Economy 9 with immersion water tank

Options
I hope some of you can advise and help - we're lost!

We have just moved in to our new flat, it's electric only with economy 9 tariff (no gas) and I have absolutely no idea how best to leave the immersion water cylinder as it has two mains switches linked to it, should I be leaving both mains switches on all the time? Or one all/some of the time? (Images below)

http://imgur.com/5r5YiOt
This is the immersion cylinder itself leading to two mains switches (pictured below)

http://imgur.com/uvw6qLt
(I currently have the left switch off, and the right switch is on) this means the lower element on the cylinder is currently always on

Any useful advice/help/information is greatly appreciated as I am worrying that I'm running up a mammoth electric bill by leaving the wrong switch on all the time.

I don't need a huge amount of hot water as there is only 2 of us in the flat, just a modest amount of hot water is needed for the usual tasks of washing up plates, cleaning/washing hands and the occasional bath/5 minute shower.

I'm beginning to worry that I'm wasting a vast amount of money by leaving this switch on! - thanks

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    it normally is the heating element on the bottom that is left on as that will use cheaper electric, where the top 1 is a boost that will use normal expensive day electric
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What does the red text say? Can't read it from the photo
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • curious_badger
    Options
    mackemps3 wrote: »
    it normally is the heating element on the bottom that is left on as that will use cheaper electric, where the top 1 is a boost that will use normal expensive day electric

Thanks, I will leave it as it is then - I'll expect a high electric bill as we turned both on when we first arrived 2 days ago and only turned it off 12 hours ago!
    stator wrote: »
    What does the red text say? Can't read it from the photo

It reads "water heater" (this switch leads to the top element) - very unhelpful and ambiguous eh :rotfl:
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Thanks, I will leave it as it is then - I'll expect a high electric bill as we turned both on when we first arrived 2 days ago and only turned it off 12 hours ago!

It reads "water heater" (this switch leads to the top element) - very unhelpful and ambiguous eh :rotfl:

It, if done properly to spec, should have had a proper PartL water controller like this :

fe7e832e070d85eebce73e9c983f4041_f38.png

In 35 years I've never needed to use the top [heats only 10% (ish) of the tank] heating element. The thermal 'leak' from these PartL tanks is so low per 24 hour cycle its not worth worrying about. Just continue to use the bottom element [heats 90% (ish) of the tank] which should only switch on for the 9 pre-set cheap hours.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As an aside, it might be worth checking that your meters are switching tariff at the correct times. It's not uncommon for tariffs to switch at the wrong times.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's not connected to a timer, are you turning it on in the evening and off in the morning, to take advantage of the E7 rates?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • curious_badger
    Options
    It, if done properly to spec, should have had a proper PartL water controller like this :

fe7e832e070d85eebce73e9c983f4041_f38.png

In 35 years I've never needed to use the top [heats only 10% (ish) of the tank] heating element. The thermal 'leak' from these PartL tanks is so low per 24 hour cycle its not worth worrying about. Just continue to use the bottom element [heats 90% (ish) of the tank] which should only switch on for the 9 pre-set cheap hours.

Thanks for your reply, I have removed the silver caps of both elements and found a thermostat for each of the two respective elements ...

http://imgur.com/IDg5P51
    This is the bottom element (currently switched on as per my first post). The thermostat is currently set at 63 (hard to see but there is an arrow within the black circle). Is this a suitable temperature? Or should I turn it down to about 50?

http://imgur.com/BPlLi4Y
    This is the top element (currently switched off as per my first post). The thermostat is currently set at 60 (again, hard to see but the arrow is within the black circle). Is this a suitable temperature? Or should I turn it down a bit (athough, to be honest, I will probably not turn it on unless I find myself in need of expensive instant hot water!)

Thank you for helping, I am well out of my depth!
  • curious_badger
    Options
    As an aside, it might be worth checking that your meters are switching tariff at the correct times. It's not uncommon for tariffs to switch at the wrong times.

Thanks, I was told by EDF that we get 7 hours cheaper overnight for all electrical outlets in the property (11:30pm until 6:30am) and 2 hours 'somewhere' between 1pm and 4pm but this cheaper rate applies just for water/heating (she couldn't clarify further as to when these 2 hours actually kick in).
    stator wrote: »
    If it's not connected to a timer, are you turning it on in the evening and off in the morning, to take advantage of the E7 rates?

No, I've left the lower element on since last night (I'm hoping it only heats up within the cheaper economy 9 hours). As I was typing this I could hear what must have been the lower element heating up (same sound as if a kettle was boiling - it stopped after approximately 2 minutes). This started at exactly 1:30pm (I guesss that's when my 2 hours begins then eh!)
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't adjust the temperatures. They are fine.

You need to be sure you have an E9 meter.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    . . . As I was typing this I could hear what must have been the lower element heating up (same sound as if a kettle was boiling - it stopped after approximately 2 minutes). This started at exactly 1:30pm (I guesss that's when my 2 hours begins then eh!)
    What you should also check is that the consumption is being registered on the correct tariff. Just because the element is being switched on doesn't necessarily mean the consumption is being charged at the cheap rate.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure