A few thoughts about this forum

Options

Comments

• LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I find the thought of seven people lodging a complaint truly independently a total non starter. There was I suspect collusion.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lili2008 wrote: »
    I came here a few months ago in a distraught state, seeking intelligent advice and comfort.

I'm afraid to say you are in the wrong place. The rules of these forums are:

I want to give advice, why can't I?
    If you're discussing a topic you have a professional knowledge of you can make that clear, but please don't give "advice". We don't have the resources to check what you say is correct and would hate to hear something had happened to someone reading it.

Equally, this is an open forum, so ordinary forum users should bear in mind anyone can say anything. Just because someone says they're an IFA, broker, electrician, etc and sounds knowledgeable, doesn't mean they ARE one. We obviously can't check that what everyone on the forum says is true. As always, it's essential everyone using the site does their own research.

The responses you get here are opinions - some will be comforting, others factual, and some of the more robust pull-yourself-together type. What's common is that every respondent is taking time out of their day to reply to you. I am always grateful for replies to what I post, even if they aren't what I want to hear. You should be too.

On a practical note, you will probably find mumsnet a better place for comfort and emotional intelligence.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    On a practical note, you will probably find mumsnet a better place for comfort and emotional intelligence.

Have you been on mumsnet? It can be great fun, but it is easily as abrasive as here, if not more so.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    No. The point I am making is that people come to these forums thinking Martin Lewis, there will be some good advice there. What they actually find is a small clique of people who pounce on every thread, and the legal advice they give is of limited knowledge, management-centred and in many cases, just plain misleading. The way this forum works, nobody should ever challenge anything.
    There are clearly many regular posters on this forum who don't have jobs. The fact is that HR and Employment law moves on, and this forum does nothing but discourage anyone who comes here. Where is the emotional intelligence?
    This is some high class trolling here...

well done...well done
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I came here a few months ago in a distraught state, seeking intelligent advice and comfort.

What I got was a 'management is always right'mentality, by a little clique who seem to crouch here, leaping on every thread and taking pleasure in that mindset.

So, a few things. Are there no 'real' board guides here?

Also, in my journey towards having employment law implemented, there are so many grey areas that you won't hear about on this board. There are too many people with too much time on their hands here to tell you off. Ignore them, go elsewhere for advice and if there are any real board guides on this forum, put this post as a sticky at the top.

Oh come on, you've been on here near 10 years so you've been around the block enough to know people who post on forums are posting their opinions, and its not some series of board "guides" who post, sanctioned by Martin Lewis himself.

Board guides generally keep an eye on posts and threads and are not paid "experts" either, so i'm not sure why your expectation was ever otherwise.
  • montyrebel
    Options
    wah wah wah people on the internet said some things I didn't agree with and I got upset, woe is me
    mortui non mordent
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    I came here a few months ago in a distraught state, seeking intelligent advice...

Fair enough.....
    ...and comfort.

...what on earth gave you the impression that anyone here has any interest in "comforting" you? We don't know you and we don't care about you.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and comfort.

Tea and cakes at mine tonight? 😀
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you want legal advice, pay a solicitor. If you want comfort, try a therapist/counsellor or friend. If you want random views from faceless people try a forum.

If you feel posts have crossed the line there is a report button. Disagreeing with you, or not posting what you want to hear is not sufficient. Maybe take some time out from the forum if it is getting to you and look inward before criticising others (who are often just trying to help, for free).
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Tea and cakes at mine tonight? ��

Can I come, I'm a bit stressed....... I know I'm an employer, but I'm not that bad. Really...:p
    Ozzuk wrote: »
    If you want legal advice, pay a solicitor. If you want comfort, try a therapist/counsellor or friend. If you want random views from faceless people try a forum.

:D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport