Storage heaters HELP!!!!

Options
Hi all!!! I'm looking for some advice on storage heaters! I moved into my flat 6 months ago (rented) I have a storage heater so obviously I have an economy 7 tariff, my energy bills have been so up and down since I moved in and I can't seem to work it all out. I've researched online about these storage heaters but mine is so dated it's not listed online. I seem to have 2 switches on the wall next to the heater.... from the research I've done I've worked out one is for the actual heater and one is for the convection part if I'm right? Am I right in thinking the convection switch should only be on at night?
Now I have the issue of which switch is for which part? 1 switch has a fuse in it and the other just has the wire attached to the heater. I'm trying desperately to work it out to save myself some pennies as my last energy bill was £96 in a studio flat!!!!! As you can tell I nearly choked when I read it so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I seem to have 2 switches on the wall next to the heater.... from the research I've done I've worked out one is for the actual heater and one is for the convection part if I'm right? Am I right in thinking the convection switch should only be on at night?
    We'll have to take your word for this since without seeing the heater, or knowing the make/model, how can we confirm what each switch does?

But probably, one switch turns on the strorage heater, so that it heats up at night (on a timer basis), stores the heat, and then releases it (probably at a speed according to other controls).

The other switch probably turns on the convector heater, giving you instant heat irresective of the time of day or night. This is usually intended as a means to 'top up' if the storage heater is not providing enough heat, or to use in, say, summer when you have the storage heater off.

I imagine if you use the convector during the day/evening, it will eat high-cost electricity. If you use it after midnight (or whenever your cheap electricity starts), it will use cheap rate electricity.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £96 for how long?
    Month? Week? Quarter?

What make/model of heater?
    Maybe post a photo?
    Upload it to
    https://postimage.io/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors