PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,278 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Celeriac - love the stuff but almost impossible to get a decent sized one round here. I tried growing it once what didn't get slugged was the size of golf balls.
    I love it made into rosti or remoulade salad:)

I used to grow it and they were a decent size, if slightly slug nibbled, however at that time, decades ago, it was a very exotic veg, along with sprouting broccoli and fennel.
    Having grown it I never bothered again, just not one of my must have veggies

PN, re caster sugar, tip I got from CFO thread and have found very useful since, if you have blitzer just blitz bog standard sugar until desired grain size achieved

Still coughing but easing, slept in again due to hacking half the night

No breakfast despite having put oats in soak overnight, just didn't fancy them. Still there if I feel the urge later

Stayed in again, not feeling well enough to mooch today :(

Lunch was repeat ham salad sarnie

Dinner, bit undecided but is likely to be lazy day option of ham on toast topped with grilled cheese and fried eggs
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

I had some porridge for breakfast this morning, I haven't had it for a while now so enjoyed it.

Lunch was the tuna mayo sandwich. The last of this tin though, so something else tomorrow :).

I'm having the second portion of the fish pie that I made yesterday for dinner, followed by a slice of raspberry bakewell cake that I've just put in the oven. It's already starting to smell nice :).
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Afternoon Folks,

Decided on a piece of cod for tea tonight, I'll spice it up with some chilli paste and have it along with a veg & noodle stir fry.

Managed to create a little bit of space during my freezer forage this morning, took out a portion of soup and the last of the chicken curry for tomorrow's meals, also some bread for toasting and bingo! found some lemon drizzle cake I'd forgotten about.

Had one of the pears this morning but inside was starting to go a bit brown so stewed the remaining two along with a large bramley, I'll freeze two small pots and use the other for breakfasts over the next couple of days.

:drool::drool: Mmmm, liking the sound of your bakewell HH.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    PN, re caster sugar, tip I got from CFO thread and have found very useful since, if you have blitzer just blitz bog standard sugar until desired grain size achieved

I know that ... but I'm gadgetless. Everything in this household is Retro ... all cakes, say, are beaten by hand, with a fork :) ... and usually in a jug.

It doesn't bother me using regular sugar in reality ... it's an unnecessary frippery most of the time.

In the end .... I went to the shops and bought a jar of jam. Skipped flour/margarine as I figured if I did make the little things then I could substitute what I've already got.

I also bought sausage rolls because ... everybody at my house voted for sausage rolls for tea :)
    Reheated two sausage rolls once I got in.

I also bought a 35p lump of broccoli, this week's 4ldi reduced offers, (334 grams/I weighed it) ... thinking "broc & cheese quiche of some sort" .... but not today. :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 September 2017 at 8:12PM
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    I'm done in as I spent most of the day at physio being put through my paces prior to discharge from them.
    Breakfast was the usual toast and lunch ended up being a packet of crisps:(, a banana and an apple.
    Going for any easy option tonight of ham &leek pie, [STRIKE]baked spud [/STRIKE] ETA oven chips and roasted mushrooms so a good old one tray job :D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I think that means you're entitled to a quiet evening in Caron then.

I think that makes two of us - not good news (well I didnt really think it would be) of the ongoing parents health.

Only positive thing of note today in a totally different direction - I noticed disaster was about to strike a group I'm involved in and there wasnt going to be much notice of it. It would have been recoverable from - but quite a nuisance and an expense. One quick screech in the right direction of "Warning - incoming emergency" and that was that sorted and all carries on as normal. Whew.....emergency averted.

If only all emergencies were so easily averted:cool:.

Bitty day food-wise. Lunch was very late one way and another and was leftover spiced potatoes and salad basically. Dinner was some of that vegetable soup with some cheese I'm using up grated on top and sourdough bread.

.......and I am going to put my feet up for the night....

You get one end of the couch caron and I get the other:).

Shant even bother to check if there is a tv programme I want to watch tonight - there's always Iplayer. Time to head back to lightweight fiction book...
  • caronc
    Options
    I think that means you're entitled to a quiet evening in Caron then.

I think that makes two of us - not good news (well I didnt really think it would be) of the ongoing parents health.

You get one end of the couch caron and I get the other:).

Shant even bother to check if there is a tv programme I want to watch tonight - there's always Iplayer. Time to head back to lightweight fiction book...

That's not so good re your parents:(.

Happy to couch share but can I watch GBBO on C4 catch up please then i-player is all yours? :D
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Today is my last "official" working day and then I'll be retired- feels very odd even though I haven't actually worked in over a year. That said it will be nice to get some income again though that will probably take some time to sort out :)
    The sun is shining just now but there is a weather warning for rain & thunder later, suspect that will finish off my runner bean plants. Both Tesco and a meat order due today so I'll need to do a freezer shuffle and I've loads of ripe tomatoes needing prepped so that'll keep me out of mischief :D.
    Usual toast for breakfast and lunch will be a salad roll of some description. I'm not sure about tonight yet.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    In my head there is food I could/should cook, e.g. quiche with that broccoli if I had eggs.... or little biscuity things as I've got the ingredients.

There are opened items that need using up, e.g. a piece of swede that's been kicking around for 2-3 weeks and some baked beans and the final slice of emmental (that is intended for that quiche, if I had eggs).

In my cupboard there are gaps where some foods would ideally be, but you can't keep a fully stocked cupboard all the time. Currently out of: bread, spuds and eggs.

But in my fridge there are sausage rolls ....

2 sausage rolls for me today for lunch :)

There is a slim possibility I might cook some biscuits alongside those sausage rolls though .... but it's slim.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    .... it will be nice to get some income again ....
    Ah, yes, income.... I've been mostly without that for about 10 years now. Just living off savings really and a tiny online income that's not able to increase as my lifestyle isn't conducive to becoming blogger of the year (you need to be young/pretty, doing selfies, have quite a good income so you're doing stuff - and preferably be able to produce photos of puppies/kids and kittens on demand for extra views). When frugal mummy bloggers are pumping out stuff with photos from their Aga, home in the country, 2nd home, holidays, travel .... and puppies.... it's game over for pauper hermits.

As a "rule of thumb", my income works out at a bit less than a single person on the dole... which is why you rarely see me doing anything/going anywhere/buying anything :) And even that income is an increase over last year's!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure