Tire pressure (motorbike) safe?

Options
Hey all,

First time posting on here! I just need some advice with regards to my motorbike.

Basically, I have 2 weeks to drive it 10 miles and need to get it back in time to declare it SORN in a safe location. It is completely road legal until the 1st October :o

I used it a short while back and when I got to my location (a friend's house 10 miles away) I noticed that the back tyre had become sort of flat... It pretty much happened on that journey.

It feels flat when you ride it (the way an underflated bicycle tyre drags). I've only tried it around the car park.

It feels fairly solid when you squeeze it on the stand, but the front one is much much harder (like a rock)

It also has cracks around the side which I initially put down to vandalism, but it looks more like wear and tear damage. Not sure when those developed, but assuming it was during the ride up to my friend's house. Also assuming that this is the problem.

Sadly, the nearest garage is probably 5 miles away (or more) and I'd probably be better just going for the 10 miles back home.

My questions:

1. Will pumping it up at a petrol station be a good idea? Could I get home on it?

2. If its a good idea, how much do they cost?

3. Could I potentially make it home on an under inflated tyre? If I did like 20-30 mph all the way? Does the contact potentially increase the risk of tyre blowing out?

Cheers all! I'm a bit useless with motorbikes/tyres!

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Seriously? You're a motorcyclist but want to willingly ADD risk to the activity of riding by doing so with a rotten tyre?

Mental.

Buy a new tyre and lose the death wish.

And yes, I ride bikes too. No, I would not ride on a flat tyre.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The cracking could be indication you have a very old tyre?
    It is dangerous to ride with underinflated tyre. I would suggest you buy a pump or a puncture repair kit with inflation cylinders to get you home.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seriously? You're a motorcyclist but want to willingly ADD risk to the activity of riding by doing so with a rotten tyre?

Mental.

Buy a new tyre and lose the death wish.

And yes, I ride bikes too. No, I would not ride on a flat tyre.

This - With Knobs-on!
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    It is completely road legal until the 1st October :o
    Not with a grossly under inflated tyre.

If you're not willing to maintain it properly you shouldn't be riding it.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    this has to be a wind up but if it isnt

OP what pressure should be in there? and what presure is in there, assuming you have a tyre pressure monitor (only a couple of quid) and a footpump.

ignoring the fact it looks like you need a new tyre anyway
  • fas3robinj
    Options
    I'm also a biker.

Plenty of mobile tyre installers around.

Get one to come out to you and put a new tyre on. It takes 30 mins.

To ride the bike in that state is mental.
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Over on the classic car forum a chap had a 20 year old car with virtually new tyres as he didn't use it much and unfortunately lost it on a corner and crashed.

Anyway he found out that even though the tyres had loads of tread, the oils and binding chemicals dry out and the tyre looses it's flexibilty and in effect is pretty awful.

They say 5 to 7 years max on tyres. Just thought i'd add this in.
  • alanrowell
    Options
    Tire??????
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    alanrowell wrote: »
    Tire??????

Sometimes the potential for harm pushes the importance of spelling back a bit! :D
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The tyres shouldn't have cracks. If they do they need replacing. They should be inflated to the correct pressure for the machine, and checked with a pressure gauge.
    As per the handbook.
    Which you do have?
    And have read?
    And do the routine checks and maintenance as described there?

It's not a bicycle where you can "feel" the tyre for pressure. FWIW I check my bicycle tyres with a pressure gauge and bin 'em if they show signs of cracking.

If you're not prepared to learn how to keep the machine in good condition, do the routine checks / maintenance, and / or pay for parts and spares that are needed, then you shouldn't be riding. For your own sake and that of everyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure