Back boiler, please help!

Options
Hi, no idea if I’m posting in the right place so apologies.
Right, I have moved into a new property and it has a back boiler (I think?) it’s got a fire and the boiler is behind that and then there is a water tank in the airing cupboard. There is a timer on the wall with water only and water & heating. The heating seems to be really good to be honest, heats fast but the water seems to take around two hours to heat up. Is this normal?
I also have no idea how to work the timer. It has 4 points (a,b,c,d) and you set them to the time you wish for it to come on etc but then I set it, put the switch to timed and it comes on even when it’s not that time, until I turn the switch and hear a click and it goes off!
I also see a switch with water heater? Is this an immersion? And why do I have one when I already have gas?
Sorry, as you can tell I’m so confused ! I really have no idea.
Thank you! X

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, you have a back boiler.

I'm not sure if two hours is correct for how long the hot water tank should take to heat, but if the heating comes on fast, then the water is probably being heated as quickly as it can be. It will heat more quickly if the Central Heating is off.

Points A and C on the time set when the Heating and Hot Water are ON, and Points B and D set when they are OFF. It sounds like your time is one of these: http://heating.danfoss.com/PCMPDF/7479v04.pdf

You should set the times by moving Points A, B, C & D to when you want the system to be on and off, and then turn the time dial all the way round, clockwise, at least twice to get to the correct time. Then set the switch on the side to Timed operation.

The switch by the Hot Water Tank could well be for an Immersion Heater. If it is there will be quite a thick cable going from the switch to the Heater on the Hot Water Tank. It is there as a backup, but it looks like your timer might only be able to only heat the hot water if the Central Heating is also ON. If this is the case, you would use the Immerrsion Heater to heat hot water in the Summer (or any time it is too warm to have the heating on). I'd recommend that it this is the case, you get a heating engineer to check to see if the timer can swapped for one that can use the back boiler to heat domestic hot water without having to have the central heating on.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure