Navmii Free Sat Nav App for iphone/ipad

Options

Comments

• tlck9
    tlck9 Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would imagine the main difference is "on board" sat nav, basically the maps are stored on your device, where with skobbler they are accessed online.

The advantage and its a big advantage where I live as signal is an issue, with skobbler when your in a rural area I lose the signal and lose the directions, this sounds like it will work without a 3g signal?

Although I stand to be corrected if others have used it already
  • Max_1066
    Max_1066 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    Very few sat navs are 100% reliable in my experience and its hard for them to keep up with road changes, etc. The 'old' way of using maps was little better unless you purchased new maps every so often - and they're a pain to use especially in town !!

Sat navs do have a tendency to send you down tiny roads (and tracks sometimes) so I also use the Google map facility to check whether there are other larger roads nearby.

I'll give this a go ....
  • citrate
    citrate Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    As mentioned Skobbler and Navfree both use Open Source maps but Navfree stores them on the device itself. This is good for two reasons:

1.) Doesn't require a signal to navigate
    2.) Doesn't use up your internet allowance

For the person that asked if this works (as a satnav) on iPod Touch the answer is no. There is no GPS chip in the Touch.
  • Sachin_Joshi
    Options
    tlck9 wrote: »
    I would imagine the main difference is "on board" sat nav, basically the maps are stored on your device, where with skobbler they are accessed online.

The advantage and its a big advantage where I live as signal is an issue, with skobbler when your in a rural area I lose the signal and lose the directions, this sounds like it will work without a 3g signal?

Although I stand to be corrected if others have used it already

Even with having the maps stored locally, you would still need a signal to identify your position (GPS) and to plot your route - so not sure how this would be of help in areas with weak signal.
  • PlasticMan_2
    Options
    Even with having the maps stored locally, you would still need a signal to identify your position (GPS) and to plot your route - so not sure how this would be of help in areas with weak signal.

Your GPS signal is completely separate from your mobile phone signal. GPS requires access to satellite signals by a clear line of sight to the sky. It will work through thin car windows, but if you're in a basement forget it. Mobile phone signals will work indoors but you need to be close enough to a cell site. So on a mountain in Wales you may have no mobile phone signal but your GPS should work fine.

Your GPS software may also require a mobile phone signal for either of the following reasons:
    a) To find the satellite signal more quickly (in seconds rather than minutes). This uses a tiny bit of data connection to find out which satellites to look for in a certain area and is called assisted GPS (AGPS). Most GPS enabled phones (including iPhones) have this.
    b) To download maps. This is what Google maps and Skrobbler do. It uses loads of data and means your map tool won't work properly unless you have a data connection (mobile phone signal). It saves space in your phone memory but is useless if you're lost and have no phone signal, even though you can get a GPS signal.

My advice? Get a Nokia. My 5800 was (and still is) under 200 quid - much much cheaper than an iPhone - and comes with free offline maps (no phone/data connection required) and turn by turn navigation of the whole world. Forever. Although the maps do take up space on the memory card, you only need download the maps for the countries you need.

I also use Google Maps with voice search, etc, on it from time to time. ANd the sport tracker app is really handy for sports GPS tracking.

Tim
  • m_burns
    Options
    I ended up going across a toll bridge I didn't even know existed.

You can change the settings so that you avoid toll roads. I've used this on a couple of trips and not had any problems. Automatically updates / re-routes if you take a wrong turn
  • BensonBunny
    Options
    I find the maps on Skobbler much more accurate than Navfree, it particularly seem to have a problem withsending you down footpaths. However as stated by others not needing a date connection is a big advantage at times. My understanding of Skobbler is that it needs data to map the route but won't try to downlode more date on-route unless you deviate from the planned route. I think if you are going for free sat nav having both apps seems sensible. If I used it more I would probably pay for Tomtom.
  • lansalot
    Options
    davester wrote: »
    Noone has mentioned the danger of sticking your ipad on your winscreen to use as a satnav, It would probably be illegal to do due to the loss of vision

I suppose it would be. If you had it stuck right in front of your nose. No different to the TomTom that sits in the bottom right-hand corner of my screen. Or the iphone (hey!) that sits in the bottom center.

Some common sense as to where you stick it - insert joke here - is all that's needed.
  • Discharged
    Options
    I have recently had my sat nav equipped company car rammed from careless drivers (twice in a month!!) and once again i'm stuck in hire car. I downloaded this app and to be honest it's a cracking product for free. I think it's a great tool for those who don't rely on sat nav as a daily work aid, I still think nothing works better than a Tom Tom or 'plumbed in' sat nav though.

I drove from Wigan up to Glentress Nr Peebles in Scottish Borders and it wanted me to come off the M74 sooner than multimap/google etc but I carried on to a different exit and it re-directed but all in all in coped really well. It never got lost, it never lost the GPS signal (even on the very remote roads between Moffat and Inerleithen) and the only criticism is it tells you to go straight ahead every time you reach an exit slip road on the motorway, which is annoying to say the least. Surely they should be telling you when to come off the motorway, not when not to stay on??

I ended up switching the voice prompts off after ten minutes. As with all iPhone apps, don't moan about them not working properly if you don't update your phone's software, it's imperative that you update your software regularly as the app providers are made to do in their agreement with Apple
  • wlcnetwork
    Options
    This is very sound advice for anyone not using a Nokia but, remember, Nokia offers a free-for-life SatNav on any compatible Nokia phone. I've been using this for the last couple of years and not only does it keep maps updated regularly, it also warns of speed [it calls them safety!] cameras. I find particularly useful the facility to plan and save a route on my desktop PC and then synchronise to my mobile. Beats Tomx2 every time and all for free!

Regards

Bill
    revpeachy wrote: »
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfree-uk-roi/id391334793?mt=8

NAVFREE The world's first FREE 'onboard' professional GPS navigation software, with turn-by-turn directions, voice guidance, auto-rerouting, live ‘Google’ Search, for the iPhone and iPad. The best GPS navigation software for the iPhone/iPad for FREE

Insert By Martin

If you've got an iPhone, simply download this free app which works as a sat nav.

We got MSE Darren our site designer to try this at the weekend, his view was "It works well as a sat nav, though some of the maps aren't 100% up to date. If you're doing a cross country trip it should get you there, but for accurate traversing of small road you may have some problems. Still if you don't have a sat nav, and don't need one, but would like one for back up - its a cracker for the price (ie free!)"

Also, it says on the iTunes app page for this that "[FONT=&quot]No data connection is required for downloading maps"[/FONT]

Thanks to Revpeachy for the great tip off.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport