PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Sunday 8th October 2017

Options
O/S Daily Saturday 7 October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone

Yesterday was spent doing not a lot. Mainly reading and watching a couple of tv programmes I had recorded and scd.

I had thought of going for a short walk yesterday afternoon and then it suddenly started to pour with rain and turn really windy, so I gave up on that idea.

The f/f is due to be delivered sometime today between 7.00am and 7.00pm, so I won’t be doing much today. So I’ve been up since 6.30am. Just my luck that it was the one morning for a long while that I haven’t been awake since 4.00am!

I find it difficult to settle to anything whenever I’m waiting for a delivery. I will spend most of the time looking out of the window.

My nephew phoned me yesterday evening. His mum has phoned him to say that she has booked into a hotel next Friday for three nights near his halls so that she can spend some time with him, and he doesn’t know what to do. He hasn’t been gone three weeks yet. I knew my sis-in-law was not coping but none of us thought that she would do this. My poor nephew says that much as he loves his mum his new flatmates and friends will mark him down as a ‘mummy’s boy’ and that he had plans with some of them for next weekend. I didn’t know what to say to him really, I always keep out of this sort of thing and certainly wouldn’t take sides or voice an opinion to any of them. It is something that they have to sort out for themselves.

Anyhow, I’m going to grab some breakfast and another cup of tea.

Have a good day everyone.
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,677 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 October 2017 at 7:55AM
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY for starting. I hope the delivery men don't keep you waiting too long.

I left a chicken casserole cooking overnight in the sc and it was smelling lovely when I went in the kitchen this morning. We will have that at lunchtime and I left some of the Celery & Stilton soup I made yesterday in the fridge for tonight with a piece of quiche. So a nice easy cooking day for me.

Still planning on tackling the wilderness outside today. Even if I have to do it in stages throughout the day I am determined to get it sorted for the winter. Much uprooting, cutting back, dead heading and pot emptying to be done. The garden waste bin will be full by the end of the day. Maybe next year I will have to search out a gardener as Mr TA can't help much these days.

I had a surprise phone call from my DB aying that he and his wife want to treat us to a day out, with a nice meal included. He says now Mr TA is back on an even keel (for now at least) they want to give us a treat after the first sh**e 6 months of the year, when we spent more time going to hospital appts etc than we did at home! Isn't that nice of them? Mr TA, however, is not happy at letting them pay and is determined to pay our share. I feel this is throwing their kindness back at them and I don't know what to say. Anyway this is earmarked for Thursday and DB is going to book to get a table in the window to enjoy the views. He won't tell me where we are going so it's to be a mystery tour!

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) for all in want/need of them. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 October 2017 at 7:54AM
    Options
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x I wouldn't know what to say to the nephew either!

Now light here, dry underfoot but very cloudy and dull, the blustery wind seems to have disappeared though.

DH and I enjoying peaceful cuppas, both boys still in their pits. DH says he feels much better this morning. He hasn't been able to get warm since Thursday, had horrible cough, sore throat, then yesterday afternoon, he was hot but felt cold, then started to sweat and I always think this is breaking the fever and it peaks at this point, then you seem to start feeling better - he's not right but better than he was, hopefully he's on the mend. Downside is he's probably given it to me, so will see how I go.

Dinner last night was duck in hoisin sauce, egg and veg fried rice and mushroom chow mein, all eaten and enjoyed. Today we'll be having roast pork with all the normal extras.

We need to go to town first thing this morning, for DH to collect his new glasses, then we'll return home and spend the day chilling - it's not fair to visit anyone/family with our germs.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Holly maybe your nephew should say something like "actually mum, I will be really busy, me & some other lads have made plans, I have to study while I am here, and I was planning to come home for a weekend in November. Why don't you change the booking to another hotel for you & dad?"

I've got a domestic day planned today... DH is off to visit a recently bereaved old friend for a few days and I want to sort out my work wardrobe for the new job, so his absence means I can get all my office clothes out, sort through, try on & make up outfits :)

Also have laundry & dishes to do, dyson to drag round and I need to nip to the sorting office for a parcel, Sainsbugs to get some shoes soled at Timpsons and Lidl for some packed lunch stuff before settling down with my knitting and the tv this evening.

Have a good day everyone, looks like it may be a nice one here in Blackpool.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Thank you Hollyharvey for starting us off.

Just made a cup of tea, feels quite chilly this morning.

Went shopping with DH yesterday, we got to the till and put our shopping on the conveyor and I asked DH to put a divider for the next ladies shopping. Then to my surprise (horror) he started to take this ladies shopping out of her trolley and put I it onto the conveyor. Poor lady looked shocked, I apologised, she was very kind. Had to laugh when at the till, DH suddenly walked off with half our shopping in the trolley leaving me to pay and carry the rest of the shopping in my arms.

Wonder what today will bring.

Hope you all have a good day.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly, hugs to all those in need.

I'm not managing to post often at the moment, CHS's shifts are constantly changing as he has a team member out sick, the team leader who is supposed to muck in and help in this sort of situation is a lazy beggar and refuses to help.

I'm really busy at work, the realisation that I'm leaving is beginning to hit home and people are bringing me work that they don't need until next September in an effort to avoid a crisis.

I'm also busy boat cleaning as I'm trying to build up a client base to provide me with an income once I leave work.

Today's exciting events include making boozy jam, starting off some Sloe gin and cleaning another boat.

Roast gammon for lunch and then a lazy evening in front of the log burner with my crochet.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Dry and fairly bright today, will put the washing on when I've had a shower. My neighbour is coming for a coffee later so better be organised.

Holly - if your sister insists on going your nephew should also go out with his friends, it's a very important time for him.
    Hope DH improves soon nmlc.

Got the ironing done yesterday and even put it away (that's the worst bit for me). Finished a book I was reading and watched a film, nearly the perfect Saturday!

Hope you all have a good Sunday, take care. XX
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Lovely bright autumn morning, not been out yet, but I bet it's cold.

We had a good time last night at the harvest supper, caught up with a friend we had not seen for a while. Our neighbour did not go after all, she is determined to turn herself into a recluse. Her husband is no longer here so she does not want to go out on her own. I can understand her to a point, but in the long run she is going to be very lonely.

Usual Sunday breakers in bed, did not sleep so well last night, eating after 6 pm does not really suit me.

No idea what we are having for supper, it will be chicken something. Might stuff a chicken breast and roast it, can do it in the remoska with some roast spuds.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

It’s wet underfoot outside though no rain falling, for now.

After having a couple of quiet’ish days I slept really well and long. Mind you I’ve now developed a habit of waking every night somewhere between 3am and 3.30am, find out the time and go immediately back to sleep. No idea why.

Last night I really enjoyed the dancing on SCD, even the bum ones.

TA - how lovely of your DB to do this for you both. If I were him I’d be ‘going to the loo’ when the meal is finished and paying first.

There’s no washing to be done here, I did a quick small load yesterday and put it all on the airers in the guest bedroom with the dehumidifier on. Not sure I can trust the weather to stay dry as the forecast is for more rain later on.

I’m going to make limp veg soup today, there’s a small piece of my favourite bread left and that’ll be me.

Happy Sunday to you all.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TA I'm having garden problems too. It hasn't stopped raining for long enough for the garden to dry out for the last 4 weeks so the grass is getting longer and longer.....I'm going to make a start on the front today instead which is smaller. I'm going to cut everything right back and hopefully by the time I've done that the small square of grass will be dry enough to cut. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do about the back - it slopes downwards so there's going to be a pond at the bottom if this weather carries on.

Hollyharvey I understand why you're keeping out of it and hopefully if your nephew talks to his mates they'll help him come up with some good excuses and a polite way of saying no thanks.

So today will be gardening, then some baking (JackieO was kind enough to share her melting moments recipe with me) then ironing then a roast dinner for this evening. My leg isn't better yet, but I'm feeling a lot better so I'm taking that as a sign that things will be ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure