PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Well my M&S hunt for a y/s ready meal for dinner tonight was a lost cause. They didn't have anything other than an individual quiche and that only had 30p knocked off it.

However, I wondered down to Sainsburys and found two of those sourdough loafs of bread that I am currently enjoying so much reduced to 40p each so I got those and that was it.

I came home and did some beans on toast for lunch, and got a piece of haddock out of the freezer to have with some steamed veg and potatoes for dinner. I have also made a batch of blueberry muffins to use up a punnet of blueberries. The only problem with that is, that it makes 12 I have already eaten 1 and given one to a neighbour and I will eat 2 more today so that is 8 muffins that now need to go into the freezer and 2 loafs of sourdough bread. I think I need to stay away from shops all together for at least a year :D

At least I am out for lunch Wednesday and Thursday so I don't have to think about what I am going to eat other than breakfast, and maybe a small snack in the evenings.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Remove the skins and make scotch eggs?

Use as meatballs in pasta sauce?

Thanks but I really didn't need any more meals. I`d bought these and froze the whole pack to make sausage rolls for a family do next month. Would have done them fresh on the day but now they are ready made. Just dissed off that they taking up freezer space I needed. Also was really messy getting skins off, when they are frozen I just slit the skin down the side and put in cold water, skin just peelsoff and the sausagemeat is ready shaped to roll in pastry.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Thankfully it finally stopped raining and the sun came out.:) Despite being "unsteady eddie" today ;) I managed to pot up four hanging baskets so at least a little progress.
    Dinner just needs popping in the oven and I'll vac pack and freeze the remaining chicken thighs for another time. I've still a wee bit of the smoked salmon left so I think tomorrow I'll use that up with the rest of the asparagus and make pasta dish:D.

Meg72 - thanks for the reminder I've umpteen sausage rolls in the freezer made when I had surplus sausages and pastry after New Year:) Shame about the whoops moment but at least that's one less job for the next time the family come:cool:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OMG my meatballs et al are awesome.

Currently ... scoffing them ... ALL.

It was really 1.5 portions, dictated by the size of the meat I'd frozen (180 grams) .... but I'm soldiering on :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    ....I really didn't need any more meals. .

In a single household... most things "out of the freezer" end up with more stuff added and .... put BACK in the freezer, often occupying more space when you started, rather than freeing any up.

Oh well.... you'll laugh about this on the day ... and at least you don't have to make them on the day, when some other disaster will present itself! (they always do).
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    In a single household... most things "out of the freezer" end up with more stuff added and .... put BACK in the freezer, often occupying more space when you started, rather than freeing any up.

Story of my life :D
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    OMG my meatballs et al are awesome.

Currently ... scoffing them ... ALL.

It was really 1.5 portions, dictated by the size of the meat I'd frozen (180 grams) .... but I'm soldiering on :)

If something is really good and you are enjoying it, it is important that you soldier on and eat it all rather than put anything back in the freezer or save for a snack later :D Glad you are enjoying them :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Putting more in the freezer than what I took out is my life - definitely a CFO problem.:(;)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Just squeezing in a small/cheap choc ice... no room really, which is how I've still got time to log in here and post .... nearly half way through it.

:)

I've opened it ... so I have to eat it :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    I've just squeezed in two breakaway chocolate bars and three slices of sourdough bread warmed and butter :) I don't know why it's not like me to be eating at this time of night. I think I must be sub-consciously worrying about something :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure