Level Term Life Insurance Guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It may be an idea to come out of this discussion thread and open a thread of your own so you get more focused help.

Ask about income protection which seems more relevant to you than critical illness cover.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Amontylado
    Options
    Thank you - I'll try reading up on it a bit more first, then I might be able to ask a sensible question!
    Many thanks for the suggestion.
  • thebigbosh
    Options
    This may have been answered previously but quite a few pages here and it's not mentioned in the main article.

We took out decreasing mortgage assurance cover 2 years ago when we bought our first house. Now remortgaging, and looking to drop the term to 21 years. Is it worth re-doing the life assurance too?
    Cheers
    School is important, but Rugby is importanter.
  • Chris_Pollard
    Options
    TBB...the only answer is "it might be worth it". If you're still in the same health, and the cover is less, and the term shorter, you might save some money with a new policy. Make sure you match the premium basis, for example, if your existing policy guarantees your premiums for the whole term, match this on any new quote you get. Most importantly, if you do take a new plan, DON'T cancel the existing cover until the new insurance is in place.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am so glad this thread is still alive.

I need to sort out some life insurance (?assurance). Basically something held in trust that can help to dig my estate out of probate / cover the IHT when the time comes. I'm no longer covered by a work policy, any recommendations on where to start and what to avoid?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Ellemick
    Options
    Hi all
    In 1999 my husband & I took out Level term Assurance with Critical Illness ( 25 years) with Legal & General, (encouraged to do so by a mortgage shop when arranging our first mortgage). I was wondering what the conversion option actually means?
    It states:
    “You may convert this policy to a savings, endowment or whole life plan without further medical information at any time up to the age of sixty”.

Hate the idea of losing all we've paid in, so would converting be a good option? What should we convert it to?
    Advice really appreciated
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In 1999 my husband & I took out Level term Assurance with Critical Illness ( 25 years) with Legal & General, (encouraged to do so by a mortgage shop when arranging our first mortgage). I was wondering what the conversion option actually means?

it allows conversion to another type of policy without requiring new underwriting.
    Hate the idea of losing all we've paid in, so would converting be a good option?

The last mainstream provider of endowments pulled out in 2004. It is an obsolete option. Endowments would cost around 10 times what you paying (if it was still available)

Don't hate the idea of losing what you have paid. It means you are still alive.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • PendleJ
    Options
    I have had £80,000 life & critical life insurance for 8 + years and pay £35 month.

I have recently taken an a new mortgage and need to increase my life insurance to £280,000 and I'm almost 50 years old.

I've looked at taking out life cover only for £200,000 and keeping my life and critical, but best quote I've had is £38 per month. this means i'm paying out £73 month in life insurance, which I cant afford.

I'm considering canceling the life & critical, and just taking life only on £280,000, but Its a huge lottery, and the life/critical would pay out if I got a critical illness that forced me to be off work for a long period of time.

feedback would be beneficial in assisting me making a decision.

thank you
  • Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What's more important to you, having the mortgage repaid if you die or having the money to keep up the mortgage payments for a few years if you don't die but are seriously ill?

Answer that question and the decision is pretty much made for you.
  • sue23
    sue23 Posts: 141 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2017 at 3:18PM
    Options
    hello everyone,
    Me and My partner are in our 30's and looking to take out life insurance but confused whether to choose the whole of life insurance option or the level term. Would it be cheaper if we took out 55 years on level term assuming we will covered till we are 85 years old or for long periods like this should we rather take whole life insurance policies.Do people even take level term insurance for such long periods of time i.e 55 years ?
    Just to add we don't have commitments interms of mortgage as we own the house but have kids and looking to take life insurance , as a bit of safetynet.
    And the only reason for taking it till we are 85 is so we have more chances of the policy paying out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback