PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB: Exchange (hopefully) this week, completion in 2 weeks. What can I be doing now?

Options
I am a first time buyer, moving from furnished rental accommodation into a house. Is there anything I can/should be doing now or between exchange and completion to make sure the move goes smoothly?

Everything is in place on the admin side for exchange (10% deposit is with my solicitors, the rest of the money will be transferred by CHAPS once we exchange - I have time to go onto the bank and do that in good time)

My current list is:
before exchange
- Further viewing on the property tomorrow to measure up everything:this will include: getting dimensions on all the rooms (including windows, as they are not leaving any curtains), checking what bulbs the light fittings take, noting where plug sockets are, and measuring up the few bits of furniture that the vendors are leaving behind. I will also introduce myself to the neighbours if they're around. Anything else I should do on this visit?
- Organising home insurance from the day of exchange (I have quotes, just need to give the word to activate them)
- Declutter, giving away, junking or selling items I don't want any more so I have less to move on the day
- Get boxes and start packing things up

After exchange
- Massive trip to Ikea to organise furniture! (plus a sofa store, and ordering fridge/washing machine)
- Buying kitchen essentials which I don't have already
- Get broadband connection ordered
- Organise times to get tradespeople in after completion to quote for some renovations (replacing boiler, some roof/chimney work, some decoration.)
- Book mail redirection
- Cook a few meals that can be chucked in the chest freezer as soon as I move and easily reheated from there (there are few local takeaways, so I need something to keep me going!)

Furniture I currently have:
- Sofa (left by sellers)
- Chest freezer in the brick shed (left by sellers)
- Oven and dishwasher (inbuilt in kitchen)
- Bed (gifted by parents)
- Dining table/chairs (gifted by parents)
- Office desk/chair (the one bit of furniture I currently own!)

Moving is being done by car, and hiring a van to get the items from my parents' house.

Furniture I am planning to buy:
- Another sofa/armchairs (depending on exact measurements)
- Shelving for living room and dining room
- Storage for the spare room (main bedroom has built in wardrobes)
- Bedside tables
- Fridge/freezer
- Washing machine

What am I missing either on my "to do" or "to buy" lists?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use google.

Lots of lists on the internet.

Or borrow (free) a book on house buying from the library.
  • Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    I completed 2 weeks ago and no matter how organised you think you are, once you are in the house you realise all the small things you've forgotten!
  • Debtslayer
    Debtslayer Posts: 447 Forumite
    Options
    Write a list of all the places you need to contact to change your address and need to contact to set up accounts with
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036:eek: Target MED: 2026 ;)
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £684.80
    MFW No 124 :money:
  • davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Debtslayer wrote: »
    Write a list of all the places you need to contact to change your address and need to contact to set up accounts with

great point - don't forget to go through your direct debits to see who you need to contact as well
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Electoral register
    TV licence
    Find best electricity and gas suppliers

Don't worry about doing everything in day 1 but aim to complete all the admin in the first month of moving in.
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

My partner and I completed two weeks ago and when we added up the number of places we needed to change our address on (everything from utilities and driving licences to Morrisseys club card) we totaled 65 places! There are way more than you think!

When viewing the house for the last time check all of the sockets and any appliances that are staying work, run the taps, flush the toilet etc. Also check the quality/working order of any fixtures and fittings being left. It might be worth locating the stopcock and fuse box just in case.

You should be able to check only but it's always worth a look to see when your rubbish & recycling collection is. We had lots of boxes and packing materials, but we moved in on the Monday and the collection was Wednesday so it managed to accommodate what unpacking we had done.

It may also be worth having a separate box of cleaning supplies so you can give the place a once over when you arrive - it should be in a reasonable state but again just in case. And it's always a good idea to have a tea/drinks/snacks supply box easy to hand so you can have a well-earned tea break when moving.

Honestly having your proactive outlook and being organised will help. Good Luck!
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots of lists like this on the internet too.

No need to re-invent the wheel.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    One recommendation - if you have one near you, Wilko are often cheaper than Ikea and the quality's usually really good.

Can highly recommend their white dinner service at £6 (http://www.wilko.com/all-dinnerware/wilko-functional-dinner-set-white/invt/0263286). No chips, cracks, breaks or damage in over four years. And their hiball glasses (50p) also seem unbreakable and last forever. Great size too (http://www.wilko.com/glassware/wilko-hiball-glass/invt/0316135).

Good luck!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    DumbMuscle wrote: »
    I am a first time buyer, moving from furnished rental accommodation into a house. Is there anything I can/should be doing now or between exchange and completion to make sure the move goes smoothly?

Everything is in place on the admin side for exchange (10% deposit is with my solicitors, the rest of the money will be transferred by CHAPS once we exchange - I have time to go onto the bank and do that in good time)

My current list is:
    before exchange
    - Further viewing on the property tomorrow to measure up everything:this will include: getting dimensions on all the rooms (including windows, as they are not leaving any curtains), checking what bulbs the light fittings take, noting where plug sockets are, and measuring up the few bits of furniture that the vendors are leaving behind. I will also introduce myself to the neighbours if they're around. Anything else I should do on this visit?
    - Organising home insurance from the day of exchange (I have quotes, just need to give the word to activate them)
    - Declutter, giving away, junking or selling items I don't want any more so I have less to move on the day
    - Get boxes and start packing things up

After exchange
    - Massive trip to Ikea to organise furniture! (plus a sofa store, and ordering fridge/washing machine)
    - Buying kitchen essentials which I don't have already
    - Get broadband connection ordered
    - Organise times to get tradespeople in after completion to quote for some renovations (replacing boiler, some roof/chimney work, some decoration.)
    - Book mail redirection
    - Cook a few meals that can be chucked in the chest freezer as soon as I move and easily reheated from there (there are few local takeaways, so I need something to keep me going!)

Furniture I currently have:
    - Sofa (left by sellers)
    - Chest freezer in the brick shed (left by sellers)
    - Oven and dishwasher (inbuilt in kitchen)
    - Bed (gifted by parents)
    - Dining table/chairs (gifted by parents)
    - Office desk/chair (the one bit of furniture I currently own!)

Moving is being done by car, and hiring a van to get the items from my parents' house.

Furniture I am planning to buy:
    - Another sofa/armchairs (depending on exact measurements)
    - Shelving for living room and dining room
    - Storage for the spare room (main bedroom has built in wardrobes)
    - Bedside tables
    - Fridge/freezer
    - Washing machine

What am I missing either on my "to do" or "to buy" lists?

Be sure to update your driving licence ASAP with the DVLA. This one is punishable with a hefty fine if not done! :)

And contact HMRC - you can do this online - to update address.
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    NelliePie wrote: »
    My partner and I completed two weeks ago and when we added up the number of places we needed to change our address on (everything from utilities and driving licences to Morrisseys club card) we totaled 65 places! There are way more than you think!

When viewing the house for the last time check all of the sockets and any appliances that are staying work, run the taps, flush the toilet etc. Also check the quality/working order of any fixtures and fittings being left. It might be worth locating the stopcock and fuse box just in case.

You should be able to check only but it's always worth a look to see when your rubbish & recycling collection is. We had lots of boxes and packing materials, but we moved in on the Monday and the collection was Wednesday so it managed to accommodate what unpacking we had done.

It may also be worth having a separate box of cleaning supplies so you can give the place a once over when you arrive - it should be in a reasonable state but again just in case. And it's always a good idea to have a tea/drinks/snacks supply box easy to hand so you can have a well-earned tea break when moving.

Honestly having your proactive outlook and being organised will help. Good Luck!

Luckily, 99% of the companies I have accounts with are purely online - so I only have 15 or so that I need to change (and redirection should pick up any others).

I know where the stopcock and fuse box are - will check various fittings as I go. Rubbish and recycling is less of an issue - I'm moving on a Friday, and will be getting some work done before I can unleash all the flatpack and fully unpack. Honestly, if I ask now I'll just forget... Plus I have a spare room where I can put stuff to forget about it!

Cleaning supplies are a good shout - I'll make sure they get their own box when packing the current place up. There's a pub just around the corner, so a nice alternative to tea breaks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure