Money Moral Dilemma: How should I use my theatre vouchers?

Options
Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 7 February 2017 at 12:00PM in Theatre, concert & events tickets
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
A friend kindly bought me vouchers to use on a pair of theatre tickets for my birthday, to go with her. I know there's a particular play she really wants to see. However I've seen it and hated it - should I just suck it up and take her?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Fan of the stage? See the London Theatre deals page for a range of £10-£40 West End tickets until Fri 10 Feb.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    It's not costing you anything and your friend wants to enjoy your company so go to the one she wants to see.

Have a few drinks before you go and it may not seem so bad next time you see it.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Find something else you both want to see.

I can't believe if she knows you've already seen the show she wants to see that she'd expect you to go again with her as your birthday treat.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    That not much of a birtday treat if she's dictating what show you go to. The whole idea of giving someone a gift is for their enjoyment.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • jgriggle
    jgriggle Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    This kind of reminds me of the Simpsons episode in which Homer buys Marge a bowling ball for her birthday (with 'Homer' engraved on it) even though she has no interest in bowling.

Just tell her you've already seen the play and you didn't like it. I wouldn't worry about appearing ungrateful as if there's an expectation that you see the play of her choice, she's clearly bought them for herself anyway.
  • Bee252
    Options
    Would you expect your friend to do that if the other way round?
    I don't think you should see something you've not only seen, but didn't like.
    If you'd take her anyway find something you'd both like.
  • AnneMary
    AnneMary Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you can't be honest with someone over something as straight forward as this you are not friends.
    However, it does depend on how exactly the gift was given - if it was explicitly to go and see her choice of play, that's what you should do. If it was for you to choose, you choose. That was the gift contract.
    No dilemma - again!
  • Sammy_Dexter
    Options
    It's your birthday and your choice. If she insists on going to the play she wants to see explain that you have already seen it and don't want to see it again but offer her your ticket to go with someone else. It is ridiculous for you to go if you don't want to.r Friendship is about honesty and if she is a true friend she will understand. If she doesn't, walk away.
  • Bellisima
    Bellisima Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 February 2017 at 10:24AM
    Options
    I feel I can usually be honest with my friends. If I don't like a play, movie, song or whatever then I just say so. I'm not rude or anything, my usually statement is "It's just not my cup of tea". You should do the same. There are so many fantastic theatre productions at the moment that I'm sure you can easily find something you both will enjoy. Have a good time!
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Definitely don't go and see the same play again but you choose which play and when. You obviously appreciate her company as she is a friend but it is your present so your choice:: be that the play ; the day; the friend.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • sparky421
    Options
    She's your friend so you can talk to her. Just tell her you've already seen it (with or without the extra bit about you hating it).

This is your birthday present. Why not look through all the many theatre productions together and find one you both want to see.

Communication usually works really well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure