3 Wifi Problems

Options
So, in August I took out a 3 mobile wifi contract for £15 a month. Whilst in the shop I explained to the salesman (when asking for occupation) that I was in the Armed Forces and so would be moving around quite a lot with the device.

Not long after I took out the contract I was abroad for 7 weeks and forgot to take it with me (typical!) anyway regardless of that this explains the fact iv missed the 30 day returns period.

So currently the signal received on the device is terribly weak. I visited another 3 store this week and spoke a salesman who told me that the issue is probably that the frequencies the mobile phone companies use is similar to the ones the armed forces use therefore a lot of military bases have blockers which prevent devices like this from working to their full potential. So therefore it is pretty useless to me.

Now I haven't yet rang customer services to discuss it with them, I was after a bit of advice before doing so. The salesman this week told me that the vast majority of 3 sales personnel should know about the military lack of signal problem and he should have told me that as I was taking out the contract.

So my question is, its a 2 year contract, which iv had for 2 months now. What are the chance of me getting it cancelled by 3 on the grounds of being mis-sold. If he had informed me of the possible lack of signal in the first place I woudnt have bothered with it.

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    You had the option of PAYG, a 30 day contract or even a 12 month contract. You decided to lock yourself into a 24 month contract.

Try the email in your PM inbox.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    The 3 MiFi device uses the same mobile phone service as an ordinary mobile. Do you, or your mates, suffer from weak (or non existent) mobile signals? The military have mobile jamming kit, but I can't see that being in constant use near your accommodation. What the sales staff told you sounds like pure bunkum to me.

The issue is more likely to be a lack of signal inside the building- many have foil insulation in the walls. Does the MiFi show good signal strength outdoors? What does the coverage look like in your area on the Three coverage map? http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage

None of the networks guarantee in building coverage, it's too much of an unknown.
  • Chrism899
    Options
    You had the option of PAYG, a 30 day contract or even a 12 month contract. You decided to lock yourself into a 24 month contract.

Try the email in your PM inbox.

Well funny you should say that, it was supposed to be a 12 month contract, or so I thought. Until I looked again at the paperwork and noticed it says 24 months and not 12!
  • Chrism899
    Options
    The 3 MiFi device uses the same mobile phone service as an ordinary mobile. Do you, or your mates, suffer from weak (or non existent) mobile signals? The military have mobile jamming kit, but I can't see that being in constant use near your accommodation. What the sales staff told you sounds like pure bunkum to me.

The issue is more likely to be a lack of signal inside the building- many have foil insulation in the walls. Does the MiFi show good signal strength outdoors? What does the coverage look like in your area on the Three coverage map?

None of the networks guarantee in building coverage, it's too much of an unknown.

Just checked the coverage map and funnily enough our camp is in a white (no coverage) area, aswel as 2 other camps iv visited in the past 3 weeks where iv also struggled with signal.

And yes the normal mobile phone signal is also extremely poor in the general area not just on the camp.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Chrism899 wrote: »
    Just checked the coverage map and funnily enough our camp is in a white (no coverage) area, aswel as 2 other camps iv visited in the past 3 weeks where iv also struggled with signal.

And yes the normal mobile phone signal is also extremely poor in the general area not just on the camp.

Sounds like you have found the problem, time to talk nicely to Three... the shop staff should have asked you where you intended to use it and shown you the coverage map. But there again, that would be one less sale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure