WARNING! CarTrawler / Argus Car Hire - PepeCar AVOID!

Options

Comments

• Angela333
    Options
    My husband and I were vacationing in Slovenia and Croatia first 2 weeks of September, 2014. Although we have travelled to Europe every year through Germany – and NEVER had this problem in Germany this time we wanted to try rental in Slovenia to save driving from Germany. What a mistake this was!
    We prepaid 2 weeks rental through Cartrawler (Argus Car Hire) and SIXT Rent a car at Ljubljana airport. We went to pick up car at SIXT rental pick up and were totally shocked when the car rental agent request 10,000 Euros first in order to get the car. We were just beyond ourselves. I said we paid for the car and showed him rental voucher. Then he told us in order to get the car we MUST PAY 273 EUROS insurance and 2,000 EUROS deposit on the car. If we don’t want to do that he simply will not release the car to us. I complained to Cartrawler and just this morning receive a reply: They wrote - “I would like to confirm that the insurance you paid for was an optional product purchased at the rental desk that you have signed for at the rental desk”. Do you people see the SCAM here…..we didn’t have a choice in the matter. In order to get a car we HAD TO PAY – it was not optional!! I had insurance through my VISA card. BEWARE, NEVER HIRE A CAR VIA CARTRAWLER IN ANY COUNTRY!
    Our big mistake was not reading the blogs below, my experience is not an isolated example of price gouging by this outfit. I will continue to write about this outfit on every possible travel website on an ongoing basis. I hope other travelers will read it before they rent their cars through this outfit.
    We are yet to see where deposit money is?
  • w0000992
    Options
    hold on. If you checked what you were purchasing, you'd know that the car rental company was correct. There are theoretically 3 ways to hire a car:
    1) No insurance/ Collision Damage Waiver
    I think this is illegal in most countries, though apparently some US World Master cards provide insurance that cover you in event of an accident;
    The car rental company could require security of something like $50,000 to cover you writing off their car.

2) Normal - CDW with excess.
    The rental company will put a hold for the excess - usually $1000-$2000.
    Good travel insurance will cover you for this excess should you have an accident.

3) Super CDW or total (no excess) cover
    This will cost you an additional $20 or so per day, and avoids the need to inspect car before and after rental because you're covered for any damage you do.

Thus you were given the choice - allow the excess to be held on your credit card, or pay the premium so there would be no excess.

Perhaps the agent wasn't clear in what they were selling you, but in my experience if you check what you agree to, you can see what you're covered for and it seems reasonable to know that anything you're not covered for is going to cost you when you pick up the car (which is better than finding out you're up for the cost of the car and perhaps damage to third parties after an incident).
  • SimonPrimal
    Options
    I booked a hire car for a driving holiday in Italy via Argus Car hire.

While booking, I was offered collision damage waiver insurance.

When I arrived to collect the car, it transpired Budget offered their own CDW cover, at half the price, and to make matters worse, because we hadn't used their cover, we still had to provide a credit card to cover the excess, which we would then have to claim back via the insurance later.

We ended up getting a puncture on the way back to the airport.

Budget charged 191.32€ for the trouble, and of course, the "excess cover" provided by Argus (via Allianz) didn't cover punctures.

That's not the real gripe, however, as surreptitiously, Budget also charged an extra 156.83€ extra charges for the basic rental to our credit card at the same time, for a total of 348.15€. A very expensive flat tyre!

I've been trying to get this matter resolved (at which point I've been passed to cartrawler. After eventually managing to speak to someone, I was emailed a link to a webpage where I'm asked to upload documents and details, but which doesn't appear to work.

I've heard nothing back in a month, now when I go to the contact us page, it doesn't work, and won't display a phone number (nor is there a contact number on any of their email correspondence.

I managed to hunt down a number online, but each time I spend ages queueing, only to be cut off.

Not impressed!
  • w0000992
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss and inconvenience. I really hate these businesses that require us to give them "open access" to our credit card (I think it's just car rentals and hotels??)
    I requested a credit card company chargeback an unauthorised charge by a rental company once, but they treated it as fraud and cancelled the card, so that was still inconvenient, although I escaped the charge.

I have learned a couple of things though - deal directly with whoever is providing the car. These 3rd parties are just a point of confusion.
    And accept that there is going to be some additional costs if something happens like a puncture. It's very unfortunate that it happened on way to airport so I presume you couldn't get it repaired yourself. Obviously the rental company's repair rate will be higher, but that seems excessive and I would have refused to authorise. (I'm sure they would take the charge anyway, but I would be initiating charge back proceedings through your credit card company.)
  • SimonPrimal
    Options
    Based on another similar experience recently with rentalcars.com, I'd be inclined to agree that dealing direct will by my future course of action.

Alas, when you're already running late due to a puncture, don't speak the language, and have a plane to catch, it's not particularly easy to argue the point at the time!

NB - Many damage waiver excess policies cover punctures, or at least have the possibility to add this cover (since this experience I've been checking the small print, and it seems about 50% don't cover punctures, damage to windows or wing mirrors, the others 50% do, or at least the option to increase cover).
  • dave_clark
    Options
    Only booked a car to them once and I won't do it in the future.
    When arrived we've been asked for additional insurance and we said no the person in charge... We didn't notice he added it + 126 euro! anyway
    Last day, the car was out of order and we couldn't give it back to the car rental center, we called customer service that sent us a tow truck.
    We had to pay additional charges : Fuel ( no problem with it as we have to give the car back with full tank) but also additional charges because tank was not full ( how could we do that if car is out of order??) plus the famous insurance we didn't ask for...

Bad experience, customer service not helpful and very slow to answer...
    I will pay more to efficient and honest companies in the future
  • faye.portlock
    Options
    Alamo have done the same to my foreign credit card whilst hiring a car with them here in the UK. The excess of £1000 has been deducted from my credit card and I too will get back an amount with the exchange rate adjustment, costing me money. I am appalled that they are allowed to keep ripping us off this way
  • 2555nige
    Options
    This company act as an on-line broker and claim to find you the best price for a hire car. They hold your deposit and get a commission from the hire company when you collect.

DONT USE THEM !! Go direct to the hire company and don't get over charged like we did.

The price I was quoted by Argus to hire a med sized saloon car seemed reasonable. I made the booking online and made sure I read all the small print.

The price quoted, I was told, would be fixed and allowed for a second driver. This was important as we were travelling around Scotland and so wanted to share the driving. The paperwork gave us the name of the Car Hire Company and told us to make sure we had all the documents and refences required to hire the car at the airport.

We did this to the letter and arrived at the nominated car hire company just off the airport in Edinburgh. The car was ready but when I presented them with the paperwork they said they could not hire the car for the price on the Argus paperwork.
    Price quoted £143.00 incl 1/4 tank of fuel and second driver.
    Price we had to pay to take the car was £224.00 incl ¼ tank of fuel and second driver

The guy at the car rental company was very apologetic but said this happened all the time with Argus. On the Argus paperwork although we has put all the details in for the second driver it failed to add this to the booking cost. This extra price plus VAT bumped the cost up by £81.00.

In addition the paperwork from Argus stated clearly that a deposit of £500.00 would be held on our credit card until we returned the car. I had agreed to this but the hire car terms were £1250.00.

When we returned the car there were no problems so this was refunded and the car Hire Company gave me all their rates and paperwork to help me and support a claim to Argus.

I called them and was told to put my complaint in writing. I e-mailed them 5 times over 3 months as they never got back to me. I wrote to the HQ in Ireland (twice) and they have not even had the decency to contact me.

It seems they have your money so tough !!

Well now I have written this review I would strongly recommend NOT to use ARGUS CAR HIRE as they have no customer service and no regard for the customer.
  • diego_s
    Options
    Does anybody knows the Cartrawler complaints e-mail?
  • pottone
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Booked a car for NY while I was in Italy.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Big ridiculous joke when I arrive there and they refuse to give me the car unless I present them an Italian license or international once . ????[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]They say I made a reservation on an Italian web site so I am an International driver??? I tell them they are out of their mind and ....by the way my US driver license is indeed international. They keep refusing me the car. Not wanting to lose any more time I ask if there is a different of price I could pay. Nothing, I need to do a new reservation. Furious I call the Argus help number and they tell me there is been some kind of confusion and Dollar probably will refund me . This is never happen, I call back Argus and they tell me they are not going to refund me because I stated in the reservation that my country of residence was Italy. I would never have done that because my insurance is American and would never have covered me. Not only....in the contract I have there is no sign of "Italy" anywhere. I rent cars 7 months a year and this bs never occured to me. I decided not to deal with third part site anymore. Just deal directly with rent a car company![/FONT]
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback