MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Lucky Luke give back his hardship grant?

Options

Comments

• rugbymum
    Options
    No, he shouldn't pay it back - but he certainly shouldn't be eligible for any further emergency loans. Most students in 'horrible debt' would end up blowing the money on a PS3 and lots of shandy on nights out.

I assume you have lots of recent experience to base that judgement on?
    My son, his girlfriend & flatmates of both are all working stupidly hard to get the best first year results the can. Yes they go out, don't you? Or does being a student automatically negate their right to a social life?
    My son had to apply for a bursary, he wouldn't be able to get through the year without it, and he is using this site to ensure that he [EMAIL="DOESN@T"]DOESN'T[/EMAIL] have to apply for a hardship grant.
    YES Luke SHOULD pay it back. Universities DO NOT have unlimited resources and there will always be someone who needs the cash.
    LBM:FEB 2008
    MEMBER ABC 2010
  • girltuesday_2
    Options
    most universities have "unlimited" resources for hardship grants

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning! I work for a university, and I can assure you that not only do we not have 'unlimited funds' for ANYTHING, in most areas we have INSUFFICIENT funds!
  • Likisma_Angel
    Options
    No he shouldn't pay it back, but I would hope he would use it wisely. I've always been a bit naive like that!
  • katesu
    katesu Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, have to stick my oar in here! I am an Access to Learning Fund assessor at a major university and this academic year HEFCE (Higher Education Funding Council for England) have given us considerably less money this year to award to students in hardship therefore I can assure you that funds are not "unlimited"!!! We have had exactly half the number of applications in the last 3 weeks than we had in the whole of the 2007-08 academic year and I am seriously concerned that funds will be depleted by Christmas. Therefore, IMO, if Luke didn't pay it back, he could potentially be depriving 2, 3 or maybe more students of a (lesser) award in the long run.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    He should say nothing but give thanks for this stroke of luck. Having said that, he will probably end up broke or in debt anyway and just as ignorant about the ways of the world as he was before attending "university"
  • Reformed
    Options
    I think he should give it back

When I was at uni I worked 25- 40 hours a week, never applied for a hardship loan got no financial help that I wanted and whilst I will accept I frittered away a fair amount of study time I didn't get the mark I really wanted and I think working such long hours contributed in some way. There were others who got allowance each week from their parents, their rent paid and their student loan who applied by opening two bank accounts. They thought they'd played the system and lets face it they never had to pay it back so they won whereas I still have my student loan to pay off!

It would be morally wrong to keep the money.
  • rugbymum wrote: »
    I assume you have lots of recent experience to base that judgement on?
    My son, his girlfriend & flatmates of both are all working stupidly hard to get the best first year results the can. Yes they go out, don't you? Or does being a student automatically negate their right to a social life?
    My son had to apply for a bursary, he wouldn't be able to get through the year without it, and he is using this site to ensure that he DOESN'T have to apply for a hardship grant.
    YES Luke SHOULD pay it back. Universities DO NOT have unlimited resources and there will always be someone who needs the cash.
    I'm basing it around 3 people I knew at university who received emergency grants towards the end of their 3 years.. this was to pay for unpaid rent. They blew all their money on fancy toys and the halls of residence just canceled their rent debts because they couldn't pay.

People forget that a lot of 18-21 year olds are very immature for their age. They are highly influenced by others and get in debt through careless spending, rather than true hardship

No, i don't believe that a night out is a right. If I can't afford to go out, i don't go out - I could easily put it on a credit card, but if I can't afford it - i stay in.
  • andysuth
    Options
    He should not be spending his money on the scratch cards if he is really hard up. He should give back his hardship grant, and petition parliament to re introduce student grants for the top 5% of universities and courses.

GET RID OF THE RUBBISH COURSES AND THERE WOULD BE MORE MONEY FOR PROPER EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS.

(it needs to be said, but no one says it).
  • Universities abosolutely DO NOT have unlimited hardship funds, my institution runs out of money almost every year, it was only February when we ran out last year.
  • The_Grim_Reaper
    Options
    Yes - I think he should, but I also think he won't - simply because that reflects today's society.
    most universities have "unlimited" resources for hardship grants
    if this were the the case, they could pay themselfs a little of this fund to help them in other resource strapped areas
    :rotfl:
    :think: Share prices can go down and down and down, as well as down
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family