water meter on other property

Options
M1JWR
M1JWR Posts: 25 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all
Our property is owned by 3 people, its a smallholding.
its going to be split two thirds / one third.
the question is regarding the water meter.
the two thirds side will have the original main dwelling plus outbuildings and land.
the one third side will have the other outbuildings and land.
due to the lie of the land the meter will be situated on the one third side and the pipe
goes under that land to the two thirds side, the bills have always been sent the the original main dwelling/householder.
the one third side say when property is split and meter is on their land it will revert to them,
i dont think so, who is correct.
and what would be the best cheapest solution to this.
regards to all

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    You obviously will have to share the costs.

You could have two accounts, but then pay 2 x the standing charges.

The 'two thirds' side could have a sub-meter and pay the 'one third' side for the water they consume(plus sewerage charges if any) and half the standing charges.

If the two thirds side are unhappy, then cut them off:D

Or you could go to lawyers to sort it out - shouldn't cost more than a few thousand pounds!
  • M1JWR
    M1JWR Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The two thirds side have the water account and bills going back for donkeys years.
    the arrangement is at the moment the one third side pays the two thirds side a percentage
    for water they use, its just where the meter is after split.
    anyway you cant cut off a public water supply, its illegal, in a basic human rights kind of way.
    i know about lawyers they are only interested in making money for themselves by creating obsticles
    that are not there.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    If you can't come to an amicable agreement, you will have to have separate meters and accounts.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    edited 21 May 2017 at 6:13PM
    Options
    If its one supply with one meter then the water company wont be interested as its a private matter, the only way would to be to put private sub meter in and get a legal agreement drawn up, or to put in brand new supply to one side which will create 2 separate supplies and meters

If its a smallholding then the supply can be cut off, they cant cut water off it it goes to a property for human consumption, so the supply cant be cut off if it crosses the small part to the house if i read it correctly
  • KenWilson
    KenWilson Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2017 at 12:52PM
    Options
    I think you should opt for an agreement or have different bills according to your usage.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not have a word with the supplier's metering department ? I've just found ours very helpful.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 May 2017 at 10:44PM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    If you can't come to an amicable agreement, you will have to have separate meters and accounts.

I wonder whether strictly speaking this may be required anyway - if the property is legally sub-divided into separate properties then do they not both become liable for separate billing for water and other utilities (and possibly Council Tax)?

Might be something to check out and be sure of the position in relation to the proposed 'split' before contacting the utilities. It all depends on the nature and purpose of the 'split' - it could get expensive if a second set of bills become payable for everything and you might want to reconsider your options.

Edit: The Water Industry Act 1991 Section 64 may apply for example?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport