how do I know if my pc is doing something in the backgroud

Options
Windows 10 just did a (very) long update and re-start

I can now use the PC but the internet is very very slow, I suspect perhaps the update is still doing something in the background?

How can I check? I remember years ago (dial up) when an update was downloading there would be an icon in the bottom corner indicating this so you knew everything would run a lot slower than usual, why is it not so simple any more :(

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    task manager or performance monitor
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    task manager or performance monitor

Yes I looked at that I have 62 background processes :eek: they don't seem to be doing anything but I am not knowledgeable enough to know which ones I need or not. I have three for google chrome but its only open once with one tab open.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Windows 10 is always downloading bloomin' updates in the background.
    The easiest way to figure this is if there is significant disk activity when you're doing nothing in particular.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Google Chrome is notorious for spawning processes. There are always more than you would believe possible!
  • jrtfan
    jrtfan Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, might it be worth trying a different browser to Chrome, see if that makes any difference?

I've been using Opera on Win 8.1 for a couple of years and it's always been stable (touch wood).

Mozilla Firefox seems like another good one according to friends, although I haven't tried it myself.

After using Opera problem-free for a while, I got rid of Chrome from my system completely as I found it - also Internet Explorer - slowed things down to a crawl.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    thanks all

I couldn't figure out what the problem was so I uninstalled the updates.

working fine again now :)
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    No its not working

So mad it also keeps displaying web sites as mobile mode

I uninstalled what I could of the update but one part there was no option to uninstall.

I am fuming looks like I will have to pay someone to look at it, I wouldn't mind if it was something I did but I haven't done anything it updated automatically.

I can't download firefox as the website takes too long to respond I can't even get on the page to download. I have tried using edge but that didn't work either. Loading web pages takes longer than it did on dial up and most of the time they time out before loading.

Is is clearly doing something as the light is constantly flashing even with nothing open just sitting on the desktop but I have no idea how to find out what it is. I have disabled all the apps that run in the background via settings, this didn't fix it. Annoyingly I had a notification telling me three apps were running in the background that would slow it down but it didn't tell me what they were or how to disable them.

I have not added any apps, whatever it is downloaded itself with the update.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Possibly also worth running a malware scan with MalwareBytes and adwCleaner.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
    https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    Windows 10 is always downloading bloomin' updates in the background.
    The easiest way to figure this is if there is significant disk activity when you're doing nothing in particular.

Yes, and if you haven't disabled all the spying options it's probably spending lots of time phoning home and sharing your intimate details with the cleaning lady in Microsoft Towers.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport