Regular Savings @ 6% vs TSB 5%

Options
Good Morning Money Savers!!

Just a quick question -

If I were to be able to save say £300 or £250 per month into a 6% Regular Saver (like M&S or First Direct) would this net me more vs Drip Feeding into a 5% saver such as Nationwide or TSB ?

It seems obvious ( I know), but a lot of the people on these boards seem to use just the 5% 'savers', and over look the Regular savers for some reason (maybe the flexibility of the 5% accounts vs Regular savers offering 6% ?)

So, just for clarity if I was paying a regular amount in per month it would net me roughly 20% more interest?

And the 5% accounts are still vastly superior for cash savings in a lump sum ?

Kind Regards

Joe

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...It seems obvious ( I know),
    Absolutely.
    but a lot of the people on these boards seem to use just the 5% 'savers', and over look the Regular savers for some reason (maybe the flexibility of the 5% accounts vs Regular savers offering 6% ?)
    Don't know about "a lot", but I guess they are just lazy.
    In fact many people have several regular savers.
    So, just for clarity if I was paying a regular amount in per month it would net me roughly 20% more interest?
    This depends on the amount and what you compare.
    5% is better than feeding 6% regular saver from a 0% account.
    If you feed 6% from 5% this makes you ~0.5% gross extra, i.e.~£18 per £3.6K.
    Well this depends on how you define 'vastly' and how big is the sum.
    As above, by using 6% regular saver correctly you can earn ~£18 gross p.a. on £3.6K as compared to 5% accounts.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Regular savers are great for two things
    1. People who don't have savings but want to start putting earnings aside from regular income.
    2. People with savings who want to get a better return.

It only works if you can lock the money away for a year though. I have two RS that end soon, but as I'm extending my house I won't start them again as I'll need the money.

If you just have a £4000 lump sue you'll do better by opening 2xTSB accounts (one joint) for 5% than leaving the money in a 0% current account and saving £300 monthly at 6%. You do the best if you use the 2xTSB 5% accounts and then shift £300 monthly to 6%, but as it's not too much extra reward for the 'hassle' of opening more accounts (you need a first direct current account, an M&S current account, or a HSBC advance current account to get the 6% RS), many people can't be bothered.
  • typistretired
    typistretired Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have the maximum amount in the current accounts offering 3 to 5 per cent then the regular saver is the next best account. I have a regular saver with firstdirect (allows up to £300 per month interest rate 6%) and Lloyds club (allows up to £400 per month interest rate 4%)
    I "estimate" if you pay in the full amount allowed each month at the end of the 12 months you would receive £92.69 net for first direct and £82.63 for Llloyds club.
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why 'next'?
    If you have even, say, £2.5K in a 5% account, a 6% regular saver has a higher priority than another 5% account, not to mention 3%.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Good Morning Money Savers!!

Just a quick question -

If I were to be able to save say £300 or £250 per month into a 6% Regular Saver (like M&S or First Direct) would this net me more vs Drip Feeding into a 5% saver such as Nationwide or TSB ?

It seems obvious ( I know), but a lot of the people on these boards seem to use just the 5% 'savers', and over look the Regular savers for some reason (maybe the flexibility of the 5% accounts vs Regular savers offering 6% ?)

Kind Regards

Joe

For the sake of clarity :p the '5% savers' which you mention, with Nationwide and TSB, are actually current accounts, not 'savers'.

The lines between savings accounts and current accounts have become blurred as more providers seek to grow market share by offering good interest rates on their current accounts, while rates on savings accounts remain very low :(

However, they are very different products, and not always interchangeable ;)
  • Drebin911
    Drebin911 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

And Yes Badger, I agree that the lines have been blurred so much with savings and accounts and current accounts which act as savers :p

My situation currently is
    £2500 in Nationwide flex account, (current) earning 5%
    £1500 in TSB Current account plus earning 5%
    (This money is stoozed, so in 12 months will be used to pay off credit cards currently on 0%)

I have another TSB plus account ready for another 2k of savings once the first is filled up.

My circumstances have changed, meaning I will now be able to save around 3-400 per month from next month - Should I just load this into 5% current accounts until I fill them up? And then move onto the 6% regular saings as offered by M&S and HSBC.

Although as Grumbler pointed out, the extra is fairly small amount extra.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

And Yes Badger, I agree that the lines have been blurred so much with savings and accounts and current accounts which act as savers :p

My situation currently is
    £2500 in Nationwide flex account, (current) earning 5%
    £1500 in TSB Current account plus earning 5%
    (This money is stoozed, so in 12 months will be used to pay off credit cards currently on 0%)

I have another TSB plus account ready for another 2k of savings once the first is filled up.

My circumstances have changed, meaning I will now be able to save around 3-400 per month from next month - Should I just load this into 5% current accounts until I fill them up? And then move onto the 6% regular saings as offered by M&S and HSBC.

Although as Grumbler pointed out, the extra is fairly small amount extra.

As long as you're sure you can meet the T&C of the 6% Regular Savers, then you might as well go for it.

FYI, First Direct are known to be choosy about who they accept, and HSBC has a pretty rigorous application process:(. It also needs the current account to be funded by at least £1750 per month, which may or may not be a problem for you. M&S online banking isn't the most user friendly, and needs a Secure Pass thingy :p

Having said that, I am an experienced multi accounter and have all 3, plus the 3 Regular savers, and I manage them ok :p

Read around the T&Cs and come back if you have any more questions.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you're going to be saving £300 extra per month, why bother with a 5% account when you can have a 6% account......?

That's what the thread that you started is about!

But you will need an extra current account with the provider of the RS. Up to you whether it's worth it. But if you decide it isn't worth it then you have expertly answered your own question in post 1!
  • Drebin911
    Drebin911 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    As long as you're sure you can meet the T&C of the 6% Regular Savers, then you might as well go for it.

FYI, First Direct are known to be choosy about who they accept, and HSBC has a pretty rigorous application process:(. It also needs the current account to be funded by at least £1750 per month, which may or may not be a problem for you. M&S online banking isn't the most user friendly, and needs a Secure Pass thingy :p

Having said that, I am an experienced multi accounter and have all 3, plus the 3 Regular savers, and I manage them ok :p

Read around the T&Cs and come back if you have any more questions.

Cheers for the reply, I think I'll apply. The M&S Bank account seems the best one to go with, as I don't think First Direct or HSBC would take me on! they're bloody annoying those little security keyboards, I also have a number of accounts and have managed to get by so far with (Halifax,Lloyds,TSB,Santander,Tesco and Nationwide) without using one of those passes!

Herbalus wrote: »
    If you're going to be saving £300 extra per month, why bother with a 5% account when you can have a 6% account......?

That's what the thread that you started is about!

But you will need an extra current account with the provider of the RS. Up to you whether it's worth it. But if you decide it isn't worth it then you have expertly answered your own question in post 1!

Yup, more like an internal conversation with myself in front of the internet! Good job this board is so helpful and not too judgemental eh :grin:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheers for the reply, I think I'll apply. The M&S Bank account seems the best one to go with, as I don't think First Direct or HSBC would take me on! they're bloody annoying those little security keyboards, I also have a number of accounts and have managed to get by so far with (Halifax,Lloyds,TSB,Santander,Tesco and Nationwide) without using one of those passes!
    You do know M&S also requires a "pass"?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport