New roof dispute - doesn't meet building regs - what do I do?

Options
After advice please...

In short: I owe a roofer firm £800 but the new roof doesn't meet building regs, so should I pay or not? If I don't pay - I don't get a guarantee on the work they have done.

Longer version:
I've had a new roof done, council came round to check it complied with building regs but wouldn't sign it off as the company had used the wrong type of insulation (rockwool instead of insulation boards), and so doesn't meet the regulations for u-value/energy efficiency.

Company came back and put some insulation boards in from inside the loft, but due to it being a loft conversion it's impossible to fully do from the inside, so you'd need to basically redo the roof to do it properly, to get it to meet the regulations.

Not sure what the company was playing at other than trying to cut corners, when they didn't think I was going to get the council round.

Otherwise the standard of work seems good, the council chap said so, and another roofer that took a look said they had used very good quality felt,

I owe the firm about £800 - outstanding invoice - but don't know what to do

I was told the roof would meet building regs - but it doesn't. Which is going to cost me money in the long run, when it gets picked up by a solicitor when we come to sell the house.

But if I don't pay them I don't get issued a guarantee for their work.

What do I do? Help! Thanks

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What drawings/spec did you give them to work to?
    What did their quote/tender say about insulation? Did it mention rockwool or did it say to building regs compliance?
    I.e. what have you got in writing about the insulation they would install?
    Sounds like they didn't involve building control at all, so doesn't sound like they had included for it and it's been left for you?
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    You get the council back to sign off the work, you get a Completion Certificate, and you pay the builder. What is the problem?

Buildings regulations are your responsibility, and your duty. So pick up phone and go for it.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    You get the council back to sign off the work, you get a Completion Certificate, and you pay the builder. What is the problem?
    The problem is that the council won't sign it off because the new roof doesn't meet building regs. Maybe you should have read the long version.

Oh hang on, it says that in the short version too....
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    The problem is that the council won't sign it off because the new roof doesn't meet building regs. Maybe you should have read the long version.

Oh hang on, it says that in the short version too....

Bleary eyes on my part, but also some doubts!

OP has not said what is impossible to do from the inside. Who is saying this? And why? Is OP saying the council have been around to re-visit and condemned the remedial works? Why was the work not being monitored earlier?

OP has a legal duty to make sure the work complies, the council know the history, and OP has to get to grips with the roofer. Otherwise the council could prosecute OP. Yet OP only seems concerned with future house selling, not being guilty of an offence.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you didn't specify compliance with building regs, you owe the builder as they have met their side off the contract.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If building control weren't involved, what about the floor?

How do you know the floor joists are to regs?
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds as if the loft was already converted, but the roof covering has been replaced externally. Presumably there are void areas which cannot be accessed from inside without taking walls down. The rest of the work has been done from the outside.

Is this right, OP?
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You'll end up negotiating something with the builders.

If you have proof you told them to do the works to building regs then you must insist this is done before you pay them. You have to give them a chance to finish the work to proper standards. If they refuse you'll have to hire another firm and take the first firm to court for the difference.
    If you have no proof you will probably ending up splitting the difference. Offer in writing that if they drop the claim for £800 you'll drop the claim for finishing the work to a proper standard.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Furts wrote: »

Buildings regulations are your responsibility, and your duty. So pick up phone and go for it.

OP said the Council wouldnt sign it off - because its incorrect.

I've had that on my last house. The Council was paying (a partial) grant towards the roof cost in that case I know - but I'm guessing the same principle applies. That being that they either will or won't sign it off. The roofer on mine hadnt done things the way the Council specified - and they wouldnt sign it off then until the roofer put things right. He duly did put them right and the Council signed it off. I would imagine things will play much the same way here.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Consumer Rights Act 2015. The roofer should have used reasonable care and skill, and should have known what the regs are.

Don't pay until the work meets regs. If you want further advice, google to find the number for Citizens' Advice consumer helpline.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure