Charged fees for something ebay perceives as being sold off ebay

Options
This was my message to a potential buyer:

If you don't mind I would also prefer BACs payment as ebay and
paypal charges are quite hefty for a high value item, that would really help me out!

I listed a piano on ebay, and the buyer asked for photos and information. I asked if the buyer could pay via BACS. I then received a phone call from ebay saying that they have blocked the buyers account for 7 days because she tried to send her telephone number to me. A month later i receive an invoice for £250 as a final valuation fee.

This had always been my intention, to complete the purchase via ebay and receive a BACS payment (payment method). I have been back and forth with ebay and they are saying that my message "suggests that the transaction can go through, but outside of the eBay site to circumvent the fees for this transaction." Here's the funny part to it, they have explicitly explained that the reference to the BACS "The payment method isn't the concern". I never wanted to transact outside of ebay, i merely asked for a BACS payment which according to ebay is permitted. They keep referring to me wanting to transact outside of ebay? The communication did not lead to a sale being taken offsite. Am i missing something?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yep, there is a thread about how strict and sometimes over zealous they have become about any mention of sellign outside ebay or not using paypal.

Although getting common sense from them will be difficult.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Irn-Bru-Kid
    Options
    katy123 wrote: »

paypal charges are quite hefty for a high value item, that would really help me out!

This implies that you would rather deal outside of ebay and avoid the 10% fee.

The new terms and conditions are quite clear. Any reference to contact details, fee avoidance etc, in communications between buyer/seller is not permitted and sadly, you have paid the price.
  • katy123
    katy123 Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

This implies that you would rather deal outside of ebay and avoid the 10% fee.

The new terms and conditions are quite clear. Any reference to contact details, fee avoidance etc, in communications between buyer/seller is not allowed.

Does it imply that I would rather deal outside of ebay (it's a BACS payment), buyer commits to buy and then BACS the payment. ebay still facilities the transaction, albeit not the payment. Ebay has no issue with BACS payment.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately the way you've worded it sounds as if you are trying avoid ebay fees as well as those levied by Paypal. I certainly thought that was what you meant, so you can be sure the zealots at ebay will have adopted the worst case scenario. Sadly there probably isn't much you can do, if you look at their T&C.
  • katy123
    katy123 Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dox wrote: »
    Unfortunately the way you've worded it sounds as if you are trying avoid ebay fees as well as those levied by Paypal. I certainly thought that was what you meant, so you can be sure the zealots at ebay will have adopted the worst case scenario. Sadly there probably isn't much you can do, if you look at their T&C.

But as a matter of fact, it did not happen off ebay. I sold the piano on gumtree. I just wanted a BACS payment, yes to bypass paypal fees.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    and they are saying that my message "suggests that the transaction can go through, but outside of the eBay site to circumvent the fees for this transaction."
    To be honest, that's exactly how I would interpret your message to the potential buyer as well.
    If you had only mentioned that the Paypal fees were quite high then you may not have been flagged but as you stated that ebay fees were also too high, this could be taken to mean that you wanted to avoid them as well.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    Your message does suggest to me that you are trying to avoid Ebay fees in what you quoted.

Regarding sending phone numbers, as a seller I got a 7 day suspension for sending my phone number to a buyer after a sale for a collection in person item.

Ebay really do not want buyers and sellers exchanging any form of contact details at all and this does make collection in person items as your piano would be, very difficult to facilitate.

Since the Ebay policy change, I've now turned off messages from buyers so they now see a message stating: 'due to the high volume of emails this seller recieves, they are unable to answer your question' - so far I've seen no drop in sales, and it helps protect myself and customers if they try to send a phone number etc.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    Dox wrote: »
    Sadly there probably isn't much you can do, if you look at their T&C.

Popular misconception.

Ebay's one sided T&Cs are meaningless.

What other company thinks it can charge some random person £250 for a service it didn't perform?

OP should report them to Action Fraud.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    Am i missing something?

They're just trying to cheat you out of money, ignore their invoice and find a more honest advertising platform to offload your surplus belongings on.

Consider reporting them to the police/action fraud, after all they are trying to charge you for a service they didn't provide.

It's about time ebay was closed down and its directors jailed.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • Lisbon
    Lisbon Posts: 415 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Popular misconception.

Ebay's one sided T&Cs are meaningless.

What other company thinks it can charge some random person £250 for a service it didn't perform?

OP should report them to Action Fraud.

If you sign up to a site or service you are (generally) bound by the T&Cs. If OP doesn't like the terms, then don't use the site. Millions of people are perfectly happy with their ebay experience - this forum tends to see those who aren't....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure