase but which arrived a day after the payment date so I got charged interest. No biggie it was only £1.70ish but I have since been further charged on the next 2 statements.

Am I going to continue to receive interest charges until the full balance is cleared?

What payment date did you send the £200 one day after?

The date after your insurer took the £150 or the due date for the credit card payment?

You may actually have paid it too early if the insurance payment had not yet appeared on a statement, meaning the £200 came off the promotional 0% balance.
  • skea56
    skea56 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Newshound!
    Options
    Insurance came out on 26th March,payment was due by 2nd-DD of £36 came out on 2nd. £200 payment came out on 3rd.

To me,the purchase has been paid off in full And then some?

Sk56
    Savings: £2 Jar: £804/£1000
    Debts: Santander 1211.12/1780.47 (32% Paid) Total Debt Paid Off £12871.66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills