Free bus and rail travel for the oldies from next April ??

Options

Comments

• feijoa
    feijoa Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the link

Quoting from this link..."Concessionary travel is a devolved policy area. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland already operate their own schemes. The Concessionary Bus Travel Act 2007 includes a power to allow, via regulations in the future, for mutual recognition of concessionary bus passes across the UK, and the Government had initial discussions with the devolved administrations about the inclusion of this power last year."

Just how far "in the future" might it be before the regulations for mutual recognition are implemented? Hope I won't have popped my clogs before i get the chance to travel free across the length and breadth of Britain!
    if i had known then what i know now
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    I have an existing bus pass for local area only. When do I have to apply for this new national one ? Don't want to miss out on it. I'm on Lincolnshire and most of my family are miles away..........would mean I'd get to see them more often.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mary43 wrote: »
    I have an existing bus pass for local area only. When do I have to apply for this new national one ? Don't want to miss out on it. I'm on Lincolnshire and most of my family are miles away..........would mean I'd get to see them more often.

Please be aware that though this is a national scheme it is for local bus services.

That means that if you went to visit your family members you would get free bus travel in their local area as well as your own.

Depending on how far away they lived, you might be able to travel on a series of local buses. The national scheme does not cover longer distance bus or coach services. I have thought it would be an absorbing hobby to plan trips round the country using only local services! It might involve some long waits for linking services here and there!
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    "Smart card ITSO will also allow spooks and any Government agency to track all your travel, do you really want this? What price freedom?"

I have this vision of MI5 following bunches of OAPs round the country.
  • fas3robinj
    Options
    The council web site for Notts says we need to do nothing. New passes will be issued automatically to existing concession card holders in April.

So no need to apply(at least in Notts).

Can't see any mention of Train travel though :confused:
  • mary43
    Options
    My usual trip to see my eldest son and grandchildren means I catch the National Express coach from where I live, get off at Peterborough then catch the local Northants service -I get concessions on Nat.Express at the moment - £6.50 return so I can't complain at that and it''s only £10 return the rest of the journey. But if I can get it free............well every little helps. But I wonder if this new bus pass will cover things like Nat.Express.
    Mary

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    mary43, National Express & similar long distance coaches & trains are excluded, as previous posters stated, it is LOCAL bus travel only, so if you can do it you could get local buses all the way to London say, but it would take a while & a lot of planning & bus changes
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • mary43
    Options
    I did think about that but the journey would take far too long. As I get concessions on the National Express coach it's not really that much of a probllem but interesting to know for sure. Thanks.
    Mary

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sooner or later, I'm sure they will have to publish something that is not misleading. When the "free for all pensioners throughout the UK" was announced in the budget a couple of years ago. Many people thought that that was exactly what it was going to be.

In a way, with their carefully chosen words, that's what it is.

Whichever bus company cover YOUR area, you will be able to travel free, but on the perimeter, you have to change bus companies to the area you've arrived at, then you cross THEIR area. This is a sort of stepping -stone procedure to travel across country.

It has been reported the we will not be able to use National Express for free on long journeys, but what about Stagecoach or Buzz.com?.

I suppose it could be said we were mislead into thinking that we would be able to travel from coast to coast free.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    islandman wrote: »
    It has been reported the we will not be able to use National Express for free on long journeys, but what about Stagecoach or Buzz.com?.

I suppose it could be said we were mislead into thinking that we would be able to travel from coast to coast free.

I believe the bus companies' licences will indicate whether they are operating local services or national or a mixture.

I don't think we have been misled.
    Officially, on 22 March 2006 -
    "People over 60 and disabled people will soon be able to travel for free on any local bus across England thanks to additional funding announced by the Chancellor Gordon Brown today."
    "From April 2008, over 11 million older and disabled people in England will now be able to take advantage of free off-peak bus travel in every area of the country.
    "Whether using the bus locally, or when visiting other parts of the country, today's announcement means older and disabled people can travel for free. More freedom and more choice for millions of people."

Note: it does not say travelling to other parts of the country.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure