IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Premier Park Ltd issued a PCN in Wareham

Options
Hello. I got a PCN after accidentally parking in a layby opposite Wareham Hospital. The road other than the layby is free to park in, and there is a free hospital car park. There are also areas which say "hospital staff only" etc, and there's the layby I parked in, which had a couple of other cars in it.

Turns out the layby was owned by Robert Christmas House and is resident's parking. Robert Christmas House is painted just like the hospital opposite and I thought it was part of the hospital. I received a PCN from Premier Park Ltd, and I appealed on the basis that I had no idea it was private land, there are no road markings, etc, but of course they rejected my appeal. I made my appeal before I found this forum and now realise I should have made my appeal more technical and less emotional. So now I'm putting together my POPLA appeal - having trawled this forum I have this for starters and would be very grateful for any recommendations to add/improve it...

1) Inadequate signage in vicinity – no contract with driver formed

The driver entered the road from the west. Entering the road from this direction, no signs are apparent drawing attention to any parking restriction. Along with the fact that multiple other cars were parked on the same road, the driver was lead to believe that the zone was unrestricted. To be clear, the driver neither saw any signs nor knew about any terms & conditions which governed the road where the alleged parking violation occurred.

On revisiting the location, it’s clear that the sign (which was fixed to the “Christmas Close” council road sign) is only visible if approaching Christmas Close from the east. There was no signage on the opposite side at all. Closer inspection of the sign attached to the Christmas Close road sign reveals that it does not contain any terms and conditions and hence even if the driver had seen this, a contract would not have been formed. To be relied on as having formed a contract, all terms and conditions must be readable, understood and agreed to by any driver (elderly, disabled, short sighted etc) on entering the area and in any lighting and all weather conditions. Upon further inspection of the area, a small sign with terms and conditions was observed fixed to Robert Christmas House. On this sign, the font outlining the contractual terms is approx 10mm high. To insist that such text is readable from the layby is ridiculous and unacceptable. Both signs are totally unlit, yet the claim is that the “terms and conditions apply at all times”. Furthermore, the terms are misleading and use words which attempt to dress up the charge as a 'contractual' fee, which it is not (see point 2 below).

No contract with the driver was formed. There was no agreement to pay. No consideration/acceptance flowed therefore no contract exists. Furthermore, if it was self-ticketing I require proof that the ticketer was trained in the BPA code of practice & an explanation of why no grace period was allowed. In such conditions the BPA code of practice does not allow ticketing.

[I will also submit photos of the area and the signs.]

2) The charge is for breach (not a contractual fee) and is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss but an unenforceable penalty.

Although certain wording on the sign attempts to claim that the sum sought is a contractual term, other wording on the sign contradicts this and shows the true nature is for breach, as the phrase ‘if you park on this land contravening the terms and conditions' indicates.

In addition, in their rejection of my appeal the Operator states that the PCN was “issued to your vehicle for a breach of the advertised terms and conditions’. It is, therefore, clear that the charge is for breaching the specific conditions stated. Parking for other drivers is NOT offered for a fee. It is not allowed. Clearly, permission to park ‘in breach’ is not granted, and so the parking charge cannot be a contractual price. Instead, it is clear that the charge is in fact a sum sought as damages, and therefore must be shown to be a genuine pre estimate of the loss which may be caused by the parking breach.

The charge demanded far exceeds any loss to the landowner. As it exceeds any loss, it becomes a penalty. The landowner would have received £0.00 from any vehicles parked as the layby is apparently for the use of permit holders only. Premier Park Ltd has not stated why it feels a £100 charge is an appropriate pre-estimate of its loss. For this charge to be justified a full breakdown of the costs Premier Park Ltd has suffered as a result of the car being parked in the layby is required and should add up to £100.

Normal expenditure the company incurs to carry on their business (e.g. provision of parking, parking enforcement or signage erection) should not be included in the breakdown, as these operational costs would have been suffered irrespective of the car being parked at that car park.

POPLA Assessor Matthew Shaw has stated that the entirety of the parking charge must be a genuine pre-estimate of loss in order to be enforceable. For example, were no breach to have occurred, then the cost of parking enforcement, such as erecting signage, would still have been the same. The estimate must be based upon loss flowing from a single breach of the parking terms, and in this instance there was no such loss.

3) Lack of Proprietary Interest & non-compliant Contract with Landowner

Premier Park Ltd’s lack of title or assigned interest in this land means they have no legal standing to allege trespass or loss, if that is the basis of their charge. Nor do they have the legal status at that site, which would give them any right to offer parking spaces on a contractual basis, as they are not the landowners and I have seen no evidence of a compliant contract with the landowner.

I do not believe that Premier Park Ltd has demonstrated a proprietary interest in the land, because they have no legal possession which would give Premier Park Ltd any right to offer parking spaces, let alone allege a contract with visitors of the lawful owner/occupiers.

I believe there is no contract with the landowner/occupier that entitles them to levy these charges and to pursue them in the courts in their own name as creditor. Therefore this Operator has no authority to issue parking charge notices (PCNs) which could be BPA Code of Practice compliant.

There is no contract with the landowner/occupier that entitles them to levy these charges and therefore no authority to issue parking charge notices (PCNs). This being the case, the burden of proof shifts to Premier Park Ltd which must prove that it is not in breach of section 7.1 of the BPA code. I, therefore, put Premier Park Ltd to strict proof of the contract terms with the site landowner (not an individual lessee or managing agent as they are another third party). A site agreement/witness statement saying they 'can issue Parking Charge Notices' will not suffice; this is not the issue. The whole unredacted contract is required to show what is authorised by way of charges and whether only for breach - and whether Premier Park Ltd have the assignment of title or standing needed to pursue the matter in the courts in their own name.

4) Non compliant Notice to Keeper - no keeper liability established under POFA 2012
On the NTK, the 'period of parking' is not shown, only the time of issue of an alleged PCN. The wording makes this a non-compliant NTK under the POFA 2012, Schedule 4, para 8 of which states:

(1) A notice which is to be relied on as a notice to keeper … is given in accordance with this paragraph if the following requirements are met.
(2) The notice must—
specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates.

The NTK is a nullity so no keeper liability exists.

Very many thanks for your time and for any help or advice.

Comments

• DignifiedWheat
    Options
    Just to add I can upload photos of the area, the signs, and scans of the original PCN, my appeal to Premier Park Ltd and their rejection of my appeal if it will help.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,328 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to add I can upload photos of the area, the signs, and scans of the original PCN, my appeal to Premier Park Ltd and their rejection of my appeal if it will help.

Newbies can't post links or pics so the best thing to do is upload them to a web hosting site such as tinypic or photobucket then post the URL here but change http to hxxp. Someone here will change this so everyone can see them.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,341 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That's a good draft POPLA appeal but you can't have this point below, if you've already admitted you were driving, you've lost that appeal point altogether:
    Non compliant Notice to Keeper - no keeper liability established under POFA 2012

Did Premier Park post the PCN or put it on the windscreen? They have 'form' for some Norris Cole type, taking sneaky photos on any old camera then they post out a hybrid Notice.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • DignifiedWheat
    DignifiedWheat Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2015 at 3:53PM
    Options
    OK, my photos are here:

hxxps://plus.google.com/+SimonLangford/posts/Y138mZWWmZG

My car was parked roughly where the postman's van is. Notice that there is only one "marked bay"!! Not a very useful car park then!

Coupon-mad, you're right of course, but I specifically didn't acknowledge who the driver was in my appeal to the PPC. I used the third person throughout (e.g. "my driver didn't notice any signs as he entered the layby"). I also said "I have no intention of paying your invoice and your invitation for me to identify the driver is politely declined". And to answer your other question, the PCN was sent in the post - nothing on the windscreen. According to the locals, there's a little man who sits in his van and pops out to snap photos of cars which park in the honeytrap. You can see 2 photos on the PCN they posted to me - they look to be handheld photos.

I've seen other people's POPLA appeals claiming that an amount of VAT should be shown on the PCN, is this worth adding to my appeal? I don't know whether it makes any difference.

Also, how about adding this: "As an additional aside to my above points, I am aware that I have the right to see the evidence provided by Premier Park to POPLA, along with the right to respond and rebut that evidence. I have also been made aware that on a number of occasions, this information has not been received by appellants. I would request that the assessor attempts to ensure that I receive the evidence in a timescale sufficient for me to fully review and respond to it."
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    I specifically didn't acknowledge who the driver was in my appeal to the PPC. I used the third person throughout (e.g. "my driver didn't notice any signs as he entered the layby").
    Good! Was the Notice received by day 15? Also Schedule 4, para 8 isn't right for a postal ticket. Compare the Notice to paragraph 9 instead.
  • DignifiedWheat
    Options
    Haha, yes "my driver blah blah" made me sound like Lady Penelope with her chauffeur "Parker", made me laugh. The PCN was received within a week unfortunately so I can't challenge on that point.

Thanks very much for clarification re paras 8 and 9 of POFA, I have re-written my point 4 as follows:

4) Non compliant Notice to Keeper - no keeper liability established under POFA 2012
    The registered keeper of the vehicle can only be held liable for the parking charge if the relevant provisions of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 have been satisfied. Schedule 4 para 9(2)(a) of the Act states that the notice to keeper must “specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates”. Schedule 4 para 9(2)(e) of the Act states that the notice to keeper must “state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver”. Schedule 4 para 9(2)(h) of the Act states that the notice to keeper must “identify the creditor”.

Premier Park Ltd has not complied with paragraph 9(2)(a) as it has not specified the period of parking to which the Notice to Keeper relates, it has merely shown the the time of issue of a PCN. Premier Park Ltd has not complied with paragraph 9(2)(e) as it has not stated that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver. Premier Park Ltd has not complied with paragraph 9(2)(h) as it has not identified the creditor.

The Notice to Keeper is non-compliant under the POFA 2012. The requirements for pursuing the keeper for the charge have not been satisfied and therefore no keeper liability exists.
  • Ryan_Bryan
    Ryan_Bryan Posts: 265 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2015 at 6:14PM
    Options
    DW. You are very lucky that Coupon Mad is already on the case. She is one of this sites best. On recent form Premier don't contest a robust defence at POPLA any more but take no chances. GPEOL and no locus standi are their weak points. Add to your appeal the fact that Premier have form for not sending their so-called evidence to the appellant and you have the right to view it and rebut any claims they make.

Sorry. I see you've already mentioned the missing in action evidence.
  • DignifiedWheat
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help so far. I've added quite a lot more now ... please tell me if this is going in the right direction or whether it's getting too bloated:
    Dear POPLA Assessor,
    RE Verification Code: xxxxxxxxxxxx

I am the registered keeper of vehicle ABC 1234 and wish to appeal on the following grounds:

1. Inadequate signage in vicinity – no contract with driver formed
    2. The charge is for breach (not a contractual fee) and is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss but an unenforceable penalty.
    3. Lack of proprietary interest and non-compliant contract with landowner
    4. Operator not properly trained and PCN not issued in line with BPA code of practice
    5. Non compliant Notice to Keeper – no keeper liability established under POFA 2012
    6. The charge is unreasonable and unfair

1. Inadequate signage in vicinity – no contract with driver formed
    The driver turned into Christmas Close from the west. Entering the road from this direction, no signs are apparent drawing attention to any parking restriction and there are no road markings at all where the vehicle was parked. Along with the fact that multiple other cars were parked on the same road, the driver was led to believe that the zone was unrestricted. To be clear, the driver neither saw any signs nor knew about any terms & conditions which governed the layby where the vehicle was parked.

On revisiting the location, it’s clear that the sign (which was fixed to the “Christmas Close” council road sign) was only visible if approaching Christmas Close from the east. There was no visible signage on the opposite side at all. Closer inspection of the sign attached to the Christmas Close road sign revealed that it does not contain any terms and conditions and hence even if the driver had seen this, a contract would not have been formed. To be relied on as having formed a contract, all terms and conditions must be readable, understood and agreed to by any driver (elderly, disabled, short sighted etc) on entering the area and in any lighting and all weather conditions. Upon further inspection of the area, a small sign with terms and conditions was observed fixed to Robert Christmas House. On this sign, the font outlining the contractual terms is less than 10mm high. To insist that such text is readable from the layby is ridiculous and unacceptable. Both signs are unlit, yet the sign fixed to the house claims that the “terms and conditions apply at all times”. Furthermore, the terms are misleading and use words which attempt to dress up the charge as a contractual' fee, which it is not (see point 2 below).

No contract with the driver was formed. There was no agreement to pay. No consideration/acceptance flowed therefore no contract exists.

2. The charge is for breach (not a contractual fee) and is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss but an unenforceable penalty.
    Although certain wording on the sign attempts to claim that the sum sought is a contractual term, other wording on the sign contradicts this and shows the true nature is for breach, as indicated by the phrase ‘if you park on this land contravening the terms and conditions'.

In their rejection of my appeal Premier Park Ltd state that the PCN was “issued to your vehicle for a breach of the advertised terms and conditions’. It is, therefore, clear that the charge is for breaching specific stated conditions. Parking for non-resident drivers is not offered for a fee because it is not allowed. Clearly, permission to park ‘in breach’ is not granted, and so the parking charge cannot be a contractual price. Instead, it is clear that the charge is in fact a sum sought as damages, and therefore must be shown to be a genuine pre estimate of the loss which may be caused by the parking breach.

The charge demanded far exceeds any loss to the landowner. As it exceeds any loss, it becomes a penalty. Premier Park Ltd has not stated why it feels a £100 charge is an appropriate pre-estimate of its loss. For this charge to be justified a full breakdown of the costs Premier Park Ltd has suffered as a result of the car being parked in the layby is required and should add up to £100. Normal expenditure the company incurs to carry on their business (e.g. provision of parking, parking enforcement or signage erection) should not be included in the breakdown, as these operational costs would have been suffered irrespective of the car being parked in the layby.

POPLA Assessor Matthew Shaw has stated that the entirety of the parking charge must be a genuine pre-estimate of loss in order to be enforceable. For example, were no breach to have occurred, then the cost of parking enforcement, such as erecting signage, would still have been the same. The estimate must be based upon loss flowing from a single breach of the parking terms, and in this instance there was no such loss.

3. Lack of proprietary Interest & non-compliant contract with landowner
    Premier Park Ltd’s lack of title or assigned interest in this land means they have no legal standing to allege trespass or loss, if that is the basis of their charge. Nor do they have the legal status at that site, which would give them any right to offer parking spaces on a contractual basis, as they are not the landowners and I have seen no evidence of a compliant contract with the landowner.

I do not believe that Premier Park Ltd has demonstrated a proprietary interest in the land, because they have no legal possession which would give Premier Park Ltd any right to offer parking spaces, let alone allege a contract with visitors of the lawful owner/occupiers.

I believe there is no contract with the landowner/occupier that entitles them to levy these charges and to pursue them in the courts in their own name as creditor. Therefore this Operator has no authority to issue parking charge notices (PCNs) which could be BPA Code of Practice compliant.

There is no contract with the landowner/occupier that entitles them to levy these charges and therefore no authority to issue parking charge notices (PCNs). This being the case, the burden of proof shifts to Premier Park Ltd which must prove that it is not in breach of section 7.1 of the BPA code. I, therefore, put Premier Park Ltd to strict proof of the contract terms with the site landowner (not an individual lessee or managing agent as they are another third party). A site agreement/witness statement saying they 'can issue Parking Charge Notices' will not suffice; this is not the issue. The whole unredacted contract is required to show what is authorised by way of charges and whether only for breach - and whether Premier Park Ltd have the assignment of title or standing needed to pursue the matter in the courts in their own name.

4. Operator not trained and PCN not issued in line with BPA code of practice
    The BPA Approved Operator Scheme Code of Practice for control and enforcement of parking on private land states that Premier Park Ltd must “allow the driver a reasonable ‘grace period’ in which to decide if they are going to stay or go. If the driver is on your land without permission you should still allow them a grace period to read your signs and leave before you take enforcement action”. In this case, Wareham Hospital IT systems show that the vehicle arrived at 9.28am. The PCN was issued at 9.29am, i.e. just 1 minute after the vehicle arrived. Even if the driver had noticed signs and been aware of parking restrictions, it is clear that 1 minute is not long enough to make a decision about whether to stay or go.

If it was self-ticketing as defined by para 15.2 of the BPA code of practice, I contend that the ticketer was not trained in the BPA code of practice and put Premier Park Ltd to strict proof to show otherwise. The code requires that Premier Park Ltd must provide the landowner with “an up-to date copy of the Code and get their signed confirmation that they have read the Code and agree to keep to it”. Regardless of whether or not self-ticketing was involved, I require an explanation from Premier Park Ltd as to why no grace period was allowed as mandated by clause 13 of the BPA code of practice.

5. Non compliant Notice to Keeper - no keeper liability established under POFA 2012
    The registered keeper of the vehicle can only be held liable for the parking charge if the relevant provisions of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 have been satisfied. Schedule 4 para 9(2)(a) of the Act states that the notice to keeper must “specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates”. Schedule 4 para 9(2)(e) of the Act states that the notice to keeper must “state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver”. Schedule 4 para 9(2)(h) of the Act states that the notice to keeper must “identify the creditor”.

Premier Park Ltd has not complied with paragraph 9(2)(a) as it has not specified the period of parking to which the Notice to Keeper relates, it has merely shown the the time of issue of a PCN. Premier Park Ltd has not complied with paragraph 9(2)(e) as it has not stated that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver. Premier Park Ltd has not complied with paragraph 9(2)(h) as it has not identified the creditor.

The Notice to Keeper is non-compliant under the POFA 2012. The requirements for pursuing the keeper for the charge have not been satisfied and therefore no keeper liability exists.

6. The charge is unreasonable and unfair
    The amount of £100 demanded by Premier Park has not been individually negotiated and is disproportionately high. Therefore it falls under the definition of an unfair term as defined in The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. The Regulations state that terms are unfair if they have the object or effect of “requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation” and that unfair terms shall not be binding on the consumer.

The charge that has been levied is also an unreasonable indemnity clause as defined in the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, which states that “A person dealing as consumer cannot by reference to any contract term be made to indemnify another person (whether a party to the contract or not) in respect of liability that may be incurred by the other for negligence or breach of contract, except in so far as the contract term satisfies the requirement of reasonableness”

I contend that it is unreasonable to attempt to profit by charging a disproportionate sum where no loss has occurred. I require Premier Park to justify that their charge, under the circumstances outlined and with their insufficient signage in mind, does not cause a significant imbalance to my detriment and does not breach the two acts quoted above.

For the 6 numbered reasons outlined above, I request that my appeal is upheld and the charge is cancelled.

As an additional aside to my above points, I am aware that I have the right to see the evidence provided by Premier Park to POPLA, along with the right to respond and rebut that evidence. I have also been made aware that, on a number of occasions, this information has not been received by appellants. I would request that the assessor attempts to ensure that I receive the evidence in a timescale sufficient for me to fully review and respond to it.
  • DignifiedWheat
    Options
    Any comments from anyone?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Looking good! Be ready for them to send an 'evidence pack' email of rubbish, to you and POPLA to contest it. They did in a case I'm doing so I rebutted it to POPLA by email to get the last word, still waiting for POPLA's decision on it but I'm confident of winning and yours looks similar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure