Declined Credit (Mobile Phone) but don't understand why

Options
Hiya :wave:

Wasn't sure if this should go here, or in the mobiles bit.

In December (2nd) I applied for a phone upgrade (I'm currently SIM only contract) through the same phone provider as I have now. I pay £16 a month and the new contract was £29 per month (Three). Unfortunately they declined me credit.

I checked MSE's Credit Club credit report and there is nothing on there that is a worry and my rating is 999.

Feeling cross I left it as I didn't want to do another search so soon. Fast forward to yesterday.

I find another SIM only deal for £9 a month (Virgin), apply online and instantly get the no sorry your credit check has declined message (or whatever it says). So in a panic I sign up to both equifax (as that's the one Virgin refer to) and ClearScore. I also check the MSE Credit Club report again.

Nothing has anything wrong, I don't have any missed payments, CCJ's, I'm on the electoral roll and I have active credit cards, current accounts and everything is up to date. I have a mortgage and that is up to date too. Interestingly there is also no trace of the credit check run by Three back in December on any report either.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd really like a phone that bloody works!
Trying to get on top of finances one step at a time

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That your score is 999 could be a worry as that's usually for people newly declared bankrupt or no credit. So your credit cards show up on the report? Have they got your current address etc?
  • wiggly
    wiggly Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 9 January 2018 at 10:16AM
    Options
    That is the score from experian via MSE, equifax have me as 514/700

Yes my credit cards show up (3), I have 18% credit uilisation. All cards, my loan, my mortgage and address are all fine.

Experian have me as 999/999, and the summary says "MoneySavingExpert Credit Hit Rate Out of our basket of top credit cards and loans, you have a good chance of getting 99% of them."

Both reports have the right details, the right amounts etc. They show the right cards closed and only the current ones active (I don't churn frequently, I mean there are no anomalies).
  • wiggly
    First Post
    Options
    Having looked at the address it's not in the right order on equifax, the city comes before the suburb. Would that matter?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ignore the score since it's fictitious and makes no difference, as you've found out :)

They may have ran a soft search on you first, and if you passed that. would have ran a hard search.

Are there any soft searches showing?
  • wiggly
    First Post
    Options
    Nope, not from Three (December) or Virgin, though that was only yesterday so still time to show up. Nothing in soft or hard searches.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If Clearscore etc. haven't been updated for the month yet then that could be why you're nor seeing them on there yet
  • wiggly
    First Post
    Options
    Clearscore was opened yesterday, after the decline, so no I'm not expecting to see Virgin on there yet. But the Three decline was December 2nd and that shows on neither clearscore or experian.

This sucks :(

I did sign up to the full equifax free month though to see if it appears before clearscore is refreshed
  • wiggly
    First Post
    edited 9 January 2018 at 10:47AM
    Options
    Actually my address is correct on equifax but not clearscore.
  • wiggly
    First Post
    Options
    So, over a week later and there is still no search showing on equifax.

So if I get refused credit with no hard search (or anything I can see) what the !!!! are you supposed to do to get a new phone?
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Have you checked Call Credit (https://www.noddle.co.uk) ?

Have you been on the ER at your address for long?

How long have you been with 3 for?

I know you said everything appears good on your files, but 3 are one of the laxest mobile operators out there - I know 3 people who have taken out phone+sim contracts with them in the last 2 months; 2 were bankrupt and 1 with a CCJ and they all passed their credit check fine.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure