Burglar Alarm Installation Prices

Options
I've been searching around trying to find a price guide before getting companies round to quote but it seems that burglar alarms are one of those clouded, closed shop products where companies don't like to give an idea until they assess the property/ meet you to work out how much they can screw out of you.

To help compile a rough guide for myself and others, if you've had an alarm fitted, please would you mind posting the following:

- Price paid
- Property Size
- Area of country
- Year installed
- On-going support costs if any
- Brief system overview (wired/wireless, no. sensors, etc)

Comments

• Myser
    Myser Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 May 2013 at 11:58PM
    Options
    Wired is always preferred over wireless wherever possible. The cost will vary significantly depending on the system, number of sensors and whether you want a monitored response service or just an auto-dialer which calls preset numbers.

The company will have to visit the property to assess the number of sensors required and the areas that needs protecting before providing a quote.
    If my post hasn't helped you, then don't click the 'Thanks' button! ;)
  • hamster2013
    hamster2013 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    i got my wireless 868mhz GSM alarm - 1 external siren - 1 internal siren - 3 movement detectors and 3 door detectors and 1 fire detector ...
    all for £250ish on fleabay
    it was decent built quality - installed like a charm
    and has been working fine....

I would always recommend an internal siren in addition to your external.... as the society we live in, not many people care if the alarm is going on in the property next door.... and the burgalar that is inside the property, once door shut, will not be much bothered by the noise caused by the outdoor siren, no matter how high pitched it is....
    but if there is a solid internal alarm.... his head will spin and will most likely not want to stay indoor for long enough to have a browse through your valuables.
  • billypob
    Options
    Myser wrote: »
    Wired is always preferred over wireless wherever possible. The cost will vary significantly depending on the system, number of sensors and whether you want a monitored response service or just an auto-dialer which calls preset numbers.

The company will have to visit the property to assess the number of sensors required and the areas that needs protecting before providing a quote.

there are lots of wireless systems on the market , I did some research and found that most installers recommend Visonic, just do a search on "Visonic installers manchester" , I used Rochdale Alarms, they have a good video on their website.

The visonic ones are also available on ebay if you are happy fitting yourself ;)
  • cherylsurrey
    cherylsurrey Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    I had a monitored alarm installed 2 years ago and I am based in Surrey
    I live in a 4 bed detached house. The cost was just under £1400 including VAT.

The alarm is monitored by a local security firm at the cost of £45+VAT a year to be on their service, and they charge a call out fee of about the same if they have to come out if the alarm goes off, they will then report a burglary to the police/board up broken windows, and alert us on our mobiles if anything happens when we are out.

The first yearly service was around £100+VAT, the 2nd was about double as they had to replace all the lithium batteries in the sensors (I have 6, the system is wireless. If the alarm is triggered they can also listen in to what's happening in the house, I can talk back to them if I need help. We were given 2 fobs which also have a panic button if we need help. So it is a top of the range system and worth every penny.
  • marcus19811981
    Options
    Another person posted "I've been searching around trying to find a price guide before getting companies round to quote but it seems that burglar alarms are one of those clouded, closed shop products where companies don't like to give an idea until they !!!"ess the property/ meet you to work out how much they can screw out of you"

I have been installing alarms for 12 years and own the company. The alarm company needs to attend your premises to carry out a risk assessment survey according to EU EN 50131. It' not to see how much they can screw you for. Its just them doing there job properly. They have to assess your needs and recommend a grade. Every house is different and it impossible to know over the phone what your house needs and give you a price.

Sadley many people look at the price rather than its specification and its grade. Just buying the cheapest system can be a mistake. Some are very cheap because they are the lowest grade and may have missing features. It will work without them but some of these missing features can lower the level of difficulty it will pose to a burglar trying to disable it. Look at the grade and specifications not the price.
  • marcus19811981
    marcus19811981 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 6 June 2013 at 6:41PM
    Options
    Hamster 2013 wrote "I would always recommend an internal siren in addition to your external.... as the society we live in, not many people care if the alarm is going on in the property next door.... and the burglar that is inside the property, once door shut, will not be much bothered by the noise caused by the outdoor siren, no matter how high pitched it is....
    but if there is a solid internal alarm.... his head will spin and will most likely not want to stay indoor for long enough to have a browse through your valuables.

The burglar will be very much concerned about the sounder going off outside. He has no idea whether a neigbour is calling the police or not and has no idea if the alarm is monitored. A noisy sounder inside has its purpose but usually the intruder not too bothered. What he's concerned about is who might be coming. People often say that alarms going off get ignored but the intruder cant be certain of that. He's not going to hang around to see if the police turn up.
  • cwcw
    cwcw Posts: 928 Forumite
    Options
    Hamster 2013 wrote "I would always recommend an internal siren in addition to your external.... as the society we live in, not many people care if the alarm is going on in the property next door.... and the burglar that is inside the property, once door shut, will not be much bothered by the noise caused by the outdoor siren, no matter how high pitched it is....

The burglar will be very much concerned about the sounder going off outside. He has no idea whether a neigbour is calling the police or not and has no idea if the alarm is monitored. A noisy sounder inside has its purpose but usually the intruder not too bothered. What he's concerned about is who might be coming. People often say that alarms going off get ignored but the intruder cant be certain of that. He's not going to hang around to see if the police turn up.

That's my view too. A lot of people say alarms are a waste of time and money, but at the end of the day, if I was a burglar I'd prefer homes without them. Also, even if burglars ignore alarms, they have the benefit of making sure they will hurry up and get on with it rather than taking more time to completely empty the place, and at night it gives you the chance to be alert and awake to defend yourself and your family, rather than being woken up by someone demanding your car keys. Worth a few hundred £ in my book.
  • jadmal61
    Options
    Has anyone any experience of a company called IDS who fit Intruder alarms please.
  • evoke
    evoke Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whole house (3-bed semi) alarm system was £1,000.

This includes:

1. PIR sensors for kitchen, lounge/diner, landing, front door, summerhouse (wireless), garage (special PIR to allow for slight boiler heat).

2. All wiring and commissioning.

3. Very good bell box front and rear with a good, bright blue strobe that's clearly visible at night to deter intruders (when the alarm is armed).

4. A control panel in the hallway.

Maintenance is £85 per year and they really do a very thorough job. They are on site for around an hour and check the condition of the backup batteries, control panel diagnostics and a complete walk test and alarm/strobe test.

Very happy with the system and the company. The maintenance contract includes a reduced call-out charge and 24/7 emergency cover. I've had to have a sensor lowered recently and the job was done with minimum fuss and the system thoroughly retested.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
  • evoke
    evoke Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would add that an engineer came out to survey the property to provide a quote and was at my property for over an hour to find the best locations and types of sensors for my alarm system.

They never carry details of the sensors with them in case their cars/computers are stolen. It's just those small touches that give me a lot of confidence in the system and the company.

Some time back the people putting up my loft insulation stuck a staple through one of the alarm wires in the loft which triggered a tamper alarm. The company spoke to me on the phone with how to disable the alarm temporarily and came out the same day to fix the problem for free.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport