NISA with 6% variable rate?

Options
Hi,

So recently I was approached by a company that offer a 5% variable rate on an ISA. They currently manage XXX millions and have been able to achieve 5% returns each year for clients. The money is all safe if I do chose to invest and the company is FCA regulated.

Anything above or at 3% looks to be better than anything offered by anyone in the current market. Do you think this is a good place to keep my money?

Thanks for the advice.

(Note: I'm not allowed to post the companies name)

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it was such a fabulous deal, why would they need to approach potential investors and why would it all need to be kept secret? Ask yourself why they'd be able to offer returns way out of step with the rest of the market.

Then run and don't look back....
  • Kingsta93
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    If it was such a fabulous deal, why would they need to approach potential investors and why would it all need to be kept secret? Ask yourself why they'd be able to offer returns way out of step with the rest of the market.

Then run and don't look back....

Judging from your reaction, this is probably the best return on an ISA the market has to offer and hence why you're sceptical which is understandable.

Also it's not being kept secret, the company hasn't publicly announced it is entering the ISA market and therefore i've decided not to release the name.

Thank you for the response though, good advice.

Also the fact that the client's capital is insured against losses seems like a great bonus
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kingsta93 wrote: »
    Also the fact that the client's capital is insured against losses seems like a great bonus

Insured by whom? How? Have you seen the insurance documents?

The only reliable "insurance" for savings and investments is via the FSCS.

So recently I was approached by a company that offer a 5% variable rate on an ISA.
    Trustworthy savings and investment companies don't approach individual investors.

Without knowing the construct of this offer, it is difficult to comment further but it sounds as if it might be one of those savings plans that are put together by Marketing departments and that appeal to people who will not, or cannot, understand the pitfalls of the offer.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    (Note: I'm not allowed to post the companies name)
    therefore i've decided not to release the name.

That's funny.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Judging from your reaction, this is probably the best return on an ISA the market has to offer and hence why you're sceptical which is understandable.

Also it's not being kept secret, the company hasn't publicly announced it is entering the ISA market and therefore i've decided not to release the name

No, they don't want you to release the name in case anyone can Google it and find out they're not what they say.

There is no way any genuine UK company is offering a fscs protected savings account at the moment and approaches you in secret to offer it.

There are plenty of better returns you can get but they involve some risk. As does this one but the risk is way higher than you seem to think with a big chance of losing all your money.

Happy to be proved wrong but nothing you've said so far would indicate it's genuine.

PS

FCA regulated is not the same as fscs protected
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP - if you still think this is a good idea, at least Google the company yourself to find out their reputation (from multiple reputable sources).

And if you go ahead, play with money you can afford to lose, because the capital protection insurance sounds even fishier to me than the promised returns...as jimjames says, high returns are achievable in many places, but risk is the usual trade off.
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's not so good since I've been offered one with 9%, fixed for three years. I'm also going to keep the name secret.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    9%?
    You're being cheated.
    I've been offered 15% compounded for 17 years, guaranteed by the government AND insured by HMRC!
    I would post a link but Al Qaeda would be able to track me down if I did. Sorry.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Also it's not being kept secret, the company hasn't publicly announced it is entering the ISA market and therefore i've decided not to release the name.

Thank you for the response though, good advice.

In some ways I really hope you are posting as a stooge for the company that is offering this product and aren't someone seriously considering it.

If you are genuinely posting then it just confirms any fears I have about the pension freedoms that come into effect next year and how likely it is that scammers will get their hands on a fair chunk of that money from ripping off consumers with such "guaranteed" products.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 December 2014 at 11:16AM
    Options
    sorry to burst your bubble.

sounds like a con to me.

cons work best when things aint great.

best isa's are languishing around 2%. which is rubbish!

a big clue is that they approached you!

con men (and women) usually approach you!

its just has con written all over it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport