First time car hire in Italy - how can you reduce desposit??

Options
2»

Comments

• silverwhistle
    Options
    Just a more general point: Italian car hire is pretty expensive. So is insurance over there: moved back from Italy last year and comprehensive insurance here is about a third the cost of third party over there..
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Booking direct with Europcar, your price would include:

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) (Excess to GBP 733.50)
    Theft Waiver (THW) (Excess to GBP 1385.50)
    Premium Station Surcharge
    Vehicle Licensing Fee & Road Tax
    VAT included

So to reduce the Excess, you would need:

image.jpg
  • alstemp
    alstemp Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Nifty. OK this this is the plan I will be booking shortly with Europcar. Basic cost £205 and then deposit payable at airport £453. This cost is based on standard excesses applicable and not paying extra to reduce the excess cost to zero.

my new question is this - should I use their insurance plan to reduce the cost to zero (additional £120) or is it cheaper to buy a plan independently? If so, what am I looking for to buy independently so I know what to buy.

Thanks!
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buy your own insurance. We were about £30 for a year and all the hire companies we used stopped the sales talk regarding extra insurance when we showed them the policy.
  • alstemp
    alstemp Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 August 2014 at 10:01AM
    Options
    thanks for quick response! What is the type of insurance I am looking to buy and do you have any seller recommendations? I'm a first timer on this and need to know exactly the name of the policy type I am looking for so I get the correct one. I will then do a basic package with Europcar and get additional insurance independently as you recommended. Thanks!

UPDATE - i booked the basic package only with Euroopcar and also purchased independent excess insurance with insurance4carhire.com for £39.99. Europcar have assured me that the deposit payable at the airport will be no more than £453. Hopefully that's it now, all sorted and the pick up and drop off will be smooth sailing . . .
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    alstemp wrote: »
    Hi Nifty. OK this this is the plan I will be booking shortly with Europcar. Basic cost £205 and then deposit payable at airport £453. This cost is based on standard excesses applicable and not paying extra to reduce the excess cost to zero.

my new question is this - should I use their insurance plan to reduce the cost to zero (additional £120) or is it cheaper to buy a plan independently? If so, what am I looking for to buy independently so I know what to buy.

Thanks!

I cannot find the pricing to which you refer. Is this with Europcar direct? Post a link to the website that you are using.
    Either way, it's done and you appear to have it under control. :)
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good luck have had a nightmare few days dealing with europcar after they'd decided to go home when flight was delayed.
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • footslogger
    Options
    alstemp wrote: »
    Thanks iandc - this whole car hire thing is a minefield!! It seems like you are at the mercy of the local supplier once you have given them your credit card details. I think I am going to do the Europcar deal, zero excess package and take out additional excess protection insurance independently.

to be honest there doesn't seem to be any car hire company who doesn't have a bad review! It's all so precarious - especially your first time. You so don't want to get your fingers burned!!

Hi folks, I'm a newbie with 1 or 2 postings. I'm in the same situation
    (see my previous post). Many thanks for help.
  • Tjm9110
    Options
    We are in same boat....booking for car hire with avis in italy....is it right that if we take their excess £0 policy. ..The only deposit we will pay is fuel deposit??? Don't want to get stung at the desk!! Really appreciate help thanks
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tjm9110 wrote: »
    We are in same boat....booking for car hire with avis in italy....is it right that if we take their excess £0 policy. ..The only deposit we will pay is fuel deposit??? Don't want to get stung at the desk!! Really appreciate help thanks
    It sounds right.... if you buy the extra zero excess policy from Avis there is no deposit needed for the excess....and there is nothing else that they need to sting you for....
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport