Advice for paying our last loan

Options
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum so hope this question is allowed. I was fortunate enough that when we purchased our house, my father loaned us the extra money we required so we didn't have to get a mortgage (we do pay him interest though). I have got the balance owed to him down to £8,000 and am wondering from this point whether I could get a 0% credit card to pay him back the balance and hence save the interest? My issue is, obviously I'll need to pay him cash/cheque or bank transfer so it wouldn't go through the card as a purchase. Could this work? Is there another way or should I just keep paying him extra when we can? Many thanks xxx

Comments

• Muttipops
    Options
    Moomin, a couple of questions for you.
    How much interest is your father charging you and do you have any savings to act as an emergency fund if required?
  • Moomin_Bear
    Options
    I do have some savings yes, but don't want to run them down to zero to pay him off. We agreed the interest rate when we took the loan and it was a bit more favourable than the bank was offering. Not sure what the rate was but it's about £37 per month. Obviously it was on a higher balance when we took it. I could easily pay the balance off within the next year anyway, but thinking if I could save the £37 per month for 10 months, it adds up!
  • Muttipops
    Options
    My real name is Mrs Very-Cautious!!!! ( only kidding, but that is my attitude to credit cards!).

I would keep things as they are if you can pay your father back in a year.

Because credit cards to me are a licence to use the darned things and it is easy to put other things on it and before you know it, you owe more money. So what starts out as a cost saving exercise turns into a spending opportunity.

But as I say, I am a no risk person and depends on your attitude to credit cards, even 0% ones.

Ooo, and I wouldn't use your savings either, I wasn't suggesting that, just wanted to make sure you had a safety net and weren't leaving yourself open to having nothing to fall back on.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    You can get a 0% balance transfer card to pay your father back. Your dad is getting a pretty good interest rate off you if you pay him £37 per month. A mortgage would have been cheaper for you. You can get mortages at 1% 0r 2% and you appear to be paying him about 5-6%
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You would need to pick a card which allows you to do the transfer to your current account - don't forget there is a transfer fee for most of these offers (I think a few have some good offers on ATM... )

Personally unless the £37 is an issue then I would just keep hammering the loan as it stands... ok it's £370 (or a little less as you reduce that every month as you pay more back)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Moomin_Bear
    Options
    Yes, I understand how it seems a high interest rate... however it has only been the £37 a month even when I owed £40,000 so really it is good, but now it seems a lot to pay with only the £8,000 outstanding hence my wondering if there was a better way. We are very good with credit cards, we have various ones for various purposes ( 1 because it gives us best rates on holidays, 1 because it gives us cashback etc.) So I'm not worried about getting into debt with it as such, it was more how to work it with it not being a "purchase".
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    as long as you get a money transfer at 0% it will allow you to do what you want. MBNA and virgin money offer them. There will be a transfer fee though of typically 3%
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I do have some savings yes, but don't want to run them down to zero to pay him off.

If you could get a 0% on purchases card, you could use the savings to pay off your father, then keep the 0% card for emergencies, while you build up your savings again.

That way would save the BT fee.
  • bobcat2
    bobcat2 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doesn't look like it would be worth it if you used a balance transfer card to transfer money to your bank account it would probably have a fee of somewhere around 3% so £240 total so not a massive saving over the £370 you would have paid.
    If you go a purchase card and 0% for your day to day spending there would be no fee and you could use the money to pay off the £8000 sooner. However the problem would be that if you didn't get a long enough interest free period you'd then be in the position that the 0% rate would soon be expiring and you'd need to have the money available to pay that back, so maybe not worth the bother...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure