We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    If there's anything I'm missing or doing wrong please spare me from my misery. :D

Teabags: most of them don't compost completely because they're partly plastic.:(

Shocking, I know, but I only learned after putting them in my Dalek for around 3 years.....:mad:

Some people say it doesn't matter, or tear them open and just put the tea in the bin.....

There may be few (expensive) brands that don't use plastics, or there's loose tea.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jul/02/teabags-biodegradeable
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 19 July 2017 at 7:55PM
    Options
    I sticks in my craw too davesnave. I only learned a few years back that our beloved Tetley was probably 30% plastic. I waged war for a while but they're in the house again. I've only stuck tea-pigs green tea in so I think I'll be ok but yeah really annoying.

Actually, I'll open the Tetleys so thanks for that
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been down in Dave's part of the world for the last week (a bit further SW and on the coast). We had a lot of rain, and spectacular thunder and lightning.

On the way home we stopped at East Lambrook Manor Gardens to break the journey and I seem to have come home with a few more plants... now I have to get them in the ground before I leave for work on Tuesday morning!

The wires went up for the pergolas last week and most of the clematis have been untangled from their garden centre cages and tied up. Just one more, and a Constance Spry, to sort out. I think I need two more roses (one to be a banksiae lutea) and two or three more clematis (must check my list). Then I need to try to source the wisteria.

Bulb order also being constructed - I want a whole lot of naturalising daffs & narcissi where I had some tree stumps ground out, plus tulips and alliums.

My weeping willow, which was drastically cut back by the electricity company tree surgeons a couple of years ago looks as if it is dying. Plus I have two ash trees with die-back (one of which needs to go), a goat willow that needs a some serious surgery, and wild pear that needs thinning and a plum and an apple to come out. I think it might be time to book the tree surgeon.

Water levels are incredibly low, and I really need to think about how I'm going to improve the stream. Hopefully planting will make a difference, both in terms of shading it and stablising the bank - and possibly even narrowing it in places. It is far too straight (man made channel) and level. So far I've dumped all the stones I've dug out of the garden (plus lumps of leftover concrete) in two places to create a bit of a curve in the bank, and one of them now has some marsh marigold growing it in.

The lawn needs mowing, but I rather like the clover and little purple orchids that appear when I don't get round to it... and so do the bees apparently!

I'm not home much over the next few weeks, but when I get back i'll have to make a HUGE effort to sort out builders' quotes and get some dates in the diary for them to sort out the floors and get the kitchen into a state where it is ready to be fitted...
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all and hi newbies:)

well we had a fantastic storm Tuesday evening... started with a looooong rumble like a traction engine then the most amazing lightening show... went on for an hour or so..
    the dogs don't normally get bothered but it was the constant rumbling that upset them so I had 3 shivering dogs squished on my bed with me !!
    it is very humid here now , still low 20's ..

mum had a whale of a time at the holiday hotel... off out on coach trips etc, fantastic food .. so did her the world of good.
    dad sadly is not well. he is very tired and cannot speak well. he is 90 now and has done well considering he's been bed bound for the last 4.5 years:(

the rain has been perfect for the hay fields and if we get some sun now for 2-3 weeks we should have a good crop.
    all the animogs are fine, ive been looking after one of dolly's pups for the last week and they do so love each other and go off for their play time, beating each other up !! im hoping dolly may lose some weight in the process !!

going to try and get some work done on the carts this weekend, sand them down and then get painting.. got to re practice my line work for decorating after !

well I hope you all have decent weather again, I see choille id due the heatwave tomorrow :j
  • simplelivingcottage
    Options
    Morning all, amazed that my tomatoes are showing signs of turning! Very exciting. Just wondering how many plant's I'll need to grow next year to get a decent harvest!
  • Chesapeake
    Chesapeake Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Evening :)

The weather down here has been pretty crazy (West/Central Cornwall) but luckily we've not had anything like Coverack. I've always made sure to rent houses at the top of hills since moving to Falmouth 10years ago for a very good reason! The town centre and the main road in flood every time we get heavy rain, crazy for the biggest town in Cornwall that they can't fix drains!

I had a good chat with my malt supplier this week and he said that the barley farmers are loving this rain as it is fattening the spring barley crop a few weeks before harvest. That means good barley which means good malt which means good beer! So enjoy the rain while it lasts haha.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    well we had a fantastic storm Tuesday evening... started with a looooong rumble like a traction engine then the most amazing lightening show... went on for an hour or so..
    Plenty of rain here at last, but very little thunder & lightning, fortunately.

Our two cats react quite differently to that. Lila, who can be jumpy, tends not to bother, unless it's close, but Izzy is upset even if the thunder's miles away. She does a lot of growling, often before we can hear anything, and if it becomes loud enough, she dives under the bedclothes so she won't see anything!
  • Davesnave
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »

On the way home we stopped at East Lambrook Manor Gardens to break the journey and I seem to have come home with a few more plants... now I have to get them in the ground before I leave for work on Tuesday morning!.
    Polemonium 'Lambrook Mauve' is a good plant that we can persuade to flower twice a year. Mrs Fish introduced one or two cracking plants in her time.

When we first visited, many years ago, the garden looked tired and run-down, but the place changed hands after that and returned to its former glory.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Didn't get the river job, but they were very helpful in saying I shouldn't bother with admin jobs anymore, I'd be far better - perfect, even - actually working in outreach/education.

So as I've escaped redundancy/the sack again, I have six weeks off work with salary to go back to - in that time, along with lots of getting the house and garden sorted, I'm going to be doing a couple of days each week with various wildlife/conservation organisations to get my name/face known, a bit of insider knowledge and up to date experience. And I'm going to enjoy it, most importantly. This coming week's activities involve going off to the downs for a bit of ragwort management and invertebrate surveying. The ragwort shouldn't be as hard because of all the rain and if it comes down to it, I can spend more time with the bug counting.

Union rep called me on Thursday and, as the job, which was forced upon me, is actually only suitable for somebody capable of climbing 30 foot ladders and hefting staging around, not somebody who is capable of getting a team of strong people to carry stuff for her and last rappelled down a big rock overlooking the sea in the 1990s (the edited version - the longer one is very long) and they've steadfastly ignored all instructions to not be such $*!("$£*!"£$((*(*(*!"$!_"£(_!£"%&( to me, he thinks there's a good chance that they'll agree to paying me off. If that happens, depending upon the amount, we'll be off like a rat out a drainpipe. and I can get on with applying for conservation jobs down there with the additional recent experience.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Jojo it sounds like you have a plan and by the way I read it, if the plan comes off, you'll be immensely happy.

We too have had a lot of rain but I have managed to completely dig over 1 and 1/3 of the allotment beds.

jobs lately:

-I've been shown the comfrey and nettle corner so I have a bucket making some useful tea. Unfortunately it isn't with rain water though but that's to come as I get myself sorted.
    -MIL has given me 4 pumpkin plants that need transplanting so that is on the cards for today.
    -I finished harvesting the blackcurrents. The bush, to me and I don't know a lot, looked like it had not been cared for so as I picked I pruned. I maybe should have waited until the winter but I read that it was ok to do it after harvesting. I'll look at it again in the winter to get a closer look for crossing branches.
    -the lemon balm also looks like it has been left so that is going to get a really good hair cut today. The leaves are yellowing and minute.
    -I've to assemble my canes for the netting I have (sections of scaffolding net that were to be dumped as holed.)
    -start to weed the path in the outermost corner and to hand hit in bits of stones/pebbles/brick/rubble/anything! to make a harder, less weedy standing.

It is raining today and I am still a housewife with school holiday child minding duties but I will get over there at some point and say what you like about local councils but there was a genius in mine when they decided to put a play park next to the allotments! ;):D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback